charging new iPod? Am I crazy?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I used to have a 15 GB 3rd gen iPod. Just updated and get the 30 GB. It has only the USB cable to connect to my iBook.

My 15 G had an a/c adapter, meaning if I went on a trip for a few days, I'd bring the adapter along to recharge the iPod. Am I to understand that now the ONLY way I can charge my new iPod is by connecting it to my iBook? What if I don't want to bring the iBook along? And what do Imac / desktop owners do?

Does the iPod charge when my iBook is in sleep mode? Or does it have to be powered up? Or turned completely off?

Am I missing something here?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You can continue to use a FireWire to Dock connector cable. Your 3G iPod probably came with one, so you can just use that with the 5G iPod.

FireWire will charge the 5G iPod just fine, it just won't sync it any more.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I must be more stupid than I thought, as I don't understand your reply.

I don't have the 15gb iPod anymore, so I don't have a dock, or firewire-to-dock connector cable. But even if I did, I still don't see how that would be better? I used to be able to plug the 15gb directly into the wall, and now I can't.

Or is there an a/c adapter that the USB cable plugs into?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grimson

I must be more stupid than I thought, as I don't understand your reply.

I don't have the 15gb iPod anymore, so I don't have a dock, or firewire-to-dock connector cable. But even if I did, I still don't see how that would be better? I used to be able to plug the 15gb directly into the wall, and now I can't.

Or is there an a/c adapter that the USB cable plugs into?

Yes, you can buy a usb AC adapter seperately on the website, at an apple store, etc. If you had a firewire connector you could plug that into a firewire compatible AC adapter* (one with a firewire slot built in) which I assume came with your 3G ipod.

*As mentioned above, you can only use firewire for charging, but not syncing.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grimson

I don't have the 15gb iPod anymore, so I don't have a dock, or firewire-to-dock connector cable.

Oh, okay. Sorry.

Quote:

But even if I did, I still don't see how that would be better?

Because you could continue to use the accessories. You could have used the FireWire AC adapter with the FireWire Dock connector cable with your 5G iPod.

Likewise, as someone said, you can buy a USB AC adapter and use that with your existing USB Dock connector cable.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Okay, I think I get it. I appreciate your help, tho you guys have confused me a little too, maybe because I didn't make it clear what I have and don't have.

I HAVE a 30G iPod with a USB cable. That is it - that's all that comes with it.

I DON'T have a dock, a firewire dock connector cable, a 5G iPod, or a 3G iPod.

I'll hit my Apple Store today and see if they have an a/c adapter that my USB cable will plug into. Thanks again.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=M9837LL%2FA

BTW: absolute rip off that the new ones don't include this.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Thanks, that's what I need.

And you're right, it IS a ripoff.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Also, I'm not sure about the new ones but my 30gb iPod photo has to have this if you let the battery completely run out.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by brclark82

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=M9837LL%2FA

BTW: absolute rip off that the new ones don't include this.

You cannot post direct links links into the Apple Store when you are logged in, because they end up timing out for the rest of us and nobody can see what you linked to.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Oh, sorry I didn't realize. I wasn't logged in though, so I'll just let you guys find it yourself. iPod accessories --> power
  • Reply 11 of 11
    You can save yourself a ton of money and just buy a powered USB hub. As it's not for syncing it can even be USB 1. It'll cost maybe $5. Not elegant but practical.