Holographic Storage almost here

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Maxell announces 1.2Terabyte 120MBps Media

Available in Sept of 2006. Man talk about extended lead times.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Need an account to view the story...

Could you post it here? \
  • Reply 2 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    oops sorry about that.

Maxell Introduces the Future of Optical Storage Media With Holographic Recording Technology;

Optical Disc Features 1.6 TeraBytes of Storage Capacity and 120 MBPs Transfer Rate

FAIR LAWN, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 18, 2005--Maxell Corporation of America, the technological leader in advanced recordable media, and InPhase Technologies are bringing a revolutionary technology to market - holographic media. With storage capacities achieving 1.6 TeraBytes per disk and data rates as high as 120 MBPs, holographic technology is a true breakthrough in optical media. These features, along with a long archival life, make holographic media a compelling choice for storage and archival requirements.

Holographic data storage is superior to existing disc and hard drive technologies, and is also competitive against tape technologies in capacities and transfer rate. In addition, it offers a 50+ year media archive life and random data access. Finally, the media is expected to have the lowest cost per gigabyte of any commercial quality removable storage.

"Holographic media makes it possible for millions of pages of information and high definition images to be held on one small, relatively inexpensive disc," said Steven Pofcher, senior marketing manager at Maxell. "Imagine having a person's entire medical history, complete with MRI images, or storing a broadcast network's entire HD Library on a single disc. These are both possible with holographic technology, which has such large capacity that approximately a half million 300-page books can be stored on a single disc."

Holographic recording technology utilizes intersecting signal and reference laser beams to store data in a number of 3D hologram images capable of saving hundreds of data pages in a single location. One 5 1/4 inch-diameter optical disc can store up to 150 million pages - more than 63 times the capacity of DVD. Also, with holographic recording, a multiple of form factors, such as discs, cards, etc., and laser wavelengths (red, green, and blue) can be used.

"Combining high storage densities and fast transfer rates with durable, reliable, low cost media, Holographic technology is poised to become a compelling choice for next-generation storage and content distribution needs," said Liz Murphy, vice president of marketing for InPhase Technologies. "Unlike other technologies that record one data bit at a time, holography allows a million bits of data to be written and read in parallel with a single flash of light. This enables transfer rates significantly higher than current optical storage devices."

The first generation of holographic media is scheduled for release in September 2006. For more information on Maxell products, please visit Maxell's Web site,

• Reply 3 of 24
    bye bye blue-ray and HD-DVD!

That was quick.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Hello HAL 9000

How much would a Holo. reader and disc cost?

Here is the maxell link.

Maxell Holographic

Here is a link to the Maxell White Paper.

Holo-White Paper

Here is a chart of the Blu-ray, HD-DVD and Holographic Technologies.

NAB Report
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Hello, iPod Holo
  • Reply 6 of 24
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Is this read-write or just write once? I would never have enough disk space to store enough to write once - i would want to be able to keep adding to it.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mania

Is this read-write or just write once? I would never have enough disk space to store enough to write once - i would want to be able to keep adding to it.

If it's write once, it will be stupid to use this disk for a 1 MB file. What a waste of space
  • Reply 8 of 24
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    I donno about this particular product but holographic storage doesn't necessarily mean write once.

if this is so.. well why bother, seriously? DVDs are fine, you can't boot off a locked drive, and if you could it wouldn't be worth it anyhow.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Wow! that is amazing!!

one stop backup for most people.

or, a bootable OS and all your files.

WooT!
  • Reply 10 of 24
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

one stop backup for most people.

You said it!

A backup of all your data, music and DVD's!

Image 10 years on with 100TB discs.

The new holo-pod - Store every song ever played!

Dobby.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    this would be amazing for filmmakers and videographers. I'd be able to shoot with the hvx200 and store all my raw footage for archival purposes
  • Reply 12 of 24
    I'm more excited about NRAM, to tell you the truth.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'm thinking next-next-next-generation games here. Like, bundle fifteen of 'em on.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

If it's write once, it will be stupid to use this disk for a 1 MB file. What a waste of space

You can have multi-burn sessions.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so how much?? would a business open up and allow you to take you computer in and burn a disk for a fee or would it be cheap enough to buy yourself.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Bye bye BluRay and HD-DVD.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    What? No off the cuff inflamatory nay sayers?

Well allow me to retort!

Is anyone else skeptical of there actually being a break-through? I mean, it seems as though i've read these holographic storage claims quite a few times over the past decade. It's like the mythical fuel cell car which is always just around the corner.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Mythical fuel cell cars? They've been around for a while now. London uses fuel cell buses. Sure, it's far from becoming mainstream, but it's certainly not mythical.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    HOLOGRAPHIC STORAGE

APPLE IS DOOMED!!!

• Reply 20 of 24
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Mythical fuel cell cars? They've been around for a while now. London uses fuel cell buses. Sure, it's far from becoming mainstream, but it's certainly not mythical.

Sorry, my remarks were meant at least partially in jest.

Of course fuel cell vehicles exist. However, if you look at them as a percentage of all vehicles on the road, you'll see a number pretty close to zero. Not that there isn't great potential there, because there certainly is.

Rather, the point was that there are some technologies which have been the next big thing for quite a long time. Speech / natural-language recognition is another one of these technologies. Every 3 years or so there is a resurgence of news reports all touting an imminent break-through. Someday, one of these reports will be true and people will start transitioning to voice interfaces for _some_ tasks.

I think the same is true of holographic storage. Rumors surface every few years saying that the technology is almost ready. Is this the time it comes true? I'm all for it.