Quad PowerMac shipping times

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by jherrling

My order was pushed back to on or before Dec 6. It was supposed to go on or before the Nov 18. The specs were stock except wireless package.

Dont despair! Mine was pushed back to Dec 5 on Thursday (ordered 10/19, ship date 11/17), and then after cursing Apple repeatedly, I got the "Shipped" email last night!!

My setup:

2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5

4GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM- 4x1GB

2x500GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB SDRAM

Bluetooth Module + AirPort Extreme Card

Apple USB Modem

Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse - U.S English

Sean
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by rforten

Dont despair! Mine was pushed back to Dec 5 on Thursday (ordered 10/19, ship date 11/17), and then after cursing Apple repeatedly, I got the "Shipped" email last night!!

My setup:

2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5

4GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM- 4x1GB

2x500GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB SDRAM

Bluetooth Module + AirPort Extreme Card

Apple USB Modem

Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse - U.S English

Sean

Yeah I'm hoping monday. Thing is I ordered the same day that you did but Apple managed to f*** up my wire transfer so that took me a week to get straitened out. So I actually might have not "ordered" until about the 27th. At least I got free two day shipping out of the deal so I'm not going to be cursing at FedEx for too long.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Downtown dallas Apple store had a demo and one in the box! I doubt it will last long. Barefeats also posted a comparison test with a dual 2.5... unless you need the power the 2.3 would be a good buy
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by namachtag

Downtown dallas Apple store had a demo and one in the box! I doubt it will last long. Barefeats also posted a comparison test with a dual 2.5... unless you need the power the 2.3 would be a good buy

It's going to be my computer for the next 5 or so years. I primarily will be writing software but I also do a lot with FCP on the side for people. Not to mention I'm going to be dominating folding@home with it during the off hours. So the power will be used. Also with the developer's discount it's quite reasonable at about $2630 as configured.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by PlanB

I ordered a 2.3 dual on Nov. 1 with express delivery and was given a ship date of Nov. 8 On The 9th the ship date was revised to the 18th. I made a call to apple and they said it was due to unexpected demand. They're probably more keen on getting those quads out fast. If it doesn't ship by tomorrow I'm going to call and see what kind of a ship date they would give me on a quad. What's an extra grand? Any confirmation that they are indeed shipping quads?

I did change to a quad...and it shipped today. I recieved notification on the 19th. My apple scheduled estimated ship date was Dec. 6th so I'm well ahead of schedule. I should have it by Friday.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    I ordered my Quad G5 from the UK store by phone yesterday..

Custom options: Bluetooth/wireless + 7800GT

estimated shipping: 6 to 8 weeks !! eek! Estimated delivery 18th Jan

That happened as soon as I added the 7800GT to the order. When I previously added Bluetooth/Wireless option it went up from 9-11 days to 3-4 weeks..

Oh well, as long as they honour the £300 rebate on Logic Pro I will be happy.. They assured me they would, despite the fact that they are delivering the G5 after the cutoff date for sending back the labels off the boxes to get the rebate....hmmm they better..
  • Reply 27 of 52
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Whenever someone gets their Quad, I have the "calculate 50 million factorials" C app ready to go. Now auto-detects the number of processors, and allows specifying the number of iterations on the command line.

We had fun comparing performance with this app a couple of years ago.

Although, with the new gcc compiler, it seems that we may have to go to 100 million factorials to get good comparison of the new machines. My dual 2.0 gHz (Rev A) takes 3 seconds to finish 50 million.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Whenever someone gets their Quad, I have the "calculate 50 million factorials" C app ready to go. Now auto-detects the number of processors, and allows specifying the number of iterations on the command line.

Although, with the new gcc compiler, it seems that we may have to go to 100 million factorials to get good comparison of the new machines. My dual 2.0 gHz (Rev A) takes 3 seconds to finish 50 million.

Ok just recieved my quad, with the 23 incher display.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:

I'm game once it arrives. I'm 4 days beyond my original ship time at the moment. I have to call again to have is sent to my college instead of home because I have no chance of getting it before I leave.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Ok just recieved my quad, with the 23 incher display.

Doc, I'm putting the app up on my iDisk.

It's called ThreadedFactorial.zip

mount my iDisk from the Finder - the name is johnnylundy

drag the file ThreadedFactorial.zip to your desktop

double-click to unzip it

go to Terminal and type cd ~/Desktop

then ./ThreadedFactorial to execute it.

By default, it uses the number of processors in the machine and a loop count of 50 million. For a Quad this may finish in less than a second, so you can put two arguments on the command line, the number of threads you want it to generate and the number of loops.

So to do 100 million factorials, type

./ThreadedFactorial 4 100000000

for a Quad (you can specify as many threads as you want, but more than the number of processors won't make it faster).

for grins, to make it use fewer than the 4 processors, enter 1 or 2 or 3.

With 50 million factorials, my dual 2.0 gHz takes 3 seconds using 2 threads.

So the Quad should take 1 second.

FYI, when I say "factorial" I mean the app is calculating the factorial of 16, as many times as you specify. The app divides the work up evenly among the available processors or the specified thread number.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    OK I did it (but I only succeed the defaults parameters by directly clicking the threaded factorial icon on my desktop.

Quote:

Last login: Wed Nov 23 08:07:41 on ttyp2

Welcome to Darwin!

aclermont-ferrand-251-1-52-90:~ cedriccrouzet$ /Users/cedriccrouzet/Desktop/ThreadedFactorial; exit

4 processors detected in system.

Starting to create 4 threads.

Creating Thread Number: 0

Creating Thread Number: 1

Creating Thread Number: 2

Creating Thread Number: 3

Loop Done; Time=1 secs for thread#:1, Loops=12500000

Loop Done; Time=1 secs for thread#:3, Loops=12500000

Loop Done; Time=1 secs for thread#:0, Loops=12500000

Loop Done; Time=1 secs for thread#:2, Loops=12500000

logout

[Opération terminée]

So you where right : one second.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:

OK I did it (but I only succeed the defaults parameters by directly clicking the threaded factorial icon on my desktop.

So you where right : one second.

COOL! I was hoping it would see the 4 processors.

Calculate the factorial of 16, fifty million times in one second. Now that's more like it for the "underpowered" Apple hardware!

And I did not even code it for Altivec.

If you get time, try five hundred million.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by jherrling

My order was pushed back to on or before Dec 6. It was supposed to go on or before the Nov 18. The specs were stock except wireless package.

That's the word from a lot of people who ordered early. Some of those with ETA's of Nov 18-21 got pushed to Dec 5-7, while others already received theirs. CTO Wireless kits don't seem to matter.

I ordered a stock Quad last night, and was given December 7th. They must be waiting for parts or something, irregardless of when orders were placed.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:

COOL! I was hoping it would see the 4 processors.

Calculate the factorial of 16, fifty million times in one second. Now that's more like it for the "underpowered" Apple hardware!

And I did not even code it for Altivec.

If you get time, try five hundred million.

I did not suceed to change the settings : I don't know how to tape this character : ~ (this one is cut and paste).

BTW ; did you try this little software on a P4 or opteron ?

PS : I have a french keyboard
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:

I did not suceed to change the settings : I don't know how to tape this character : ~ (this one is cut and paste).

No problem. That character is a tilde - it is located below the escape key on the US keyboard. But it is a shortcut for the string "/Users/Youraccountname/"; i.e. it is a shortcut for the "home" directory.

So "~/Desktop" means in my case "/Users/johnnylundy/Desktop".

You can also just type "cd " (note the trailing space) into Terminal and then drag your Desktop folder from the Finder into the Terminal window, and it will automatically paste in the correct path. Then just hit Return and the cd (change directory) command will execute.

Quote:

BTW ; did you try this little software on a P4 or opteron ?

No, I have never owned any PC.

But it would be great it some members who have a Opteron could run the test. I will have to post the C source code for them to compile.

Quote:

PS : I have a french keyboard

It's got to have a tilde key somewhere, I would think. But it is not required, just a BSD shortcut.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Ordered a stock Quad G5 on 11/22 via overnight with an eta of Dec 7, and it got here on 11/25.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris_here

My quad is on it's way! Shipped 11 days earlier than expected. And the GF 6600 is good enough for me.

Chris

It's here! A first quick look at the case showed nice improvements: it's got little rubber feet, and that bluetooth airport antenna is cool.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by McCrab

Ordered the Quad on 29th October from dealer in Hong Kong (2x500 HD, 4GB, 7800) - dealer said to expect delivery in the last week of November or first week December.

Got confirmation from the dealer today that they received delivery from Apple and are checking the display (23") and config. I was getting concerned that the rumored delays of GeForce 7800GT configured units were true - thankfully it appears not to be the case. Should have it tomorrow. Can finally put Quicksilver 2x800 to rest!
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Woohoo!

Checked my order on the UK Apple Store today after returning from holiday and the order status says:

Shipped December 2nd !!

Extras: Nvidia 7800 GT , Wireless + Bluetooth

I ordered it on Nov 21st and my original ship date was Jan 18th!!

Very happy!
  • Reply 40 of 52
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Got it! Now flying along at 4 x 2.5g