iBook not charging the battery

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok so my friends iBook is not charging the battery. I know the battery contacts are on the logic board so does this mean you would need a new logic board to charge the battery?

Any ideas on how to fix this thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imac600mhz

Ok so my friends iBook is not charging the battery. I know the battery contacts are on the logic board so does this mean you would need a new logic board to charge the battery?

Any ideas on how to fix this thanks

Most likely it is the connection between the plug on the charger and the socket on the iBook. Watch the battery icon in the menu bar as you rotate the plug gradually around in the socket and see if the icon changes to the charge state.

Mine is very tempermental - a little pressure on the cable near the plug and it stops making contact.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Is the light on the power adaptor turning color? The connections between wall cord, brick, and computer cord can be tempermental on my iBook. If any are on the fritz, the charge light (orange/green) won't come on at all. Fiddling with the various connections might get it to flicker on, so you can see where the problem is. Apple replaces those parts free under warranty, and pretty cheaply if not.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    try using a different power adapter

if that works (and you are a DIY kinda guy)

you can find the break and fix it.

I know about power cords are family has three and all of them are duct taped together.