Apple tops Dell, Sony in online store ratings survey

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Well, well done apple...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Is this perhaps a case of "too much choice is a bad thing"?

Apple sells a fairly limited array of products - Dell sells a bajillion. Wading through all the choices on Dell's site is a nightmare - I would say especially so for a "casual" computer user.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, for whatever the reason, it looks good in print.

CU is widely read. I hope this results in some increased sales.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    The more time I spend specing out machines for clients on Dell's website (if they demand Dell, they get Dell) the more I'm convinced that they lay the site out on purpose to confuse you. There is no clear layout. There is no simple way to tell the difference between models. There are far too many overlapping models. They're product lineup is just a mess and they're website promotes that mess by making things worse.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by york2600

The more time I spend specing out machines for clients on Dell's website (if they demand Dell, they get Dell) the more I'm convinced that they lay the site out on purpose to confuse you. There is no clear layout. There is no simple way to tell the difference between models. There are far too many overlapping models. They're product lineup is just a mess and they're website promotes that mess by making things worse.

Certainly makes it much more difficult to compares apples to apples (within their product line)...it is called differentiation by distraction...it probably works quite well (sadly).
  • Reply 6 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The thing that drives me crazy about the Dell site (or any site that uses this technique) is the way they make you guess what "category" the thing you're looking for might be in.

Is it "home and home office? Is it "small business? Is it "medium to large business"? We're not going to let you look at a list of what we offer, you just have to pick one of our presorted bins and rummage around in there.

Stupid stupid stupid.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Does anyone here remember years ago when Apple was criticized for having so many models that it confused people? That was when Jobs simplified the lines.

Dell has so many lines of machines. It's why they sell so many. You can always find the one you want. It's really confusing, but they have machines priced in $50 intervals across several lines.

People looking to pay $850 will find something. The same thing for $1050, $1350, $450, etc.

Many people and companies actually buy this way.

Of course, they don't sell a huge amount of machines in any one line. It's like GM. none of their vehicles are number one, but they have many lines, and many variations within each line.

The only way Creative can stay in the portable player business, for example, is by making 30 or so players. None of them are big sellers, even their most popular units, but they make so many that overall they sell a fair amount.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I hope the in-store sales people learn more about there products. I am usually disappointed that I know more about there products then they do.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    It was an online survey. the Dell users were bombarded with ass-ware and the sony users were busy removing rootkits.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

The thing that drives me crazy about the Dell site (or any site that uses this technique) is the way they make you guess what "category" the thing you're looking for might be in.

Is it "home and home office? Is it "small business? Is it "medium to large business"? We're not going to let you look at a list of what we offer, you just have to pick one of our presorted bins and rummage around in there.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Dude, what's wrong with you? You trying to HELP Dell improve their web site? Let 'em continue to sink with their stock price.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Too bad Consumer Reports is rubbish. When they publish articles that say 30%(ish) Mac users reported having an infected Mac, it's hard to believe them...even when they publish glowing numbers like in this report.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I think the thing that makes Dell's website the worst is the maze you have to go through to just compare computers.

You go to their website and it asks you what category of usage is it for: home, business, etc. They don't just splay out all their computer lines out for you to see, they basically push a product at you which they say "is the laptop you want" even though it very well may not. Then they don't just give you a simple base price, you have to customize it. They also do not give very many pictures for an all round view of the product. The list just goes on and on .

Much like what addabox said.

Good job Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Too bad Consumer Reports is rubbish. When they publish articles that say 30%(ish) Mac users reported having an infected Mac, it's hard to believe them...even when they publish glowing numbers like in this report.

Consumer Reports is actually a pretty high quality magazine with a good reputation, though that statement about viruses on macs was quite misleading. I usually find they have excellent reviews and ratings systems for the breadth of goods they cover.

On topic, it's not a big surprise, especially considering most people here are quite experienced with the Apple Store online $$$. Besides, CS usually has Apple placed very high, if not highest, for things like customer support, product quality, and other such things (including their online store, evidently).
  • Reply 14 of 16
    "Of course, they don't sell a huge amount of machines in any one line. It's like GM. none of their vehicles are number one, but they have many lines, and many variations within each line."

This is exactly right. And has anyone read about GM's profitability recently? Dell seems to be following GM in more than one way.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    so how did Apple's walk-in store rate?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ptrash

so how did Apple's walk-in store rate?

Did you read the title of the article?