Christmas Gift for New iBook User

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My sister just got a new iBook (12 inch) a couple weeks ago. Any suggestions for cool christmas presents for her? She is just a basic user... i am looking to spend around $100.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by tutley

My sister just got a new iBook (12 inch) a couple weeks ago. Any suggestions for cool christmas presents for her? She is just a basic user... i am looking to spend around $100.

External backup drive.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Mouse.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Mouse.

Specifically, This one. If she's a basic user, she'll appreciate the seamless integration and won't care about only 4 buttons.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    AppleCare. Those things break more often than teeth in hockey.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    The backup drive idea is nice, if not something one could appreciate right away.

A mouse would be good - if the iBook sits on a desk often. If only occasionally, it won't be very useful! I like the Mighty Mouse, but a basic user might almost prefer something such as the Microsoft Starck (or as they put it, S+arck) Optical Mouse. It looks cool and is good for basic 3-button-plus-scroll functions. You'd also have money left over for other goodies at that point, too.

Games might be options. So would speakers (again, only if the iBook sits at a desk a lot). Earbuds or headphones would be great if she doesn't already have some and wants to listen to music all around the house.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    silicone keyboard protector

ipod

does she have bluetooth?--if so bluetooth ANYTHING

bluetooth mouse, bluetooth adapter for her ipod

bluetooth headphones (that's what im getting my wife so she can listen to her itunes thoughout the house)

applecare i think you have time to get that(don't you have like 90days to buy applecare/) , if it has a superdrive lots of dvd discs so she can backup to disks.

as far as the mouse, mighty mouse should be bluetooth and wireless(it's not, so i wouldn't get that), if you get her a mouse get a small wireless mouse like from kensington.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Hey nerds, he said his sister... Get her a nice bag to carry it in. I'm looking for one right now for my girlfriend.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Missing Manual ~ David Pogue

Or maybe an Airport Express... depends on your preference to stretch or shrink budget.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Hey nerds, he said his sister... Get her a nice bag to carry it in.

Ouch!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    iCurve stand

Laptop mouse $25 It isnt cordless, but it fits nicely into a small laptop bag and no batteries to worry about on the road

an Apple Pro keyboard and a nice desktop mouse (~$50 for both) to go with the iCurve would make a great home/office/dorm work station, it would be a great gift because it is practical and usable every day.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    regreg Posts: 832member
    A digital camera. iLife comes with the iBook and starting a photo library is something you can not start to early. If she is going to be going away to school soon, you might want to splurge and get an iSight.

reg
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

mines been pretty bulet proof
  • Reply 14 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    iLap. Excellent if she uses the laptop extensively on her lap, but also for desk use. A big ergonomic improvement. $49 for her laptop size, I believe.

Many of the other suggestions are great as well.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tutley

Mr Clean "Magic Eraser!" To remove palm and finger stains from the precious iBook, it runs about $2 !

I also purchased the Apple Care 3 year extended warranty for the peace of mind, but my iBook has been, and continues to be, rock solid!
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I'd give cool speakers, like Soundsticks. I gave them as a gift to my sister a new iMac user and she flipped for them-- they sound great and are "stylish." A bit expensive, but really cool.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    I'm reading this while backing up everything onto a backup HD. Went to Repair Disk Permissions and the HDs were shown in RED - oooops. I keep pretty good backups, but at times like these I'm even backing up stuff to my 40 gig iPod. Well, everything but music.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Easy GC, I have traveled outside the country twice with mine very ruggedly. It's been fine and frakly, seems tougher than powerbooks I have bumped into along the way.

I must confess though, my iBook is the only thing I didn't get AppleCare on.