Which iMac(2) model will be most popular?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
They're slow coming out of the gate, but do you think the combo model will be the most in demand?

It seems like the most bang for your buck and I'm guessing most people don't need a Superdrive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I second that. The Combo Drive model.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Superdrive, because it's 800 MHz.

(Hey pscates, I was out of the room every time you came in #OrangeInsider, come back again sometime, I'll try to actually answer you. )
  • Reply 3 of 21
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The superdrive model with the 1ghz chip when it will arrive : expect it at the end of 2002.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The SuperDrive model will be most popular, just as the iMac SE and iMac DV SE were most popular before it.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>The SuperDrive model will be most popular, just as the iMac SE and iMac DV SE were most popular before it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think their popularity had more to do with the graphite colour than the specs really. I would think the combo 'mid level' should be the bestseller
  • Reply 6 of 21
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    nah, people are spec. whores, and burning DVD's is just too cool. i'm voting the SuperDrive model.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I think alot of people are going to have trouble going down to the 40 GB drive, and the 700 MHz processor....

Still great bang for the buck though.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I say triple two:

The iMac2

Rev 2 (or b)

Second model

That will very identical to the top model now (super drive, 800 Mhz aso)
  • Reply 9 of 21
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    If people start canceling their orders becuase the iMacs are not shipping, who knows what might happen.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    All things equal, I think the combo drive would sell better. But, with 100 more MHz and 20GB larger HD, PLUS DVD-R, I chose the top of the line. My guess is that the Combo would slightly outsell the Superdrive barring any larger shortages than there are now.

~bauman
  • Reply 11 of 21
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Superdrive model. At the rate Apple is going, I bet no more than 20 Combo/CDRW models are gonna get out the door by summer.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    If all iMacs had the same CPU, then I'd say the combo drive iMac would be the best seller. But with the current lineup, I'd say the superdrive model is probably going to sell the most. It's difficult to call, because the price is a bit high for the superdrive model, but I think people are spec whores as was already mentioned.

The big unknown factor is not demand, but supply. If Apple doesn't get their sh!t together soon, then their quarter profits are going to be bad, very bad. People have a tendency to cancel orders when they take too long.

I know of at least one person who bought a Wintel because they didn't want to wait on the iMac. Apple really fu[ked up by announcing the iMacs before they were ready to meet demand. I think Jobs just wanted something to talk about at MWSF and w/o the iMac the show would have been a failure.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Since the Superdrive model is faster, I think they'll be the most popular.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Don't forget the cost factor. The CD-RW well sell better than the Combo for that reason, IMO.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    whatever model is shipping

things are looking pretty grim if those LCD availability reports are true
  • Reply 16 of 21
    The high end will be the most popular...at least for this year.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    c5jc5j Posts: 25member
    I'm guessin' at the combo, because the DVD-R is not DVD-RW and not able to burn doubleside, 9.5 GB.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by c5j:

<strong>I'm guessin' at the combo, because the DVD-R is not DVD-RW and not able to burn doubleside, 9.5 GB.</strong><hr></blockquote>

• Reply 19 of 21
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by c5j:

<strong>I'm guessin' at the combo, because the DVD-R is not DVD-RW and not able to burn doubleside, 9.5 GB.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I doubt that'll be a problem for many people.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Don't really mean to bring this thread back to the top, but I just noticed that the low end model writes two times faster than the Combo model.

It's very likely that many have a pair of speakers, and some RAM from another Mac.

And if you have a separate "real" DVD player, this low end model may end up being a very popular given it's lower price.