bluescreen of death on a mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...well, not quite.

My new mac mini arrived at work this morning. I eagerly set it up, turned it on, apple logo, spinning gear thing, then after 30 seconds, a plain bright blue screen and nothing else.

Been on the phone to Apple support for over half an hour, doing the usual thing, zapping the p-ram, going to the boot menu, trying to boot from the install CD. Ran FSCK, done reset-all (i think it was that, can't remember), ran the hardware test which showed nothing as faulty, still get the blank blue screen.

So the guy on the phone said he'd get someone to come and collect it and repair it. He then told me it could take about 2 weeks. I told him that was not going to happen, that they were going to send me a new one in the next few days, or I'm not going to pay the invoice for the one I've received. Now I'm waiting a call back from someone to confirm that.

Rah.

Anyone else ever got anything like this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    It sounds like there's either a problem with the graphics card or the installation of the OS & system. With the failed boot from the OS CD, though, it seems like the graphics issue is more likely.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Just tell them you're sending the inoperative machine back... not for repairs... you're just returning it. If it hasn't ever worked, then you don't want it repaired, you want it replaced.

Then get on the phone/web and order a new one for overnight delivery. You'll get the new one tomorrow, and they can take thier time collecting the faulty one
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Just tell them you're sending the inoperative machine back... not for repairs... you're just returning it. If it hasn't ever worked, then you don't want it repaired, you want it replaced.

Then get on the phone/web and order a new one for overnight delivery. You'll get the new one tomorrow, and they can take thier time collecting the faulty one

I'll be finding out tomorrow what's going to happen. They even tried to get me to take it to an Apple authorised service center! Erm.... no!
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Jot down the serial number on that imac. If they make you send it back before they send you another one you can use this number to make sure they aren't just repairing it and sending it back to you since a new imac should have a different serial number.

wait... is there a way to get a serial number without go to "about this mac" in the OS?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

Jot down the serial number on that imac. If they make you send it back before they send you another one you can use this number to make sure they aren't just repairing it and sending it back to you since a new imac should have a different serial number.

wait... is there a way to get a serial number without go to "about this mac" in the OS?

on desktops in on the side somewhere, on a iBook or Pbook under the keyboard, or you can always look on the box it came in
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Aha!

Victory is mine!

My threat not to pay the invoice worked - they're sending me another one out either today or monday.

I was all prepared for an argument too
  • Reply 7 of 22
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Fishcake

Aha!

Victory is mine!

My threat not to pay the invoice worked - they're sending me another one out either today or monday.

I was all prepared for an argument too

Kudos to you on the victory ! I'm thinking it is more of a Customer Satisfaction thing than the 'not paying the invoice thing?' At least that's what I'd like to think .
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by MrSin

I'm thinking it is more of a Customer Satisfaction thing than the 'not paying the invoice thing?' At least that's what I'd like to think .

Don't hold your breath...
  • Reply 9 of 22
    heh. helped my cousin Switch his parents over to mac a week ago. the mac mini was excellent right off the bat, was a bit sluggish (it's the original 256mb ram 1.25ghz g4 modem only) but with 10.4.3 installed it started being more responsive and fluid. all in all, a great replacement of the "there were more virus files than files itself" win98 ultracrapbox my poor aunt and uncle were using............
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Still waiting \

I don't know if i'm getting too obsessed or what, but I keep jumping up every time I hear someone knock at the delivery door
  • Reply 11 of 22
    dont worry, its very normal your new mac will definitely be worth the wait though. let us know if it is the stealth updated 5400rpm drive, ati 64mb vram, 1.5ghz
  • Reply 12 of 22
    The original one was, so hopefully my replacement will be too!

(though it was the 1.42 when i ordered it)
  • Reply 13 of 22
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

yeah, except the problem with that tactic is that, if apple decides to drag its heels on refunding the money, or your credit card does (or both), you're out an extra $500 until it gets resolved (and earning interest on that $500 the whole time).

yes, it should be fixed, credited, etc., but my time s also valuable, and i don't like having to chase down a long path of phone numbers, hold times, inaccurate information, and first-, second-and third-level tech support before i can actually talk to someone who can actually DO something.

can you tell i have been burned before?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

yeah, except the problem with that tactic is that, if apple decides to drag its heels on refunding the money, or your credit card does (or both), you're out an extra $500 until it gets resolved (and earning interest on that $500 the whole time).

yes, it should be fixed, credited, etc., but my time s also valuable, and i don't like having to chase down a long path of phone numbers, hold times, inaccurate information, and first-, second-and third-level tech support before i can actually talk to someone who can actually DO something.

can you tell i have been burned before?

That's the beauty of buying stuff on a corporate 30 day credit account

Anyway, it's all been arranged now anyway.

Still not here yet, but then again it is only 9:30. It was apparently shipped on Monday (from Ireland?) so I hope I receive it today, so I've got today and tomorrow to play with it. I'm off on Friday, and I want to get it set up securely so that people at work can't completely fu.... I mean won't configure it against my tastes
  • Reply 15 of 22
    nice do let us know how it goeth.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Hooray! It's arrived!

Heh - apple told me just to send the actual computer back and not the cables, but it looks like they've sent me an entire pack, so I've got a load of spare cables now!

Not set it up yet though - gonna go to the new Apple Store in Manchester in a few minutes. I'll let you all know what that's like (if of course it's amazingly different to anywhere else)
  • Reply 17 of 22
    And here I am, using it now.

Lovely.

BTW, the Apple store was quite interesting - it's quite hard to visualise how big the 30" display is until you've seen it in real life. TBH it was a bit overwhelming - not sure I could work with it. Apart from the fact that it's stupidly expensive
  • Reply 18 of 22
    cool..! give us a rundown of the specs. and is it 5400rpm drive? 64mb vram?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    1.5GHz, 64MB VRAM, not sure of the speed of the HD - had a look at the model - it's a seagate, so i'll check the model out on the site tomorrow.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Yep - it's the Seagate ST9808211A 5400RPM drive.