Oprah favorite things

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Oprah just gave new iPods as past of her holiday gift show. Pretty cool. This is the second time she's given them away, I think...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Ugh, she just gave Sony Viaos..
  • Reply 2 of 9
    watching that makes me sick cuz I'm not there
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Don't get me wrong - I'd take a free iPod (Video, please!) in a heartbeat, but c'mon....is Oprah doing that badly?

Last year, brand new cars.

This year, brand new iPods.

Next year, brand new McDonalds Gift Certificates?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac~N~Cheese

Last year, brand new cars.

This year, brand new iPods.

Well, considering every single person in the audience got an iPod ($299), a Sony Vaio ($1699), a Blackberry, some jewelry, some clothing, etc., I'm sure the total value of things was somewhere between $5000-10000 per person. I'm not sure how many people were in the audience, but assuming 250 people, that's 1.25 to 2.5 million dollars spent. I wouldn't say that's too bad.

Not to mention the house she donated to someone a few weeks ago, custom-designed by her friend.

Or other stuff like that.

Really, she's hardly doing badly.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    That makes me sick. Why do all of those cheesecake eating housewives need it? Oprah could do more for people who matter.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    well, this time it wasn't housewives. They were Hurricane Katrina relief workers, so I think they deserved it.

Last year when they gave the cars out, it turns out people had to pay for the taxes on it, some 7,000 dollars. But oprah was nice enough to later pay for the taxes. They went under luxury taxes because they were gifts.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

That makes me sick. Why do all of those cheesecake eating housewives need it? Oprah could do more for people who matter.

Oprah has donated her share of wealth...to the poor, needy and the middle class.

http://www.oprah.com/uyl/oan_landing.jhtml
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

well, this time it wasn't housewives. They were Hurricane Katrina relief workers, so I think they deserved it.

And I think they were all teachers last year, not just random audience members.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Sony Vaios... how gross.

This young lady is in desperate need of a Nano or video iPod!! I'm a starving college student!!