Nissan.com being sued

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
http://www.nissan.com/Digest/The_Story.php

The is total BS. I have a huge problem with large companies thinking that just because they've trademarked a name they own all domain rights to that name. Shame on Nissan Motors for trying this crap knowing 20 years ago they were called Datsun.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    They know they can't win the suit, they're just hoping they can scare the little nissan, or settle at something.

Just one of the many problems with our current legal system.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I had sympathy for his cause until I saw this.

Quote:

Nissan Motor's French Connection

The French automaker Renault holds a 44.4% controlling interest

in Nissan Motor.

15% of the French automaker Renault, is in the hands of the French government

In other words "hate them. They are FRENCH!"
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Perhaps, perhaps not. I'm not so sure "French" is the operative phrase here as is "French government," or, simply "government." I think the whole Anti-France thing has cooled off considerably.

A lot of people, Americans especially, distrust government. It could just as easily be German, Japanese, or American government, and I'd still be a bit peeved. Consider the idea of a foreign nation's government applying a civil suit to an individual in a different nation because they didn't like his name. It's not a pleasant one.

Off topic: The Clio Sport is cool, as is the 406. I actually have a thing for French cars, which is too bad because they aren't sold in America.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    The guy was ignorant for not trademarking his business name years before Nissan motors changed it's name.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Datsun was only a trademark.

The company has been known as Nissan Motor Co, Ltd. since 1934.

I had a '73 240Z that my Dad gave me in '82. That key had "Nissan Motor Co. Ltd." printed on it.

Check the Wiki.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    With just a little word play, that wiki link could support both arguments for and against your case. I can't trust it or read it well enough to base a decision off it. I will need another source.

As for the guy's situation, (from what I read) if it were me, I would turn this around 180º and sue Nissan for use of the name and force them to stop immediately. Or try... to show them I mean business. (I don't put up with BS and would go straight for the jugular.) And a extra $10,000,000 would make a great petty cash account.

I have a feeling this is mostly about the domain name.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    YEA! A genuine double post AND I may have crashed the server!

I'm good.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    This won't go anywhere.

Recall a similar case with a Midas Muffler (big company) and Mitas Discount Mufflers (one man shop). It was his name and the big company was told to suck it up - no matter how close the spelling and sound was - even though they were in pretty much the exact same business.

Also, near me is a McDonald's Family Restaurant (greasy spoon with an ethnic flair) that has been named that for a few decades. That big corporation with the same name in the same business tried to get this place to change their name, but again, the big boys were told to take a hike.

Yep, this is all about the domain name.

Remember how barbie.com was the name of a real person before Mattel got all uppity?

Datsun should just give the guy a few bucks and go away with their tail between their legs.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    The Internet needs to be "first come first serve" unless they have verifiable proof of cyberquatting which this case does not appear to be.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I had sympathy for his cause until I saw this.

In other words "hate them. They are FRENCH!"

I don't think "hate the french" is/was ever a big thing as much as hate the government of france. Maybe there is not a difference.

I can say from personal expereinces (a lot of them), you are more likely to get cussed because you are an American in France as opposed to a French citizen going to America getting cussed because they are French.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I don't have any opinion on this subject. I just think that the french connection argument deserve the guy. Playing the decreasing anti-french argument is stupid.

Apple will do exactly the same with any other companies.

When you make a google search about Nissan, you will find nissan.com who have nothing to do with cars. It's a kind of free search motor advertising. Companies hate this.

PS : French connection was a very good movie with Gene Hackman (Popeye).
  • Reply 12 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Ouch, but it'll probably hurt the little guy less to change his business's name.