agreed UGLY

the mac mini 'clone-a-like' is much better IMO
  • Reply 3 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Imagine this as

storage for your child!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    They have tiny ones too. Ugly? No. But that subjective anyway. Why even compare it to a Mac mini when its not design to look anything like it. The Mac mini is unique, looking nothing like the iBook and iMac, nor the PowerBook and Power Mac.

After buying two LaCie CD-burner however, I'm weary of their products acoustically. The older bluish-purple burner has a constant fan when turned on and the newer Ferrari-styled one is the loudest piece of equipment I own. IIRC its a Lite-on. They might as well have it equipped with an air-horn to drown out the sound during use.

If these mobile blocks are passively cooled and use Seagates then I can see me buying one.

Did anyone else notice the mobile version was the only one offered with a FireWire interface?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

Ugly? No. But that subjective anyway. Why even compare it to a Mac mini when its not design to look anything like it.

After buying two LaCie CD-burner however, I'm weary of their products acoustically.

isnt that a contradiction?

a CD burner ISNT a hard drive

so if *I* cant compare... then why can you??

-----

YES its subjectively UGLY as SIN IMO... i have a mac mini, so i wouold think, providing the Lacie "mini clone" hard drive suits my needs it would LOOK far better in my set up.

im sorry that might not have been clear from my first post.

Rod
  • Reply 6 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My 200GB Lacie d2 is quiet as a mouse. Nearly NO fan noise whatsoever. Only the clicking of the drive when it's being used, which is still fairly quiet.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

My 200GB Lacie d2 is quiet as a mouse. Nearly NO fan noise whatsoever. Only the clicking of the drive when it's being used, which is still fairly quiet.

Thank you VERY much for that info

i will now be ordering one today because of that... i had put it off last night as i was unsure of how loud actual drive noise was.

Thanks again

Rod
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

Thank you VERY much for that info

Cheers!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Cute, but something most people are going to feel self-conscious about having.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I agree, and I have a d2 Extreme that was clearanced from an Apple store, impressively quiet, despite being a dual drive enclosure.

"Professional storage is now easy and fun"

Appealing to the artsy side, yes, but Lego Brick styling is professional? And not offering Firewire connectivity is professional?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

My 200GB Lacie d2 is quiet as a mouse. Nearly NO fan noise whatsoever.

That's because it doesn't have a fan.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lazyhound

That's because it doesn't have a fan.

That explains why I've never heard it.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i'm looking for a backup hard drive. but i need real world reviews. we/ you should give suggestions

maccentral rates iomega and owc best but people have good things to say about the maxtor one touch

help??
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I'll reiterate my support for LaCie. I've bought 1 internal and 2 external drives from them and have been nothing but happy. The d2 line of drives is AWESOME! Solid construction, quiet, and very reliable. It even has a one-button backup feature, though I don't use it.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Imagine this as

storage for your child!

You mean the closet?

Oh, you meant for the child's files. Not the child.