First Intel Macs on track for January

Comments

• Reply 361 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

This is why I've been saying that the best solution will vary with each persons needs.

There is no best solution that will be the same for everyone.

Yep. To me it actually doesn't matter what speed VirtualPC runs at either. Even if it ran at 1/3rd the speed of the PPC version (which I'm sure it won't) having it run in a window alongside my Mac OS toolset is much more important than any other consideration. All it has to do is run IE6.
  • Reply 362 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

I've not played with VMware, Xen, WINE or Crossover so perhaps someone could answer this.

The advantage I see with running VirtualPC over dual booting, apart from the obvious ability to run two OSs at the same time, is that you can drag and drop files between Explorer and Finder and cut and paste between the two OSs. That IME is worth the price of VirtualPC.

For me it's secondary advantage is I've got three VPC sessions, each with a different browser installed. It's the best way to test IE compatibility.

hi aegis,

1.the promise of wine, crossover, darwine,is that the file system is seamless. a pc file say notepad.exe is right there, you can see it in the mac os finder, drag it anywhere you like, etc. so, better than virtual pc in the sense that there is only one primary file system (your mac hard disk) to worry about, unlike virtual pc where you have your different guest file systems for each guest virtual machine

2.yes, with that aspect VPC and also vmware (for linux and windows) offers a superior experience in that regard because that is a case where you *do* want to completely simulate various operating system environments -- the only hit is that you have to assign separate memory spaces to each guest OS. wow, we could be 5-10 years out from this, but imagine if virtualisation tech gets sophisticated enough that it would split memory spaces on the fly really intelligently

so anyway i think what melgross said a while back is relevant. there are a lot of good options opening up now for windows and mac osX86 harmony:

1. dual booting

eg. best for gaming

2. crossover/wine/darwine/etc

eg. best for running windows applications seamlessly alongside mac applications in os X environment

3. virtual pc for mac os x(86)

eg. best for testing and simulating guest windoze environments, also handy where darwine support for an app is incomplete

4. intel CPU virtualisation technology?????
  • Reply 363 of 451
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

hi aegis,

1.the promise of xen, wine, crossover, darwine,is that the file system is seamless. a pc file say notepad.exe is right there, you can see it in the mac os finder, drag it anywhere you like, etc. so, better than virtual pc in the sense that there is only one primary file system (your mac hard disk) to worry about, unlike virtual pc where you have your different guest file systems for each guest virtual machine

2.yes, with that aspect VPC and also vmware (for linux and windows) offers a superior experience in that regard because that is a case where you *do* want to completely simulate various operating system environments -- the only hit is that you have to assign separate memory spaces to each guest OS. wow, we could be 5-10 years out from this, but imagine if virtualisation tech gets sophisticated enough that it would split memory spaces on the fly really intelligently

so anyway i think what melgross said a while back is relevant. there are a lot of good options opening up now for windows and mac osX86 harmony:

1. dual booting

eg. best for gaming

2. crossover/wine/xen/darwine/etc

eg. best for running windows applications seamlessly alongside mac applications in os X environment

eg. best for testing and simulating guest windoze environments, also handy where darwine support for an app is incomplete

4. intel CPU virtualisation technology?????

Well said.

#4 is a real question, isn't it? The chip itself is supposed to be partitioned off in this scheme, just like disk partitions. Whatever happens in one should not affect the other. Still, there will be performance losses for each OS running. Just how much remains to be seen. It both are being used at the same time we will see that is just can't be helped.
  • Reply 364 of 451
    yeah, you know, something like this virtualisation deal is where intel needs someone like apple to really apply it well... i am wondering if this is something iSteve saw that he really liked 8)

edit: say this 5 times fast: apple applies applications absolutely applicably .. apple applies applications absolutely applicably .. apple applies applications absolutely applicably .. apple applies applications absolutely applicably .. apple applies applications absolutely applicably .. apple applies applications absolutely applicably ..
  • Reply 365 of 451
    Quote:

Wouldn't this work just as well as dual booting, now that we're on Intel?
  • Reply 366 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Ha! Read back about fifteen twenty posts.

This discussion just goes round and round.
  • Reply 367 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

No. VPC lets you drag and drop between OSs whilst both are running, share networking, hardware and it's much easier to create virtual partitions without having to mess about with actual real hard disk partitions.

For instance, I've a backup copy of a clean Win2000 install whoch I use whenever my current VPC win2000 install goes bad.

I think it's also quite sad that we're talking about Intel's new virtualization technology when IBM have been doing it for decades (at least since I used it back in 1986) and the POWER chips for quite some time too. Ah well.
  • Reply 368 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

No. VPC lets you drag and drop between OSs whilst both are running, share networking, hardware and it's much easier to create virtual partitions without having to mess about with actual real hard disk partitions.

For instance, I've a backup copy of a clean Win2000 install whoch I use whenever my current VPC win2000 install goes bad.

I think it's also quite sad that we're talking about Intel's new virtualization technology when IBM have been doing it for decades (at least since I used it back in 1986) and the POWER chips for quite some time too. Ah well.

That's true, but IBM only had it for it's own OS's.

And now it's affordable.
  • Reply 369 of 451
    Quote:

1.the promise of xen, wine, crossover, darwine,is that the file system is seamless. a pc file say notepad.exe is right there, you can see it in the mac os finder, drag it anywhere you like, etc. so, better than virtual pc in the sense that there is only one primary file system (your mac hard disk) to worry about, unlike virtual pc where you have your different guest file systems for each guest virtual machine

This is true for WINE and its derivatives, but Xen really shouldn't be on that list.
  • Reply 370 of 451
    Quote:

That's true, but IBM only had it for it's own OS's.

Of course it only works for operating systems that actually run on their hardware, but that should include Linux as well.
  • Reply 371 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by RazzFazz

Of course it only works for operating systems that actually run on their hardware, but that should include Linux as well.

Yes, with IBM being a big supplier of Linux these days.

Remember when it was hoped that they would be a big supplier of OS X as well?
  • Reply 372 of 451
    Quote:

This is true for WINE and its derivatives, but Xen really shouldn't be on that list.

fair enough mate. i'll edit tha post.
  • Reply 373 of 451

...Remember when it was hoped that they would be a big supplier of OS X as well?

actually, i think i missed that one for some reason.... well, looks like it hasn't worked out as hoped
  • Reply 374 of 451
    Quote:

Remember when it was hoped that they would be a big supplier of OS X as well?

Hoped by whom?

Just ill-informed rumour-merchants, I'd suspect.
  • Reply 375 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by krispie

Hoped by whom?

Just ill-informed rumour-merchants, I'd suspect.

Not ill informed at all.

It was thought by analysts and those in the industry that IBM might offer OS X on POWER or PPC servers.

IBM is OS neutral. That's why it was thought that they would be interested in reselling an OS from its longtime partner, as it offers them from it's longtime (first partner) rival MS.

Don't forget that Apple and IBM had combined to produce an OS before, and while that project didn't result in the planned OS, both companies have used technologies from that project.
  • Reply 376 of 451
    Quote:

IBM is OS neutral.

Uh, ever heard of i5/OS, AIX or z/OS?
  • Reply 377 of 451
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Exactly IBM want to control the server market, and you can't do that if you don't control the OS, especially if you sell services.
  • Reply 378 of 451
    Quote:

You know what I mean. I said that they have their own. They sell other OS;s other than their own as well. Novell, Windows, Linux. Others over the years as well.

IBM is a solutions company. They reccomend products to their customers even if it means that they resell another companies product other than their own.

They've sold Oracle's database to customers who were buying their machines rather than Db2 when the customer preferred that.
  • Reply 379 of 451
    Quote:

You know what I mean. I said that they have their own. They sell other OS;s other than their own as well. Novell, Windows, Linux. Others over the years as well.

That only really applies to xSeries, for which there's no IBM proprietary OS anyway (well, none that still breathes, so OS/2 doesn't count). i-, p- and zSeries machines AFAIK are only offered with IBM proprietary operating systems or Linux (or both when using LPAR).
  • Reply 380 of 451
    Quote:

That only really applies to xSeries, for which there's no IBM proprietary OS anyway (well, none that still breathes, so OS/2 doesn't count). i-, p- and zSeries machines AFAIK are only offered with IBM proprietary operating systems or Linux (or both when using LPAR).

That's true, but IBM has other product lines, and is even expanding them. The longevity of the old 400 series surprised even them.