And people ask why I don´t like Apple - the company?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So I want to be able to use a TV to present the pictures I have on my iPod. Since it didn´t come with an AV cable I´ll have to buy one. It looks like any ordinary cheap AV-to-RCA cable buit I check at Apples (they might have done something special to the cable so an ordinary won´t work).

Well seems like it isn´t any ordinary AV-to-RCA. From Apple:

Quote:

The iPod AV Cable provides composite video and audio output for viewing photo slideshows with music on a TV. This cable is made specifically for iPod with color display (other AV cables are not compatible with iPod with color display)

Just to be 100% certain I try out the AV-to-RCA I have and Apple tells the truth. It doesn´t work. Better buy that cable.

But then I come across this. Turns out Apple DID take an ordinary AV-to-RCA design, replaced some of the wires with eachother in the iPod and on the cable and viola, they have a proprietary AV-to-RCA cable and connector JUST TO MAKE A FEW BUCKS EXTRA.

Fuck 'em

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Anders, ´ er ikke en apostrof - den sidder ved siden af ø
  • Reply 2 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Well fuck... ermm thank you
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I figured this out in about 10 seconds. I actually tried to use my proprietary iPod cable with someone's digital camera (to output video from the camera to a TV). Then: What? It doesn't work? I figured Apple had done something tricky, so I switched the cables around and it worked.

I'll admit it's a little shady on Apple's part, but it does make them a little more money.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Well fuck... ermm thank you

It's just one of my pet peeves

Back on topic, you can use a regular cable though. Just use the yellow cable in the white plug, the red cable in the yellow plug and the white cable in the *tadaaa* red plug.

They've (not they´ve :P) switched the two rings.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    you're freaking kidding me???????

Does this also apply to the video out from previous iBooks that had to use a 'proprietary' cable?

OMFG... I'd be so pissed off it was true...
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Kinda like how the pro keyboard and keyboard extension cables are notched, so they're not standard USB cables .. always made me laugh .. in an angry way.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    you think THATS bad.....

i BOUGHT a logic 3 ipod cable.. and it DOESNT WORK!!!! the audio comes thru ok... just no frickin picture... the BRASTARDS
  • Reply 8 of 14
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    I use Bluetooth, so the wireless keyboard doesn't have that problem.

Just wondering about the monitor issue though - if a second monitor was used, I gather that Anders' dilemma would blight me then?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    I don't use iPod by the way
  • Reply 10 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Does this pinswap trick also work on the ipod Photo/60GB color (pre-video)?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Does this pinswap trick also work on the ipod Photo/60GB color (pre-video)?

Yes.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    This is similar to how cell phone manufactures all have a different plug for their chargers. It pisses me off. Motorola has different plugs for different phones.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Well tahts Mot for you. Nokia and SE very rarely do that and ony when technically nessesary.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    indeed... Nokia rules for that!

I think all chargers in the world should standardize to either a Nokia charger type or to USB...

I still use my Nokia charger from 8 years ago with the most current model!

I think Nokia made a fairly recent Nokia with a different plug and they got murdered for it because of this...

I would imagine the product manager got shot too...