Pictures of Quad G5 Liquid Cooling System?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Haven't seen any yet, but with quad's arriving, is anyone curious how it compares to the old system?

EDIT:

My quad came in, so I thought I'd post some pictures. First pics I know of for the new liquid cooling system:

The Old system (Dual-2.5 and 2.7ghz):

New System (Quad G5):

It contains 2 pumps, versus 1, and they added cured sealant to all fittings:

If there is a leak, a special pad (sensor/pigment change?) below the assembly looks like it'd catch:

I'm not sure how one would see a leak, when the whole assembly is normally hidden:

The system still has parts by Delphi, assembled in China, under the Cooligy brand:

Overall it's quiet, except for a dim hum that can be heard in a quiet room. It's a slightly louder system than a Dualcore 2.3, but as anyone who's heard one, it's still whisper-quiet compared to any previous G5 or G4 tower.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Isn't the Quad aircooled?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by StealthRider

Isn't the Quad aircooled?

HAHA, nah

it's the same as the old one, I think
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

HAHA, nah

it's the same as the old one, I think

See above.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Apparently. Must have been the other dual-cores people were talking about.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    It looks like a truck.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I read somewhere thought that the quad processors still run at around 60'C at full. Isn't that kinda hot?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

I read somewhere thought that the quad processors still run at around 60'C at full. Isn't that kinda hot?

In a word: No.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    My stock quad G5 after idling for 15 minutes:

43.7031 CPU A0 DIODE TEMP temp

44.4375 CPU A1 DIODE TEMP temp

44.6875 CPU B0 DIODE TEMP temp

46.5312 CPU B1 DIODE TEMP temp

After running the Altivec Fractal Carbon Demo for 5 minutes, which uses 100% of all 4 CPU's (ambient temp 21.9 Celcius):

65.8125 CPU A0 DIODE TEMP temp

67.2188 CPU A1 DIODE TEMP temp

68.75 CPU B0 DIODE TEMP temp

75.2188 CPU B1 DIODE TEMP temp

75 C is 167 fahrenheit. I won't need a heater this winter. :O
  • Reply 9 of 12
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

It looks like a truck.

I was thinking the same. I wonder if a 2.2 athlon could run at 2.7 with that thing? I bet it could, I wonder how high a G4 could get on that thing? 2.0? just a massive cooling solution. It had to piss off Jobs that he was going to have to buy a cooling company to give those G5s some progress. No wonder getting out of the PPC fan club.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by yasashiku

Overall it's quiet, except for a dim hum that can be heard in a quiet room. It's a slightly louder system than a Dualcore 2.3, but as anyone who's heard one, it's still whisper-quiet compared to any previous G5 or G4 tower.

Is it pretty quiet at load? How quickly does it "ramp up"? Is the sound pitch high or low?

I have a dual 2.5GHz and was considering just going back to my Xeon workstation because the Macs I've been through (1.25 mini, 1.6 iMac and this one) all have an annoying high pitch whistle at load. The G5 fans go to high with barely any load. It's probably surprising to you, but my Xeon is a quiet, slow rumble, much less irritating than the Macs I've tried, esp. at load.

Still, it's good to hear that the quad is quieter than previous designs. Maybe I'll upgrade to the Dual Core 2.3.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    It ramps up/down gradually, but pretty quick. So, after about 30 seconds of max load, the system will start ramping up.

It's barely noticeable, and is only about a 500 rpm change in the fans. I think the liquid cooling helps a lot, and you can't hear the pumps at all, even though they run at 1250 RPM.

My advice is to go to an Apple store where they have a quad on display. Just reboot it, since everything spins high when it boots.

Sound is really subjective, but this is the second quietest Mac I've heard (the quietest being the dualcore 2.3, which I had to check to make sure it was still on).
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by yasashiku

My advice is to go to an Apple store where they have a quad on display. Just reboot it, since everything spins high when it boots.

I'll try, but the ambient noise at my local Apple store is pretty high. I don't understand why the design of the store didn't use more sound absorbing surfaces.

Quote:

Sound is really subjective, but this is the second quietest Mac I've heard (the quietest being the dualcore 2.3, which I had to check to make sure it was still on).

OK, thanks.