What would be taught in intelligent design?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

[IMG]Fourth - Can evolution explain everything in the recorded history? We don't know. In particular we don't know because, in many cases, we don't know whether our historical evidence is accurate and is taken in proper context. Regardless of the reason, these arguments are so high level that it is silly to touch them unless you're a world's expert on evolution.

The end!

How many debates have taken place if the T-Rex was a predator or scavanger? Look back at bones from 10 million years ago and tell me you are for sure about anything other than they are bones...
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

How many debates have taken place if the T-Rex was a predator or scavanger? Look back at bones from 10 million years ago and tell me you are for sure about anything other than they are bones...

More like 65 MYA, but regardless I think even you are admitting you can tell more than just that they are bones. First, you recognize that they do constitute a specific, extinct animal. Then I'm sure you would recognize that basic physics and comparitive anatomy can make reasonable conclusions about what kind of mass (tissue) the bone supported. Also, you are admitting that you can date them to be milions of years old (not thousands).

Of course, there are many, many more things we can determine reliably. But as for knowing things "for sure," I can't know for sure anything other than that I exist. Nevertheless, I continue to rely on science and rationality to provide reasonable conclusions about how the world works.

ID, on the otherhand, requires us to simply throw our hands up in the air and proclaim that things are just too darn complex to understand, so we should all assume a higher intelligence exists that is forever outside of our ability to test.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    First, a few notes on WHY Intelligent Design is proposed, according the scientists who have adopted it:

There is a fascist body of scientists whose whole lives have been built around Natural Selection (Darwin's theory of evolution). This body is unwilling to consider viewpoints and hypotheses that threaten Natural Selection (such as the inability of NS to create irreducibly complex systems (those which must come into create in working form, not piece by piece, or they will have no reason for NS to preserve them). This body is also extremely materialist in its views, meaning that any hypothesis that even implies something other than brute matter made the universe is heresy.

Bluntly put, I like Intelligent Design because it pisses all the know-it-all's off.

The history of science is rife with know-it-alls whose knowledge proved too little over time. Scientists believed they had all the answers to human breeding in the early 20th century, and were happy to push Eugenics all around the world (especially in California, where thousands were sterilized because they were feeble-minded). The Rockafellers paid for research, so did the Carnegies, whole governments adopted it, promoted it as viable science when it had less real science than mold on bread. The result of the political furor in favor of Eugenics? Nazi death camps, World War II, tens of millions dead for a supposed scientific idea and the fear that it was used to create.

At the beginning of the 20th century, physicists thought they had just about answered all the questions they could answer. Then Einstein's work blossomed and they realized just how ignorant they were. Stephen Hawking is saying these days that science is about to answer the big questions. SOmehow I doubt that he will find much more than MORE questions. The arrogance of scientists who know the motives of their financiers is incredible. These people are merely writing the results their paymasters want, no matter how clean and pure they claim to be. Bias is that powerful.

So, now, imagine you are a 35-year old scientist who has been a material atheist all his life. Imagine the freedom of not having to worry about God's opinion of the advantage you took of others, of the promiscuous sex you had, of the leverage you used to get the job you have, of the lies you told and the cheating you did. You are invested in there being no God to judge you. You cannot possibly remove that bias from your subconscious. You might see it and overcome it, but it will always be there. And that is the fight that is really going on here.

When the ID scientists do debates with atheist scientists they never here attacks on the science, only on the implications of their hypothesis.

As for ID not being Falsifiable, that is BS. Every part of the various proposals that support ID is testable. Back to our irrreducible complexity theory:

Take a bacterial flagellum away from its host bacteria and see if Natural Selection can create one from scratch. Heck, take the many parts of the flagellum and put them inside the bacteria and see if NS can even assemble the pre-made parts. Too complex? Try the same with protein strings on a virus? Can natural selection create a new and unique part from nothing over time? Even mutations, which are almost always early-growth and fatal or late-growth and incidental, cannot do this.

My 2 cents
  • Reply 24 of 43
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Materialist = Eugenics and nazis, check.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Cute, Anders.

SHort answer then:

Materialism: theory that may not include all the realms of existence.

Eugenics: Prime example of how an idea can have NO scientific basis yet be adopted by scientists, government and the population.

Bias: a subconcious understanding of preferred outcome. Ever deal with lab mice? take one genetically identical batch, split the group in two. Sent half of them to a lab with a maze and have the delivery person mention that these mice are kind of stupid. Send the other batch to a different lab and have the delivery person mention that these mice are above-average intelligence. Same mice, same maze, two different findings. The dumb mice will be found to be dumb, and the smart ones found to be smart. Why? Bias. Unless everything is done double-blind and with no knowledge of the source of funding, bias can and will creep in.

Intelligent Design is as subject to bias as the atheistic conclusions held by many Darwinists. Yet we don't question the motives of the Darwinists, do we?
  • Reply 26 of 43
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

More like 65 MYA, but regardless I think even you are admitting you can tell more than just that they are bones. First, you recognize that they do constitute a specific, extinct animal. Then I'm sure you would recognize that basic physics and comparitive anatomy can make reasonable conclusions about what kind of mass (tissue) the bone supported. Also, you are admitting that you can date them to be milions of years old (not thousands).

Of course, there are many, many more things we can determine reliably. But as for knowing things "for sure," I can't know for sure anything other than that I exist. Nevertheless, I continue to rely on science and rationality to provide reasonable conclusions about how the world works.

ID, on the otherhand, requires us to simply throw our hands up in the air and proclaim that things are just too darn complex to understand, so we should all assume a higher intelligence exists that is forever outside of our ability to test.

I didn't mean 10 MYA the TRex was here. My point was, we don't know much about anything about them. Personalities, how they acted, how smart they were, blah, blah. You see what I am saying? You took me a little to serious.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

When the ID scientists do debates with atheist scientists they never here attacks on the science, only on the implications of their hypothesis.

You mean somewhat like your whole spiel about how the 35 year old scientist scientist believes in evolutionary theory only because he wishes to avoid God's judgement? Excuse me, but can you really not see that you did exactly what you accuse atheist scientists of doing?

Also are you implying that any scientist who accepts evololution is necessarilly an atheist. Kenneth Miller, a major participant in such debates, is a devout catholic. He even wrote a book about the compatibility of his faith and the science.

Quote:

As for ID not being Falsifiable, that is BS. Every part of the various proposals that support ID is testable. Back to our irrreducible complexity theory:

Take a bacterial flagellum away from its host bacteria and see if Natural Selection can create one from scratch. Heck, take the many parts of the flagellum and put them inside the bacteria and see if NS can even assemble the pre-made parts. Too complex? Try the same with protein strings on a virus? Can natural selection create a new and unique part from nothing over time? Even mutations, which are almost always early-growth and fatal or late-growth and incidental, cannot do this.

This argument goes way back before ID came along and recast it in molecular biology terms. The old creationist used to say, "Show me a lizard evolving into a bird and I'll believe in evolution." These arguments show either a complete ignorance of evolution, probability, or common sense.

As an analogy, I propose Intelligent Lottery theory. Given the highly unlikely chance of any particular set of lottery numbers comming up it is totally reasonable to conclude that some guiding force must be at work. I'm sure if you asked the majority of lottery winners they would agree that it was more than chance that they won the lottery. God must have meant them to win for some reason. When is the last time you saw a lottery winner who didn't thank God after all. Is this theory falsifiable?

So my IL theory predicts that it is highly unlikely that the same lottery numbers will appear again just by chance. Go ahead, test it. If the same numbers come up again then I'm wrong, so my theory is falsifiable and should therefore be treated as a real scientific theory.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:

Bluntly put, I like Intelligent Design because it pisses all the know-it-all's off.

Do you like to travel on aeroplanes serviced by know-it-alls?

I know I like to have my bicycle serviced by know-it-alls.

However.

I would not tolerate my children being taught by know-it-alls. Which is why I will teach them at home. I will teach them to speak Mandarin Chinese.

I will make it up.

That will piss off the Chinese know-it-alls when my children try to speak to them!

But it'll be worth it just to piss them off.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

However.

I would not tolerate my children being taught by know-it-alls. Which is why I will teach them at home. I will teach them to speak Mandarin Chinese.

I will make it up.

That will piss off the Chinese know-it-alls when my children try to speak to them!

• Reply 31 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

However.

I will make it up.

(note that I am very stingy with the coveted "three laughing smilies" award)
  • Reply 32 of 43
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

So, now, imagine you are a 35-year old scientist who has been a material atheist all his life. Imagine the freedom of not having to worry about God's opinion of the advantage you took of others, of the promiscuous sex you had, of the leverage you used to get the job you have, of the lies you told and the cheating you did.

Wow, great ob bringing stereotypes together.

So 35-year old scientists are atheistic, materialistic and promiscuous. They lie, cheat and behave unfairly. And if they had existed 70 years ago, they would be nazis and engage in killing millions of people.

Get a life.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Materialism: theory that may not include all the realms of existence.

Since when is materialism in any way whatsoever related to science? Materialism is a concept of economy and society, not of science.

Quote:

Eugenics: Prime example of how an idea can have NO scientific basis yet be adopted by scientists, government and the population.

Yes. And? Scientists make mistakes. Churches do, too. Crusades anyone?

Quote:

Intelligent Design is as subject to bias as the atheistic conclusions held by many Darwinists. Yet we don't question the motives of the Darwinists, do we?

Darwinists don't have motives. They have a theory. They don't have any agenda whatsoever to spread it out to the world; if you don't agree with the theory, they will tolerate that.

Intelligent Design advocates have motives. They don't have a theory, they have a set of unfounded claims. They have a strong agenda to spread their ideas to all of the US, which is the only country in the western world stuck in the medieval ages enough to even consider accepting any of this mess.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    jccbin, jc = Jack Chick?? Hmm, he talks the talk...
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:

However.

I will make it up.

• Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:

[B]First, a few notes on WHY Intelligent Design is proposed, according the scientists who have adopted it...

Dear jccbin,

I notice that you're "Apple Certified Technical Coordinator"... and that's a good thing, because as far understanding what evolution is or even what science is, you're not that great! =)

Quote:

At the beginning of the 20th century, physicists thought they had just about answered all the questions they could answer.

I suggest that you review history of physics. In fact in the beginning of 20th century scientists knew that their theory was inaccurate because the equations of electromagnetism formalized by Maxwell as well as The Michelson-Morley Experiment at the end of 19th century, clearly pointed to the inadequacy of Newton's equations.

Quote:

Stephen Hawking is saying these days that science is about to answer the big questions. SOmehow I doubt that he will find much more than MORE questions.

I would not judge the state of science, the world, or anything else based on what Hawking says and said. He used to be a decent physicist once, but that was a long time ago!

And that is what science is - answering questions, creating even more questions and asnwering the new ones...

Quote:

These people are merely writing the results their paymasters want, no matter how clean and pure they claim to be. Bias is that powerful.

I would not talk about things you have no idea about. Clearly you're the one that has a bias.

As Richard Feynman said during Challenger Investigation: "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."

So unless you claim that it is ID people who develop all the modern technology, I would rethink your statement.

Quote:

So, now, imagine you are a 35-year old scientist who has been a material atheist all his life.

What exactly does it mean to be "material atheist"?

Quote:

Heck, take the many parts of the flagellum and put them inside the bacteria and see if NS can even assemble the pre-made parts. Too complex?

Sure it can. It's called self-assembly and it observed with great many things in nature.

Quote:

Try the same with protein strings on a virus?

Yup... one of the biggest areas of biotech right now. Got got a couple of peeps in my lab doing just that.

Quote:

Can natural selection create a new and unique part from nothing over time? Even mutations, which are almost always early-growth and fatal or late-growth and incidental, cannot do this.

Sure it can. You can use directed evolution (gene shuffling, family shuffling), etc... to create, for example, proteins with novel properties.

Again, it maybe worthwhile to actually research the subjects that you write about before actually doing so. Otherwise, what you write may not be worth the 2 cents that you think it does.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    First thing that I would like to hear taught about ID is, if that "thing" is so intelligent that it could design and create everything, then who designed and created it? At least with flying spaghetti monster we know who created it, and creator is willing to confess that his religion is created purely to pursue his personal interests.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

promoted it as viable science when it had less real science than mold on bread.

Careful now, people might think you were comparing eugenics to the discovery of penicillin...
  • Reply 39 of 43
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin, in a long diatribe which never comes close to answering the original question about what there is to teach about ID:

First, a few notes on WHY Intelligent Design is proposed, according the scientists who have adopted it:

There is a fascist body of scientists whose whole lives have been built around Natural Selection (Darwin's theory of evolution).

Not liking a perceived attitude among a group of scientists is a good reason for adopting a different theory?

Perhaps I should come up with my own subatomic particular theory because the current crop of subatomic physicists have absolutely no fashion sense!

Quote:

This body is unwilling to consider viewpoints and hypotheses that threaten Natural Selection...

You say these people are "unwilling to consider" these viewpoints? Tell me, how do you know that scientists haven't considered these ideas, found them very lacking, and rejected them? You can't measure consideration in terms of acceptance -- and I'll bet if you think for a moment and are honest with yourself, you'd realize you'd say these ideas were being considered only if you saw them actually being accepted.

Quote:

This body is also extremely materialist in its views, meaning that any hypothesis that even implies something other than brute matter made the universe is heresy.

Do yourself a favor and look up the difference between methodological materialism and philosophical materialism.

[Skipping over a bunch of stuff that has been well addressed by others, and especially well laughed at by Hassan.]

Quote:

What convenient bubble have you been living inside? Saying that ID isn't good science and has no body of research, no program of research, no predictive value, that ID is nothing but poorly thought-out negative arguments against evolution combined with using a poorly defined "Designer" which has no particular identifiable or testable characteristics to explain whatever one thinks is too amazing to understand... all of that is much, much more than attacking any "implications" of ID.

Quote:

Take a bacterial flagellum away from its host bacteria and see if Natural Selection can create one from scratch.

I have a "theory" that there's an autographed copy of Alice in Wonderland somewhere near the center of the Moon. As all can plainly see, my conjecture is indeed falsifiable. "All" someone has to do is dig up the Moon and sift through all of the debris -- careful not to destroy the fragile evidence of my correctness in the process -- and if no such book is found, I shall be proven wrong.

But until such time as those lazy, smug bastards who oppose my brilliance bother to do the work to disprove me, I can stand proudly by the excellence of my "theory", no?

Good new science is not only falsifiable in a theoretical sense, but, if it hopes to unseat well-established science that already stands behind a solid framework of evidence, the new science assumes the burden of proof, it does not foist impossible and/or million-year long burdens of proof upon others.

Quote:

My 2 cents

That's a bit overrated.

Oh, and by the way, what does all this mean one would TEACH in a classroom about ID?
  • Reply 40 of 43
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Would such a class need to address where this intelligent designer came from?