What music do you like?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Okay, this is my attempt at making this board more colorful... because that's what girls like to do. Though I do thoroughly enjoy reading your scientific and political threads. I think it'll be fun to see the variety.

Here are some of my favorite bands (everyone be on their best behavior):

Nine Inch Nails

Depeche Mode

The Cure

Skinny Puppy

VNV Nation

Franz Ferdinand

Death From Above 1979

Foo Fighters

Tons of 80's synth-pop bands...

Countless industrial and alternative bands...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    avant garde jazz

african music

middle eastern music

electronic music

rock music

music music
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

music music

That's the best kind!
  • Reply 3 of 27
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Whatever is marketed most heavily to my demographic.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Thanks for asking.

Mostly stuff which never makes the commercial radar, and definitely not English stuff. Always mood-dependent.

Scottish (Capercaille, Karen Matheson) is as fine as Irish (Clannad, Maire Brennan). This is as close as demographics allow me. English folk music really irritates.

I grew up with European classical chamber music - Shostakovich and Beethoven's String Quartets and late turn of the century French chamber music. Never dug orchestral stuff, otherwise very orthodox in taste: the Polish modernists and the Russian gems like Gubaidalina and Ustokovolaya also rock. Philip Glass most certainly doesn't.

Turning to contemporary stuff, I have a weakness for Canadian music as well as American avant-garde - mostly in the singer-songwriter tradition. Canada's Veda Hille and Bruce Cockburn; America's fantastic 16 HP, June of 44, Innocence Mission, Helmet and Grant Lee Phillips amongst others.

Heads-tail toss, the American left-of-the-centre music scene is great plundering: it's a shame iTunes seems pretty ignorant of all but the most sterile commercial stuff.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

HAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:

Okay, lover of wit and sarcasm, care to provide a few specifics of your demographic?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Here's a large collection of exactly what I like:

http://www.shetline.org:8100/

And as long as not too many people try to access this site at once, the music might actually be playable. (If you use the "external player" option, you can wait for a full song to buffer and play it smoothly once the whole song is transferred. My home upload rate is only fast enough to support 2-3 live streams at any one time.)
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Wow, shetline, I like your taste. A-ha and Tori Amos...nice. How do you set up a site like that?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_Doll

How do you set up a site like that?

I'm using a nice bit of shareware called AccessTunes. On top of that, I've got the port AccessTunes uses, 8100, forwarded through my router to the one particular computer in my home network which is running AccessTunes (greatly simplified by using fixed IP addresses in my home network), and I've got a DynDNS.org account set up so that the domain shetline.org is mapped to my home system, even when my ISP-provided IP address changes.

You can easily get by without the DynDNS.org thing so long as you know how to find out your home IP address, and if you don't care that that IP address can occasionally change. You don't have to worry about the port forwarding if you've only got one computer at home and it's not hooked up through a router.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    holy crap, shetline, we have a lot of the same music. We must be in the same marketing demographic!
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

holy crap, shetline, we have a lot of the same music. We must be in the same marketing demographic!

Maybe you should set up an accessTunes account so I can find out what you've got that I don't have but that I might turn out to like.

The nice thing about accessTunes is it brings back the good ol' days when iTunes was able to stream over the internet to a wide audience, and not just to five people per day on the same LAN as it's been cut back to these days.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    The last time I exported my library as an html file, it took a couple of hours.... Maybe it's time for a new one.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

The last time I exported my library as an html file, it took a couple of hours.... Maybe it's time for a new one.

You do realize that what accessTunes is doing is not just showing you what music is in an iTunes library, but providing streaming playback of that music, right?
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

You do realize that what accessTunes is doing is not just showing you what music is in an iTunes library, but providing streaming playback of that music, right?

Yeah. I just didn't feel like setting up port forwarding and all that to get it running.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Anything from Fela Kuti, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Adriana Calcanhotto, Les Negresses Vertes, Frank Zappa, and, as hassan said, music music
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

Yeah. I just didn't feel like setting up port forwarding and all that to get it running.

Wimp!
  • Reply 17 of 27
    If he's a wimp, than I'm one too!

I actually piggy-back off of others' network routers. I'm hooked onto some neighbor's Linksys router as I speak. It's bad, I know, but I can't afford an ISP or a wireless service.

I've been curious about starting a Podcast though. I doubt any of you would want to hear it; stuff like Fear Factory, Nine Inch Nails, and Skinny Puppy.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Hurdy gurdy music of the English plague years?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    In the recently played iTunes folder:

Pan American

Ulrich Schnauss

Mew(<- Can´t recommend them enough)

Bonobo

Dubtribe

Arvo Pärt

Swans

Mogwai (quite a lot of them actually)

Chemical brothers