Today I leave behind childish things. I'm 30.

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Well its happened. 30 years on earth. I really didn't expect it to happen so fast, my dad was right as you get older time speeds up. It was funny, I went in to my profile here because I changed my email, my age was 26. has it been that long? anyway Thanks ai and all of you here that help me start my day for the last four years and hope to have many more.

flick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

Well its happened. 30 years on earth. I really didn't expect it to happen so fast, my dad was right as you get older time speeds up. It was funny, I went in to my profile here because I changed my email, my age was 26. has it been that long? anyway Thanks ai and all of you here that help me start my day for the last four years and hope to have many more.

flick.

Well, i'm not sure starting a new thread on an online message board for Apple geeks is the best way to 'leave childish things' behind, but congrats to you anyway!!!

(i turned 25 myself yesterday, yay! for us)
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Perhaps the mac is our fountain of youth?

I'm also Not going to stop playing Battlefield at lunch in my office with the rest of our crew. I still have the Wrinkles Dog I got when i wass about as tall as he is. My blankie is still around here somewhere too. My girlfriend is the adult here and I guess its my job to keep things interesting

flick.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    " I really didn't expect it to happen so fast, my dad was right as you get older time speeds up."

It's interesting: in youth, most of us have a smaller reserve of experiences to tap into, so we process memories going over and over them. They seem to last longer that way.

As we get older, our filters kick in reminding us how we've already got so excited about something before. The duration of new experiences is shorter in comparison to that of recalled experiences. Seems like the perception that 'time speeds up with age' is one reflection of that neuro-shift.

You didn't want to know that really. Happy birthday and best returns!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    "Well, i'm not sure starting a new thread on an online message board for Apple geeks is the best way to 'leave childish things' behind, but congrats to you anyway!!!

(i turned 25 myself yesterday, yay! for us)"

I see you're 5 years behind Flick Justice. Keep with it!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Justin

" I really didn't expect it to happen so fast, my dad was right as you get older time speeds up."

It's interesting: in youth, most of us have a smaller reserve of experiences to tap into, so we process memories going over and over them. They seem to last longer that way.

As we get older, our filters kick in reminding us how we've already got so excited about something before. The duration of new experiences is shorter in comparison to that of recalled experiences. Seems like the perception that 'time speeds up with age' is one reflection of that neuro-shift.

You didn't want to know that really. Happy birthday and best returns!

Dad?

cheers.

flick.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    "Dad?

cheers.

flick."

Mom actually.

Just kidding
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Thirty? Wow, Happy Birthday, dude! Heh... I'll be there in nine years...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Naw my mom would have never made it to turning on the computer..

Mac_Doll:

Welcome to the board.

Ok I give up Ive had to many beers to think of somethin witty.. insert something that would make you laugh here.

if you or any one is in calgary head to the unicorn for 8.

flick.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    On Turning Ten

The whole idea of it makes me feel

like I'm coming down with something,

something worse than any stomach ache

or the headaches I get from reading in bad light--

a kind of measles of the spirit,

a mumps of the psyche,

a disfiguring chicken pox of the soul.

You tell me it is too early to be looking back,

but that is because you have forgotten

the perfect simplicity of being one

and the beautiful complexity introduced by two.

But I can lie on my bed and remember every digit.

At four I was an Arabian wizard.

I could make myself invisible

by drinking a glass of milk a certain way.

At seven I was a soldier, at nine a prince.

But now I am mostly at the window

watching the late afternoon light.

Back then it never fell so solemnly

against the side of my tree house,

and my bicycle never leaned against the garage

as it does today,

all the dark blue speed drained out of it.

This is the beginning of sadness, I say to myself,

as I walk through the universe in my sneakers.

It is time to say good-bye to my imaginary friends,

time to turn the first big number.

It seems only yesterday I used to believe

there was nothing under my skin but light.

If you cut me I could shine.

But now when I fall upon the sidewalks of life,

I skin my knees. I bleed.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Well its happened. 30 years on earth....<snip> hope to have many more.

flick.

*raises birthday glass in mutual celebration*

I know where you're coming from brother.

One more succesful solar orbit!

W00t!

Looking at you in the rear view mirror ... Mine today. Cheers.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Naw my mom would have never made it to turning on the computer..

Mac_Doll:

Welcome to the board.

Ok I give up Ive had to many beers to think of somethin witty.. insert something that would make you laugh here.

if you or any one is in calgary head to the unicorn for 8.

flick.

Aww...thanks, dear! Okaaay.... I'll insert this:

Think of it this way, it's not as if Death is knocking your door.... yet...

I'm terrible. I trust you'll understand my humor.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Disclaimer:

I have at total had 15 pints, 1 shot ect...

Thirty was the best party in the history of me. my friends band www.blooddungeon.com played the evening away. I had several daces ( actualy the last two were more durby style than what you'd call a dance.

I guess to night was the best show of folks I love in one room. its 3:36 Im finising a can of Pil and not sure why I'm online...

what a great night.

flick.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

flick.

hate to burst your bubble but you were 30 last year. you turn 1 after completion of 12 months , soooooo you've been here 31 years. we just celebrate completions of years. but happy birthday, test how you have influenced people in a positive way.

as far as 30, any year can be your best, any can be your worst. as long as your learning, growing, loving, i've made BIG mistakes when i was 36 took me 10 years to correct or minimize, one of my best years was when i was 41 met my present wife, now have two children. you just don't want to make long lasting can't get out poor judgement stupid lingering mistakes. listen to those that unconditionaly love you--family mom and dad, they have years of experience and can see through the forest. we as a society need to repect elders more like the eastern cultures. as youngin' we want everything now, not willing to wait, see the long term benefits and costs. hey do you have a savings plan, reduce your credit card debt, have disability inss, have a retirement strategy--HAVE A SAVINGS PLAN. the most important $$$ you save is the first since it compounds the longest. stay healthy invest in yourself.

take a look at my joys( www.homepage.mac.com/nofeer)---i'm 52 have had macs since day one and hope to build a future for me and my family. i've got good health, a savings plan, disability insurance, try not to buy on impulse, no credit card debt, live within my means and can save a few $$$ every month. i am blessed, i think different, and proud to be a mac religious member and have AI to read and rant on

thanks for your patience
  • Reply 14 of 15
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

hate to burst your bubble but you were 30 last year. you turn 1 after completion of 12 months , soooooo you've been here 31 years. we just celebrate completions of years. but happy birthday, test how you have influenced people in a positive way.

No, it is 30 years; you turn 1, you have completed one year of life, you have lived for one year (after birth). You turn 2, you have completed 2 years of life, you have lived for two years, etc.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

On Turning Ten

Hey, I remember that. Great poem.