First Intel Macs on track for January

Comments

• Reply 401 of 451
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    If you need to run something so CPU intensive that VPC won't do, the cheapest and easiest solution will still be to buy a cheap PC. This is especially true for rendering.
  • Reply 402 of 451
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by strobe

If you need to run something so CPU intensive that VPC won't do, the cheapest and easiest solution will still be to buy a cheap PC. This is especially true for rendering.

That would surely be the best way now.

But with the Mactels', I don't think that it will continue to be true.

If a Mactel is equipped the same as a PC , the power will be the same. Getting a cheap PC will be getting a PC that could be much less powerful them the Mac you have.

It would be good only if you needed to do to intensive tasks at once, or if the PC task didn't require the same power as your Mac task.

An interesting article by Rob Enderle, the guy we love to hate, has been coming around to the view that Apple will really have something with the new machines which he calls "Aptels"

He seems to think that the OS will perform much better on x86 than it has been on PPC, because of the x86 roots of FreeBSD. He could be right. Reports I 've been getting from friends involved say that speedups are significant.

Read his article;

http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/nr...Tel-Line.xhtml
  • Reply 403 of 451
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

He seems to think that the OS will perform much better on x86 than it has been on PPC, because of the x86 roots of FreeBSD. He could be right. Reports I 've been getting from friends involved say that speedups are significant.

What component of OS X that GUI applications rely on has anything to do with FreeBSD?
  • Reply 404 of 451
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

What component of OS X that GUI applications rely on has anything to do with FreeBSD?

Multi-processor support, most likely. Although FreeBSD has been slower than other OSs in terms of that. With 6.x, things do seem better however. Not that it has any impact on where Apple is now going. I just hope Finder itself is faster. It has been a dog throughout OS X's lifetime.
  • Reply 405 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Multi-processor support, most likely. Although FreeBSD has been slower than other OSs in terms of that. With 6.x, things do seem better however. Not that it has any impact on where Apple is now going. I just hope Finder itself is faster. It has been a dog throughout OS X's lifetime.

I really don't see the Finder being impacted much at all by the processor architecture.

Yes, things like multi-processor support are ported from FreeBSD to the XNU kernel; most of OS X's high-level stuff has little to do with FreeBSD at all, however.

The idea seems far-fetched to me.
  • Reply 406 of 451
    Quote:

The GUI is only part of the app remember?

Besides, any GUI works through the underlying OS, which is Darwin, which is Apple's version of FreeBSD.
  • Reply 407 of 451
    Quote:

I really don't see the Finder being impacted much at all by the processor architecture.

Yes, things like multi-processor support are ported from FreeBSD to the XNU kernel; most of OS X's high-level stuff has little to do with FreeBSD at all, however.

The idea seems far-fetched to me.

You are wrong. the reports from the developers are that the finder is much faster running under a 3.6GHz Pentium 4 than on any PPC Mac.
  • Reply 408 of 451
    Quote:

Besides, any GUI works through the underlying OS, which is Darwin, which is Apple's version of FreeBSD.

Darwin is much more than "a version of FreeBSD". Most notably, the kernel is not a BSD kernel.
  • Reply 409 of 451
    Quote:

Darwin is much more than "a version of FreeBSD". Most notably, the kernel is not a BSD kernel.

I know it's much more, that's why it's Apple's version. They changed, and added to it.

We all know that the lernel is MACH.
  • Reply 410 of 451
    Quote:

I know it's much more, that's why it's Apple's version. They changed, and added to it.

We all know that the lernel is MACH.

The kernel is no pure Mach either, nor is it (like Mach would be) a microkernel.

Saying Darwin is Apple's version of FreeBSD is like saying Windows NT is Microsoft's version of VMS.
  • Reply 411 of 451
    Quote:

The kernel is no pure Mach either, nor is it (like Mach would be) a microkernel.

Saying Darwin is Apple's version of FreeBSD is like saying Windows NT is Microsoft's version of VMS.

Microkernels are out. Have been for years.

Darwin is more like XP is to NT.
  • Reply 412 of 451
    Quote:

Microkernels are out. Have been for years.

That's besides the point.

Quote:

Darwin is more like XP is to NT.

Er. I think I give up.
  • Reply 413 of 451
    Please forgive my rudeness for just jumping in here!

I'm really excited about the new intel microprocessors. However, some people I've talked to are worried about whether they will eventually turn into the average, pay-for-what-you-get type of non-elegant pc. What say you?
  • Reply 414 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Multi-processor support, most likely. Although FreeBSD has been slower than other OSs in terms of that. With 6.x, things do seem better however. Not that it has any impact on where Apple is now going.

AFAIK, Darwin's MP support comes from Mach, not FreeBSD.
  • Reply 415 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by RazzFazz

AFAIK, Darwin's MP support comes from Mach, not FreeBSD.

Actually, I recall comments at WWDC that the newer FreeBSD base helped improve multiprocessing. I could be wrong.
  • Reply 416 of 451
    Quote:

Actually, I recall comments at WWDC that the newer FreeBSD base helped improve multiprocessing. I could be wrong.

I think this probably was something along the lines of "helped improve performance on MP systems", e.g. through finer-grained locking in the VFS stack etc. This is, however, not something that's architecture dependent, so it won't be inherently faster on x86.
  • Reply 417 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by superhall

Please forgive my rudeness for just jumping in here!

I'm really excited about the new intel microprocessors. However, some people I've talked to are worried about whether they will eventually turn into the average, pay-for-what-you-get type of non-elegant pc. What say you?

Welcome, superhall, and jump right in!

No need to worry about them producing non-elegant machines. Apple can't compete with Dell on price, so there's no way Apple will create cheapie machines. It's not in their blood, anyway.

iPods weren't the cheapest MP3 players when they first came out. The Mac mini is relatively inexpensive, but not as cheap (in all senses of the word ) as a Dell.

No, don't worry my child. Apple will produce nice machines . . . and you'll pay for it.
  • Reply 418 of 451
    BSD includes file system, communications, and memory management support. If these perform better on x86 hardware you would see a small across-the-board improvement. I think a bigger factor is that GCC has an x86 heritage as well, and has always produced better x86 code than PPC code (plus Apple may provide Intel's compiler, which is quite good). This will affect everything compiled for the x86.
  • Reply 419 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

BSD includes file system, communications, and memory management support. If these perform better on x86 hardware you would see a small across-the-board improvement.

I still doubt that much of this is really somehow "optimized for x86". AFAIK, only a small part of the FreeBSD kernel is architecture-dependent.

Quote:

I think a bigger factor is that GCC has an x86 heritage as well, and has always produced better x86 code than PPC code (plus Apple may provide Intel's compiler, which is quite good). This will affect everything compiled for the x86.

Yes, I think this is going to be a much more important factor (although I kinda doubt they'll provide icc with OS X).

It's also a pity, really -- generating good PPC code should actually be easier (more registers, more orthogonal instruction set, whatnot), but I guess it's tough to beat the sheer amount of optimization that went (and still goes) into gcc's x86 backend...
  • Reply 420 of 451
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RazzFazz

I guess it's tough to beat the sheer amount of optimization that went (and still goes) into gcc's x86 backend...

Beats the rear-ending Apple has gotten from Motorola/IBM.