Analyst sees Intel PowerBook in January

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer could introduce its first laptop computers based on Intel chips as early as January, which, together with robust sales of video iPods, should drive earnings higher, Citigroup said on Wednesday.

"We are becoming more convinced that Apple will introduce its first Intel-based PowerBook at Macworld San Francisco," analyst Richard Gardner said in a research note sent to clients.

The analyst believes Apple plans to introduce the professional laptops sooner than expected in order to help minimize the risk that it would end up with an inventory buildup of its current non-Intel laptops as customers anticipate the new models.

Earlier this month, reliable sources also pinned the PowerBook for a January introduction, saying that Apple is working feverishly to complete a noticeably slimmer 15-inch model for a possible Macworld introduction alongside an Intel-based iMac.

Along with his product predictions, Gardner raised his target price on Apple stock to $71 from $51 and boosted his earnings forecasts for the next two years.

For the current quarter, Gardner raised his revenue estimate to $5.5B and earnings-per share estimates to 60 cents, up from $4.8B and 47 cents.

He also raised his 2006 revenue forecast to $20.4B and $2.16, up from from $17.6B and $1.72.

In 2007, Gardner expects Apple to generate revenues of $24.3B and earn a profit of $2.61 per-share.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    I get this strange sense that the same news is traveling in circles. Next Piper Jaffray will raise expectations because AppleInsider reported that Citigroup reported that rumor sites reported that someone heard from some "reliable" source that something may or may not happen.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    As in the comments made to the previous article about Rosetta, etc. this could be partly due to the new G4 ant Altivec emulation.

If true.

It would make sense if the iBook comes out at the same time.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

I get this strange sense that the same news is traveling in circles. Next Piper Jaffray will raise expectations because AppleInsider reported that Citigroup reported that rumor sites reported that someone heard from some "reliable" source that something may or may not happen.

Yeah, where do these 'analysts' get their information? Are they doing primary research (getting leaks from overseas manufacturers) or just relying on rumor sites?

I'd like a job like that.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Yeah, where do these 'analysts' get their information? Are they doing primary research (getting leaks from overseas manufacturers) or just relying on rumor sites?

I'd like a job like that.

Some of these guys say that they visit the factories overseas.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    ...... Gardner raised his target price on Apple stock to $71 from $51 ....

What's that a ... stumbles to get calculator.... 40% increase ----

Oh great googly moogly, and I sold my Apple stock on the announcement of the change to Intel chips. Time to get back in the game, I guess.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

Oh great googly moogly, and I sold my Apple stock on the announcement of the change to Intel chips. Time to get back in the game, I guess.

You don't have Apple stock, what are you thinking?
  • Reply 7 of 34
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I agree, this is probably circular speculation and not any kind of new evidence of Intel Macs announced in January.

I still choose to believe it will happen And that they'll ship not long after, maybe Feb.

I also think the PowerBook will be among the first. And I want one!
  • Reply 8 of 34
    20 billion for next year is too much.....i don't think apple can go past 18. so far, in he last three year the increment has been quite impresive on a year to year basis....but 20 is pushing it....

this gargner guys are just oding what everybody has done...raise their price target...they are behind....most anlyst did that, the week before thankgiving....

71...that is just taking this weeks high and saying that is what he thinks...

when you set a pice target, is because you have reviewd the statements and futer eanings estimate and compare to current value of the stock and decide for yourself what the price should be. he just took the current price and set it.

i trust piper jaffray and ubs better
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by hkbaq

20 billion for next year is too much.....i don't think apple can go past 18. so far, in he last three year the increment has been quite impresive on a year to year basis....but 20 is pushing it....

this gargner guys are just oding what everybody has done...raise their price target...they are behind....most anlyst did that, the week before thankgiving....

71...that is just taking this weeks high and saying that is what he thinks...

when you set a pice target, is because you have reviewd the statements and futer eanings estimate and compare to current value of the stock and decide for yourself what the price should be. he just took the current price and set it.

i trust piper jaffray and ubs better

I don't think it's far fetched. Jaffray says about the same thing.

If Apple can double the sales of the iPod this year, increase the sales from iTunes (though its been slowing down), sell some video, software, and increase computer sales by 35% - less than last years 48% jump, they can do it without too much of a problem.

Assuming there are more products, such as a phone or their own cell network, in the line-up next year, they could go past that.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Here's an early review of a 2GHz dual core Yonah, not the fastest one that will be delivered, compared to an Athlon 64 X2 3800+.

This should increase interest in these chips.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sho...px?i=2627&p=10

EDIT: Sorry, that was the last page. Here is the first.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sho...spx?i=2627&p=1

By the way, the Athlon is not a laptop chip. Remember that when you look at the tests!
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Well did apple not promise us Dual 3GHz power mac about some time agao and said they would have them in a year. but they DONT have them Do you really think that they really could come out when they just realessed high resolution. I DO hope that they will come with the intel PB in January cuz my parents said they could get me a 15" PB for my B-DAY. And i am looking Forwaed to seeing the new 15" they say that there will be isight ( but i doubt it how ould they fit onein) and i would like it to be as thin as a 17" PB or more hopefully..HHHHEY Can anyone ansewer this Question. What is the next OS X CALLED and when will it be realised.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danired18

Well did apple not promise us Dual 3GHz power mac about some time agao and said they would have them in a year. but they DONT have them Do you really think that they really could come out when they just realessed high resolution. I DO hope that they will come with the intel PB in January cuz my parents said they could get me a 15" PB for my B-DAY. And i am looking Forwaed to seeing the new 15" they say that there will be isight ( but i doubt it how ould they fit onein) and i would like it to be as thin as a 17" PB or more hopefully..HHHHEY Can anyone ansewer this Question. What is the next OS X CALLED and when will it be realised.

Interesting post. Please try to check your spelling. It would make it easier to read.

Apple did promise 3GHz. But then, IBM, no doubt, promised it to Apple.

It's called Leopard, 10.5, and should be out around the end of next year.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

Considering that AAPL closed at nearly $68 today, I'd say his "target price" of $51 was a wee bit out of date, and $71 isn't that outrageuous (they hit $70 on Monday I think).
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Something has to give. We're now at ten months since the 12 inch Powerbook was updated, and it still has a graphics chip that may as well not be Core Image compliant and indeed neither supports Aperture nor properly accelerates the third-party Imaginator. The situation on the Mac Mini is if anything even more flagrant, despite Apple's secret update.

I would think these would be prime candidates for Intel-isation.

Besides, given the way Steve Jobs reacted a few years back to ATI's infractions, he's no doubt looking to exact similar revenge on Freescale over their failure to deliver a working 7448 processor. And Intel's unexpected haste with Yonah gives him a great opportunity to do that.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Apple is working feverishly to complete a noticeably slimmer 15-inch model

That is the part that amazes me. I have heard as much as 25% slimmer. Wow!
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

You'll be able to roll it up and stuff it in your back pocket.

But then someone will scratch the screen and sue Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    Oooooooh I'm so glad that I bought a shload of Apple stock back in the early spring, and I'm still holding it all...weeeeeee...
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

Considering that AAPL closed at nearly $68 today, I'd say his "target price" of $51 was a wee bit out of date, and $71 isn't that outrageuous (they hit $70 on Monday I think).

$71
  • Reply 19 of 34
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

No, thanks. I'll hold out for the 30" Powerbook Aluminum. It'll be built into a Zero Halliburton 29" Zeroller case loaded with a ton of batteries. Good thing, because that 30" LCD will suck battery power faster than Whitney Houston inhales cocaine. Don't expect to be able to use it on an airline tray, though, even if the seat ahead of you is in the full upright position. Oh, just one more thing: it'll have fold-out legs so you don't need a table to put it on.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    heh. at this rate apple is announcing ALL of their Mac line will be macintels ALL in january 2006 WTF?