Sunflow iMac to make a return?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The form-factor of the current iMac is OK and different, but it just isn't as good as the old iMac. The old iMac had a wonderful screen that could be adjusted into any position, swung around to show a college etc. etc. I am sure it was dispensed with because there was no way to accommodate the G5 processor and all the cooling.

Next year we move to Intel and with it cooler processors that would open the possibility of a re-design. The way I see it Apple could go two ways, it could make a light version of the current form factor and being lighter it might actually work with vesa mounts OR it could go back to basics and do a variation on a theme of the Sunflower iMac.

To me the Sunflower iMac is more versatile, I like having USB cables in the base and disappearing discreetly over the back of my desk, it is much better than having them dangling down (Very unpleasant and un-Mac like). If the plan is to make the iMac a media hybrid centre then having a base give a really good opportunity to add an integral iPod/remote dock.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    No I don't think you'll find that cooling was the issue. The arm itself was expensive. Increase the size of the monitor and you increase the weight of the monitor which requires a stronger arm which equals even more money.

I don't expect the iLamp to return. It was nice while it was here but I see the current iMac G5 shape as being the most plausible shape for today. As it gets slimmer there may be arm options you can take advantage of for the height and swivel capabilities.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I don't expect the iLamp to return. It was nice while it was here but I see the current iMac G5 shape as being the most plausible shape for today. As it gets slimmer there may be arm options you can take advantage of for the height and swivel capabilities.

You can always mount an iMac G5 using a VESA arm to your desk or the wall for the same effect with even less desk space taken up. Just look for a "good" looking one, though I think that one that looked as good as the one on the iLamps would be quite expensive.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

You can always mount an iMac G5 using a VESA arm to your desk or the wall for the same effect with even less desk space taken up. Just look for a "good" looking one, though I think that one that looked as good as the one on the iLamps would be quite expensive.

Yes that's true. I'm a bit miffed that the new iMac g5's aren't compatible with VESA right out of the box. A 3rd party will likely fix this. I guess I shouldn't worry that much I've never seen an iMac VESA mounted yet.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Those G4 iMacs were super sexy.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

This is actually my favorite design, but as hmurchison pointed out previously, it was expensive and I will add that maintenance and repairs were a nightmare.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

they were in januari 2002, now they are old and worn out.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    The Vesa mount solution was a red hearing as mounts capable of supporting the weight were impossible to find. In any event not everyone has a suitable place to clamp the arm to.

The G4 iMac was quite simply a better design, much more Mac like in my opinion. And i don't mind the extra cost for good design. But I do object to paying for a premium price just for a badge!
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

The G4 iMac was quite simply a better design

Not if it was too expensive to build and/or repair. I agree with hmurchison that the current design is likely to stay for a while...with Apple continuing to make it slimmer, perhaps working to reduce the bezel over time, while still beefing up the specs.

Apple is making the computer disappear (Mac mini is more evidence of this trend). This was evident in the sunflower design and, perhaps, even moreso in the current design. Steve's own recent comments about this being the desktop "architecture" of choice confirms this.

Not sure where else they can go without starting to get weird. They are trying to get rid of anything you don't need to actually interact with (mouse, keyboard, display). The "computer" some big box that sits on your desk...cables...a huge bulky monitor. These things are slimming down and "going away" until all that is left is what you type/point with and what you look at.

This will actually be an interesting situation for a company that has been largely known for the unique look of its computers.

Quote:

much more Mac like in my opinion.

Not so sure about that.

I was actually struck by how the design of this latest Mac bore a (vastly updated) resemblence to the original.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

Oh, I don't think so. It's so incredibly organic, creative, and functional that I don't see how it could ever be "worn out."

Then there's the iMac G5. It's a white, rectangular box with a pedestal. How...dull.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    I still have a G4 iMac, the very last 20" revision. And for a $2000+ computer, I still think it does the job rather nicely. the arm is pretty cool, but yeah, it does add to the cost. Those brand new iMacs are tempting, but I'd rather get a new iBook.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    I rather like the iMac G5's design. It's not the most original in terms of shape, but at least with the latest revision it's a perfect example of how to minimize the use of space without sabotaging looks.

Think about it: the computer itself is supported by the stand, not something directly underneath (as is often the case in all-in-ones). The stand itself is just a simple curve of aluminum, not a chunky block. It really does look like just a display with a chin on it. That makes it appealing because it appears to defy logic, at least for those who aren't born engineers.

Also, the glossy white gives it an aura of worth that the iMac G4's matte white base didn't have (though the arm made up for it somewhat).
  • Reply 12 of 26
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

The Vesa mount solution was a red hearing as mounts capable of supporting the weight were impossible to find.

Are you referring to VESA arms? The 20" iMac G5 only weighs 22 pounds and the 17" is 15 pounds. Most VESA arms are rated to 20 pounds, but I think that's conservative. My chunky, old Dell 2000fp was 25 before removing the weighted base and my VESA arm's pneumatic cylinder wasn't stressed by the weight. Knocking a pound or two off the iMac by removing the base should put the 20" near the weight limit.

I still drool every time I pass the 30" Cinema Display set up at the local CompUSA. (Inexplicably, the Apple Store in the same mall doesn't have one on display.) That's 27 pounds and still has the VESA mount accessory option. Hmm. Only 27 pounds. I wonder if I can sprint out the door with it under my arm before they can catch me.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Not if it was too expensive to build and/or repair.

While the iMac G4 was a royal pain to get inside, the new iMac doesn't seem to be much better. Yes, the iMac G5 was really user-serviceable when it came out, but that was Rev. A and Rev. B. The Rev. C models with the iSight camera are a completely different story - they sacrificed that ease of maintenance to make it slightly thinner, 'cause ya know, thinness is so important in a desktop machine.

Here's what AppleInsider's front page had to say about it a little while ago:

Quote:

Apple service providers who specialize in selling and servicing Macs have told AppleInsider that the media center iMac enclosure and internals are far less elegant than the model it replaces, requiring that technicians gain entry to the machine by removing the face of the computer (rather than the rear). Additionally, the only system component in the computer to remain user-servicable is memory. However, the new design is slightly thinner than its predecessor and appears to run quieter and cooler, they say, making it an ideal fit for use in further revisions.

Check out what you have to do just to replace a frigging dead hard drive on these new iMacs. I was jealous of these when they came out, but after seeing this, I'm glad I have a Rev. B.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    I expect the iMac to get even thinner as time goes by and for the chin to dissappear alltogether.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

While the iMac G4 was a royal pain to get inside, the new iMac doesn't seem to be much better. Yes, the iMac G5 was really user-serviceable when it came out, but that was Rev. A and Rev. B. The Rev. C models with the iSight camera are a completely different story - they sacrificed that ease of maintenance to make it slightly thinner, 'cause ya know, thinness is so important in a desktop machine.

Here's what AppleInsider's front page had to say about it a little while ago:

Check out what you have to do just to replace a frigging dead hard drive on these new iMacs. I was jealous of these when they came out, but after seeing this, I'm glad I have a Rev. B.

Oh dang, that must suck!

Well, I guess you trade ease of expandability for heat dissipation and looks?

Doesn't seem like too much of a trade, save the capacitor problem.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

Nonsense! Still the best looking computer, ever! 8)

*hugs his iMac G4*

Anyone who comes over and sees it has to play with it, and think it's brand new!
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

Check out what you have to do[/url] just to replace a frigging dead hard drive on these new iMacs. I was jealous of these when they came out, but after seeing this, I'm glad I have a Rev. B.

For most people this is a non-issue since the task of replacing internal components fall upon Apple or a certified third-party vendor.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

Nonsense! Still the best looking computer, ever! 8)

*hugs his iMac G4*

Anyone who comes over and sees it has to play with it, and think it's brand new!

not the best iMac.

i have to agree, i thought it was the greatest thing ever, when it was introduced in 2002 (wtf no G5 at mwsf2002?), i really loved its design, but never wished to buy one. especially with the huge stickerprice and stagnant 1.25Ghz engine of the 20"...

beautifull enginered solutions doesn't make a product good.

if you're facing poor performing processors and other hardware limitations, you have to get consumers with something else: überdesign.

the adjustable arm is a beautifull feature.

it's also a nice and expensive gimmick with a serious limiting effect on the design options.

the small footprint and the minimalistic formfactor, makes imo the iMacG5 the better computer.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

I expect the iMac to get even thinner as time goes by and for the chin to dissappear alltogether.

For the chin to go the power supply will have to be external - that's my best guess. If that happened then the iMacs could basically be the same as the displays - just a little thicker. If that happened would it be available in a 30" version . . .
  • Reply 20 of 26
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    as a designer, i have to say that the current imac is the "most perfect" yet. It is more true to the concept of the first imac. The sunflower is very nice, but seems more of a "designers show-off" than a form-follows-function design.

since you can turn the whole machine to the side easiliy with one hand, the whole arm is really not needed.