Steve Jobs to keynote Macworld San Francisco

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
IDG World Expo announced today that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs will deliver the opening keynote address for Macworld Conference & Expo in San Francisco this January.

Jobs' keynote is scheduled for Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at 9:00 a.m. Macworld will take place at San Francisco's Moscone Convention Center, running January 9-13, 2006.

"Steve's keynote is always a great way to kick off the biggest Mac event of the year," said David Korse, CEO of IDG World Expo. "We've added several new features to this year's event, and we're working hard to make this the most entertaining and informative Macworld ever."

At last year's expo, Jobs introduced the iPod shuffle and Mac mini to much fanfare. He also rolled-out a major update to Apple's iLife digital lifestyle software suite (iLife '05) and introduced the company's iWork productivity suite.

The 2005 expo also showed sizable growth from the previous year, with an 11-percent overall attendance increase, IDG said.

There was also a 13-percent increase in the number of paid conference delegates; a 10% increase in the number of exhibitors; and a 31-percent increase in the average number of hours spent on the exhibit hall floor by attendees.

Both analysts and insiders are expecting Jobs to use the 2006 expo to introduce the first Macintosh systems that will be based on processors from Intel Corp.

Additional Macworld 2006 event highlights and registration information are available on the Macworld Conference & Expo Web site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Steve Jobs + Macworld Keynote = Big announcement

Cmmmmmon MacMini DVR! With Displays....
  • Reply 2 of 44
    I want Pages 2 and Cells (or whatever the spreadsheet app will be called).

Oh, and a new iBook would be nice.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    It's all good.

If this will be the first showing of Intel Macs it will have to be huger than huge, splashier than splashy.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I predict:

OS X Leopard preview

Mactel iBooks w/ built-in iSight

Mactel iMedia computer

iLife '06 with Front Row

iWork '06 with Keynote 3 and Pages 2

One more thing...

New, *smaller* iPod shuffles
  • Reply 5 of 44
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

One more thing...

Nah, same size iPod Shuffles, but with a two line display.

Bu then it can't be called a shuffle anymore.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Quote:

I predict:

OS X Leopard preview

I don't think so.

Leopard has to be previewed at the WWDC first, so developpers can start buidling their apps taking adavantage of the new technologies.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    I can't wait. Go Apple!
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:

I predict:

OS X Leopard preview

Mactel iMedia computer

iLife '06 with Front Row

One more thing...

--Macintel iBooks (99% probability)

--Macintel PowerBooks (announcement, if not shipping) (70%)

--Macintel Mac mini with movie downloads--DVR doesn't fit into Apple's model (80%)

--No Macintel iMac or Macintel Power Mac (99%)

--iWork 06 with Spreadsheet and very simple database (maybe requires Tiger) (99%)

--iLife 06 with iPhoto grabbing some light features from Aperture, maybe requiring Tiger for some features (99%)

--One more thing: Super thin/light/small super-iPod/PDA combo with no keyboard, no optical drive (maybe flash RAM instead of hard disk??), a small but widescreen and high resolution screen, handwriting recognition, syncs with Mac mini for music & movie downloads, WIFI (0% probability! OK, it's just a fantasy, and probably isn't possible 'til MacWorld '07, but it's what I want)

[Edit]

The more-likely "one more thing" would be the Macintel Mac mini

[/Edit]
  • Reply 9 of 44
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by bikertwin

[B]--Macintel iBooks (99% probability)

--Macintel Mac mini with movie downloads--DVR doesn't fit into Apple's model (80%)

--iWork 06 with Spreadsheet and very simple database (maybe requires Tiger) (99%)

--iLife 06 with iPhoto grabbing some light features from Aperture, maybe requiring Tiger for some features (99%)

Wow, Good job! I like this list.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by poeta71

Wow, Good job! I like this list.

Oh, and the (non-)announcement that AppleWorks is officially dead. iWork will ship on all new consumer Macs.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    This what Im hoping we will hear,

Steve Jobs: holds aloft in his hands and ultra slim powerbook he holds it up where everyone in the audience can see...its bright crisp screen.

Steve, Speaking with awe and reverence with a soft tone: "The new G5 powerbook,with Intel processors.......

The stunned Audience slowly begins to clap and cheer!!!!!

OK I just officially Geeked out,right here in front of everybody

p.s. does anybody here think that with the succsess of the black ipods seeing as how now everyone is copying apple,with their silverish clunkerbooks and white clunkbooks that apple might drop a slick black Intel Ibook?????
  • Reply 12 of 44
    So Christmas is officially rescheduled for January 10, 2006.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    come on powerbook!
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

--Macintel iBooks (99% probability)

--One more thing: Super thin/light/small super-iPod/PDA combo with no keyboard, no optical drive (maybe flash RAM instead of hard disk??), a small but widescreen and high resolution screen, handwriting recognition, syncs with Mac mini for music & movie downloads, WIFI (0% probability! OK, it's just a fantasy, and probably isn't possible 'til MacWorld '07, but it's what I want)

[Edit]

[/Edit]

There's no maybe about it. Tiger will be required for ALL ANOUNCEMENTS.

Core Data will be part of iWorks, Core Image will be part of the next iLife.

Baseline upgrades will be Tiger for these updates.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

I want Pages 2 and Cells (or whatever the spreadsheet app will be called).

I actually recently read a rumor that iWork may indeed be updated, and include a spreadsheet. That will be pretty much the end of AppleWorks.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

[Edit]

[/Edit]

A macintel mac mini would be a very disappointing "one more thing" after the other stuff you listed. Now if he announces the software updates, goes on about ipods, talks about Leopard, discusses the intel conversion, then goes "oh, and one more thing, the new mini, underpowered like you've never seen it underpowered before!", then, yeah, that's a "one more thing". But "one more thing"ing the mac mini after announcing two other intel products is actually kind of boring.

Now, following all that, announcing the mini and the iBook, then wowing the crowd with a kick-ass intel powerbook that makes the iBook look like a Celeron in comparison, now that would be a worthy "one more thing" while releasing three intel products.

Of course, I don't see any of that happening.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:

I predict:

OS X Leopard preview

Mactel iMedia computer

iLife '06 with Front Row

One more thing...

I think you have it about right. iWork may include a spreadsheet and other updates to iLife applications too. But I think this is basically it.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

A macintel mac mini would be a very disappointing "one more thing" after the other stuff you listed. Now if he announces the software updates, goes on about ipods, talks about Leopard, discusses the intel conversion, then goes "oh, and one more thing, the new mini, underpowered like you've never seen it underpowered before!", then, yeah, that's a "one more thing". But "one more thing"ing the mac mini after announcing two other intel products is actually kind of boring.

Now, following all that, announcing the mini and the iBook, then wowing the crowd with a kick-ass intel powerbook that makes the iBook look like a Celeron in comparison, now that would be a worthy "one more thing" while releasing three intel products.

Of course, I don't see any of that happening.

Oh, I was just referring to the MacIntel Mac mini as CosmoNut put it: "iMedia" with TV and/or movie downloads from iTMS. Major functionality update, not just switching out a G4 for an Intel chip. Hook it up to your widescreen TV rather than a computer monitor. Maybe Apple will announce a TV monitor along with it. That would be a big deal, no? Apple going head-long into consumer electronics, beyond just the iPod. Although as you say, PowerBooks would be sweet, too.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like this autumn's iTunes/iPod video and Front Row announcements were just to get feedback for the big iMedia (MacIntel Mac mini) announcement at MWSF '06.

What do you think of the whole DVR thing? It doesn't seem to fit Apple's business model, if they're trying to sell TV shows on iTunes. That makes me think the DVR is a red herring.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by french macuser

I don't think so.

Leopard has to be previewed at the WWDC first, so developpers can start buidling their apps taking adavantage of the new technologies.

Good point, but why not give developers a head start while showing off the goods to consumers?
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

p.s. does anybody here think that with the succsess of the black ipods seeing as how now everyone is copying apple,with their silverish clunkerbooks and white clunkbooks that apple might drop a slick black Intel Ibook?????

Black is the new black. Ah, the irony...

...or beige, maybe?