G5 strat up problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
every time i start my computer i see a flashing icon of the earth followed by an icon of the finder logo and a question mark everything im on my computer , but it seems to be fine otherwise. i know this shouldnt happen every time i start it up...

* i know..... i spelt 'start' wrong

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    never heard of the earth thing. but usually when that happens it's best to go into your system preferences and make sure you have the system folder for your boot drive selected under "startup disk". it sounds like it's trying to find the system.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by offthewallbmx

every time i start my computer i see a flashing icon of the earth followed by an icon of the finder logo and a question mark everything im on my computer , but it seems to be fine otherwise. i know this shouldnt happen every time i start it up...

* i know..... i spelt 'start' wrong

This behavior means that there is no startup disk set, or Startup Disk is set to Network (NetBoot), so the Mac is first looking for the NetBoot server (Globe icon), then when that isn't found it looks for a local volume with a system on it. While it is looking it puts up the question mark.

Odds are that your Startup Disk is set to Network.