Why is OSX so slow at web browsing?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
doesnt seem to matter what browser i use: safari, IE, firefox, it seems to take forever to load a new page. eg: it took 35 seconds to load the appleinsider.com page. I have a 1043 kbps donwload speed (dsl) on a iMac G5 2.1 with 2gb memory. It seems when i use a windoz machine, it's really fast. wuz up

Am i doing something wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Go to the activity monitor (under applications in the utilities folder, I think) and give us a screen shot, preferably when you're running normal apps including a web browser. Also, is this happening with all web sites you visit?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Yeah, something's fishy there. I have a 1.25 Ghz G4 Powerbook with 1GB RAM and it doesn't take nearly that long.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibuzz

doesnt seem to matter what browser i use: safari, IE, firefox, it seems to take forever to load a new page. eg: it took 35 seconds to load the appleinsider.com page. I have a 1043 kbps donwload speed (dsl) on a iMac G5 2.1 with 2gb memory. It seems when i use a windoz machine, it's really fast. wuz up

Am i doing something wrong?

Be sure to have your router pass the IP-adresses for DNS and not (!) to use DNS-proxy on the router. This causes delays for my Inet connection. As soon as my "Apples" get the the real DNS servers everything is fine!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    i managed to get a acreen shot of the activity moniter. i wasn't actively browsing though i had safari and firefox open and on web pages. how do i get it into a reply?

edit: it happens with most web sites. sometimes it's slow and then other times it's slower.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Be sure to have your router pass the IP-adresses for DNS and not (!) to use DNS-proxy on the router. This causes delays for my Inet connection. As soon as my "Apples" get the the real DNS servers everything is fine!

This is pretty much greek. how do i do this?

thanks
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibuzz

This is pretty much greek. how do i do this?

thanks

If you open up Terminal and type

cat /etc/resolv.conf

What do your see as nameserver 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 or what else?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Alwin-Wenzels-Computer-2:~ Buzz$ cat/etc/resolv.conf

-bash: cat/etc/resolv.conf: No such file or directory

Alwin-Wenzels-Computer-2:~ Buzz$
  • Reply 8 of 11
    you typed it wrong, there is space between cat and /
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Alwin-Wenzels-Computer-2:~ Buzz$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

domain domain.actdsltmp

nameserver 192.168.0.1

nameserver 205.171.3.65

Alwin-Wenzels-Computer-2:~ Buzz$
  • Reply 10 of 11
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    yes I found I had to hand type the qwest dns addresses into the internet control panel since there is a wireless router between the dsl router etc blah blah - works much faster now.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Yeah usually when your broadband connection is slow the

#1 issue is the DNS servers you use. Often times the broadband providers DNS servers suck and you end up finding other ones that are much faster ;-)