Can the 9600 from a G5 be put in to a G4 and work?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a G5 2.0 Ghz(one of the earlier ones, with the 8GB RAM possibility) that came with a 9600 Radeon. And, I have a dual 800 G4.

The x800 ATI card sounds quite inviting for the G5, I thought I would buy it from OtherWorld Computing, although I have read that Buy.com may have it for 20$ less.

What I am wondering is if I can take the 9600 from the G5, with 8x AGP, and put it in to the G4, with its slower graphics, and have it work fine.

Since I would like to upgrade the G4 a bit, this would get two birds with one stone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Tape pins 3 and 11 on back of card.

<back of card>

3 TAPE ME

11 TAPE ME

<front of card>

<Monitor>

you have to be very exact.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    theapplegenius beat me to it. It should work fine if you follow his instructions. I'm posting this from a single processor G4 867 running a Radeon 9650 from my friends Dual G5.

I put a piece of scotch tape over the area of those first 11 pins and used a hobby knife to cut away everything but 3 & 11. Took me about 2 minutes.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I was wondering about the best way of going about this for when I get an x800. Thanks for that.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Or cut out the little strips horizontally off of the roll of tape if you're squeamish about wielding a knife near your graphics card.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks. Very helpful guys. I'll look around for prices on the x800. OWC was at about 440$, and I ended up looking at ATI's site, where they have it for 399$. I read somewhere that it was at 370 at Buy.com. I suppose Apple would have the point of view that as long as you have a different graphics card in your G5 that it would void the warranty, but then if you put the original back in, the warranty would be fine.