Analyst sees Intel PowerBook in January

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Here's an early review of a 2GHz dual core Yonah, not the fastest one that will be delivered, compared to an Athlon 64 X2 3800+.

This should increase interest in these chips.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sho...px?i=2627&p=10

EDIT: Sorry, that was the last page. Here is the first.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sho...spx?i=2627&p=1

By the way, the Athlon is not a laptop chip. Remember that when you look at the tests!

it's looking pretty decent there, assuming the performance scales reasonably with power consumption for the mobile versions ... single and dualcore yonahs look likely to dominate the mobile market in 2006.

personally though i can't wait to see what amd brings to the table next year i hope their desktop stuff moves beyond it's cult following, and i hope they have a very serious and strong alternative to intel in the mobile space, where they are currently getting their a55 kicked... if only marketshare-wise....
  • Reply 22 of 34
    If this is true, it's great news. They can't come fast enough. I've been waiting a year and a half to make the big switch.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kolchak

No, thanks. I'll hold out for the 30" Powerbook Aluminum. It'll be built into a Zero Halliburton 29" Zeroller case loaded with a ton of batteries. Good thing, because that 30" LCD will suck battery power faster than Whitney Houston inhales cocaine. Don't expect to be able to use it on an airline tray, though, even if the seat ahead of you is in the full upright position. Oh, just one more thing: it'll have fold-out legs so you don't need a table to put it on.

30" Alum?..lol...we all know its going to made out of admantium with extendable claws

Honestly though...I am really hoping for new powerbooks...mine will be 3 years old in exactly two weeks...Applecare is running out and I am long overdue for an upgrade
  • Reply 24 of 34
    To save time, I will just ask teh following:

Will Apple update the 17 inch with the 15 inch?

Honestly, the 17 inch with 20" viewable area on the new screens is bad ass. If they made it 25% skinnier, That would be great too.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Considering that AAPL closed at nearly $68 today, I'd say his "target price" of $51 was a wee bit out of date, and $71 isn't that outrageuous (they hit $70 on Monday I think).

Hee Hee I finnaly did something right! I Bought Apple at 23 dollars a share when the "experts" predicted it's demise.

• Reply 26 of 34
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    I was robbed on Friday, lost my 7 month old 15" PowerBook. So now I play a waiting game, do I buy or do I wait. I have my linux box at home to use until I get a new laptop, but the convinence of a laptop is important. Roll on January key note speach
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by wgauvin

I was robbed on Friday, lost my 7 month old 15" PowerBook. So now I play a waiting game, do I buy or do I wait. I have my linux box at home to use until I get a new laptop, but the convinence of a laptop is important. Roll on January key note speach

I'm right there waiting with ya buddy. My Tibook is telling me that my hard drive is failing. Luckily my AppleCare doesn't run out until 15th of December. I'm just trying to keep this dude running until I can get something new.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

sorry to hear that mate... no home insurance or anythin? \
  • Reply 29 of 34
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

sorry to hear that mate... no home insurance or anythin? \

Nah... been talking about it, but never got around to it. The irony is that I work for a company that writes software for insurance. Doesn't matter, I have contents insurance now, and it's a life lesson. Just looking on the bright side of life.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Nah... been talking about it, but never got around to it. The irony is that I work for a company that writes software for insurance. Doesn't matter, I have contents insurance now, and it's a life lesson. Just looking on the bright side of life.

Since MacWorld is just about 4 weeks away, I would advise you to wait. since you are asking, I assume that you can.

It pays to find out if anything new in the Intel world is coming around soon, as the rumors keep telling us.

Sorry for your loss.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Since MacWorld is just about 4 weeks away, I would advise you to wait. since you are asking, I assume that you can.

It pays to find out if anything new in the Intel world is coming around soon, as the rumors keep telling us.

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks, yeah I'm waiting, and I have my linux box. A friend offered me an old G3 if I needed a computer, but I think I will be fine. I won't have money for a new laptop for a few months, so waiting for Mac World is definitely on my list of things to wait for.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    My worst fear showed its nasty face the other day, after I read this article.

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/7782/

Now there's a rumour that says the rumours (about the big Intel switch already in January) are spurious.

"Quite a number of pundits have gone out and predicted the appearance of Intel based Powerbooks from Apple this January - but it isn't going to happen. In fact what I expect is either, or both, an Intel based Mini and/or some Intel based iBooks."

.. it's really confusing.. But I'm really hoping to see a Intel PowerBook at MacWorld SF January 2006.

I've been saving up for a new Intel PowerBook for quite some time now, I've just under $3000. So I finally got the cash - but does Apple have the IPB ready? That's the big question on my mind atm.

Can anyone of you, tell me which one of these rumours, that's most likely?
  • Reply 33 of 34
    The big problem with Paul Murphy's article for ZDNet that the link in your post refers to is his estimates of what PC manufacturers are paying for processors -- frankly, they're ludicrous. I don't know what you pay for processor upgrades in Denmark, but they sell current Dothan processors complete with heatsink and fan for desktops for under $250 RETAIL in the US, and he's suggesting laptop makers are paying close to that wholesale for the chip alone, no fan, no heatsink. So as far as I can tell either Murphy is making that number up or else some PC vendors signed some very bad contracts of the kind Apple would not touch with a bargepole.

So don't take it too much to heart.

As for a switch I think a lot of the January speculation has arisen from the fact that Intel seem to have moved ahead of schedule with their Intel Core 65-nanometer processors (starting with Yonah) that are shortly to replace the Centrino (e.g. Dothan) processors. Originally a lot of people were talking about spring, but now the launch appears set for the beginning of January. At the same time Apple is moving quickly with their operating system development and universal binaries of Java and iTunes have showed up to the public.

So basically it appears as though there's an opportunity for Apple to bite the bullet three or four months early. But in all honesty, I think everyone is going on these two signs alone -- Intel development and production of the new processor, and what Apple is supplying in terms of Mac OS X components to developers and consumers.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by photoeditor

The big problem with Paul Murphy's article for ZDNet that the link in your post refers to is his estimates of what PC manufacturers are paying for processors -- frankly, they're ludicrous. I don't know what you pay for processor upgrades in Denmark, but they sell current Dothan processors complete with heatsink and fan for desktops for under $250 RETAIL in the US, and he's suggesting laptop makers are paying close to that wholesale for the chip alone, no fan, no heatsink. So as far as I can tell either Murphy is making that number up or else some PC vendors signed some very bad contracts of the kind Apple would not touch with a bargepole.

So don't take it too much to heart.

As for a switch I think a lot of the January speculation has arisen from the fact that Intel seem to have moved ahead of schedule with their Intel Core 65-nanometer processors (starting with Yonah) that are shortly to replace the Centrino (e.g. Dothan) processors. Originally a lot of people were talking about spring, but now the launch appears set for the beginning of January. At the same time Apple is moving quickly with their operating system development and universal binaries of Java and iTunes have showed up to the public.

So basically it appears as though there's an opportunity for Apple to bite the bullet three or four months early. But in all honesty, I think everyone is going on these two signs alone -- Intel development and production of the new processor, and what Apple is supplying in terms of Mac OS X components to developers and consumers.

Others have said that the factories aren't producing any of the machines yet, so there seems to be a building of consensus about this.