Preview: 'Scale' in Page Setup does not work

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have been trying to print out some pictures at different sizes in preview (I do not want to add them to my iPhoto library). No matter how I change the 'scale' option in 'Page Setup', they print out at the same size. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    For some reason scale does not seem to have an effect in Preview. (Just spent 5 minutes messing around with it, so maybe I am missing something too)

However, if you open your pictures in Safari or drag them into a TextEdit document, scaling works as expected and you can print from there.

In Preview the pictures can be scaled by creating a custom paper size and scaling to fit and printing to this custom size, or changing the layout option to 2 or more pages per printed page.(layout allows up to 16 pages per printed page)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks very much! Must be a big in Preview. I am just trying to set up my dad's scanner so he can use it as a photocopier, since the included Epson software is buggy and crap. I'll just set Image Capture to automatically open the picture in Safari instead of Preview.
  • Reply 3 of 6

I, when this happens in Preview, use the Zoom option to bring it as big as I want (apple+ +,-). Have you tried this?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Superhall, Maybe i am missing something in your response. Resizing the screen view has no impact on the print out. ?+, and ?- in Preview and Photoshop et al, only effects the screen image, no change occurs in the print out regardless of the zoom size. (unless there are subsequent steps that follow?)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Skills

I have been trying to print out some pictures at different sizes in preview (I do not want to add them to my iPhoto library). No matter how I change the 'scale' option in 'Page Setup', they print out at the same size. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I think you are right - it is a bug, but I did not actually print out a page. What I am wondering is if you uncheck "scale to fit" in the Print dialog ... that may be overriding the scale factor in Page Setup.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

I think you are right - it is a bug, but I did not actually print out a page. What I am wondering is if you uncheck "scale to fit" in the Print dialog ... that may be overriding the scale factor in Page Setup.

No, I tried that I'm afraid. 'Scale To Fit' does work, but the percentage scale does not. Thanks for the idea, though.

If anyone has a minute, would they please mind reporting the bug at http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/ - just to get their attention! I think it's quite important to get printout size working on the OS's main image viewing/printing app!