The new Quad and Ram question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
first off I did a search but didn't see anything on this subject

I have been told that my new Quad with the BTO 7800 GT is in ,now I need it fill it up with another 4 gig of ram. My retailer sells ram called NuImpact (they use Micron and Samsung chips only) but I have never heard of NuImpact and the chips are only one part of the final ram board. Has anyone heard of them? Since the Quad may be even more picky about which ram it likes, does anyone have any first hand knowledge about what seems to work best(better) with the Quad?

I have been looking at PQI 2048MB Dual Channel PC4200 DDR2 Memory from tigerDirect for 269.99 Can

because of the type of work I do I don't mind spending the money if it means better performance etc

any insight is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by climber

first off I did a search but didn't see anything on this subject

I have been told that my new Quad with the BTO 7800 GT is in ,now I need it fill it up with another 4 gig of ram. My retailer sells ram called NuImpact (they use Micron and Samsung chips only) but I have never heard of NuImpact and the chips are only one part of the final ram board. Has anyone heard of them? Since the Quad may be even more picky about which ram it likes, does anyone have any first hand knowledge about what seems to work best(better) with the Quad?

I have been looking at PQI 2048MB Dual Channel PC4200 DDR2 Memory from tigerDirect for 269.99 Can

because of the type of work I do I don't mind spending the money if it means better performance etc

any insight is greatly appreciated

$270 Canadian is about $230 US I believe. That's pretty expensive for just 2 GB.

I picked up four 1 GB Mushkin PC4200 sticks from Newegg for $78 each:

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820146369

Works fine and matches the Apple 512 MB specs (444) in System Profiler.

You can pay a lot more and get CL3 RAM, but barefeats and others proved there's very little gain in DD2 territory.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    climberclimber Posts: 130member
    thanks yasashiku...I will check out newegg

I did another check and TD has the same ram at 199.99..not sure what the difference is. Other that calling Tiger Direct how can you tell if ram falls within Apple spec....is there such a thing a PC ram? or is it that some ram just isn't up to apples OS pickyness.