ipod tape adapter help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited February 2014
Hello everyone, I am near positive my problem here lies within my car stereo system, but maybe someone can help.

I have a 5G iPod and a brand new monster tape adapter to use in my car, every now and then my car spits out the tape, and on the display (of the car stereo) it says E10, which I can only imagine is an error code...when it spits out a super scratched CD it says E20.

SO, what is causing this? When the tape adapter is working it works beautifully, but all of a sudden out of no where it spits it out for no good reason. At least with a CD you can kind of see it coming, it will start to skip and hiccup a bit and eventually give up. The tape adapter on the other just spits out the tape with no warning.

I have gotten the tape adapter to work for a long time, even days sometimes, and sometimes it only spits out the adapter once a day, but USUALLY once it spits it out once it's all downhill from there and the tape only stays in for 10 seconds at a time.

In an effort to troubleshoot this I have tried a few things.

First of all, I thought that because of the gain staging there could be a volume overload causing the error, so I experimented with different volumes on the ipod, and on my stereo, and it didn't change a thing. Then I unplugged the adapter from the iPod and just let it play nothing in the stereo. The results are so sporadic it is hard to tell if that was the problem, I thought it was, but it eventually spit the tape back out at me.

So, it seems logically that the problem is my tape player in my car (which is a very well maintained car 2001 LeSabre). The same thing happens in my friends car with his ipod and tape adapter, before I shell out money on a tap cleaner I want to know if anyone has had this problem and how they fixed it.

sorry for being long winded and thanks again!

-Royboy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    does your friend have the same model tape adapter?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    good question, and no he doesn't. I tried this in my fathers car, which is also a buick, and got the same results. I know most logic points to the tape player, but I don't see how it could have gotten so bad, and I hate to waste money on something like a tape cleaner that I have no other use for. If I KNEW it would fix my problem I would buy it in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gm7Cadd9

good question, and no he doesn't. I tried this in my fathers car, which is also a buick, and got the same results. I know most logic points to the tape player, but I don't see how it could have gotten so bad, and I hate to waste money on something like a tape cleaner that I have no other use for. If I KNEW it would fix my problem I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Aren't tape cleaners like $5? I have never heard of this type of error before. I don;t have a problem with my tape adapter but then again mine is totally a manual eject thing
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I have exactly the same problem. I've tried it with a number of different tapes as well. It's been so bad, that I no longer use my ipod in the car.

The only reasons I can think of:

(1) the tape deck is messed up

(2) the tape deck somehow damages the cassette adaptor

(3) the cassette adaptor is messed up

With all of the different types I've trid, I'm leaning towards (1) or (2). Anyone have any ideas?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    FINALLY, after much googling (to no avail) I finally found the solution to my problem.

I happen to have the Monster tape adapter, but a few others have this same problem. If you read the product reviews on apples website you find that tons of people suffer from this very problem.

The solution. Odd as it may sound, take apart the tape adapter and remove the gear with the rubber piece on it (you can find it pretty easily and it pops right out) this is what aligns the tape head to the cassette, so taking it out may mean that you have to press the switch sides button on your stereo. But so far no troubles!

good luck.
  • Reply 6 of 6

Hello. I was having the same trouble with my cassette adapter spitting out after a few seconds, and it was a Monster cassette adapter, so I took out the gear with the rubber piece on it. So far so good. What worries me is that I have another cassette adapter that lets you take the wire and move it to the other side, so that it doesn't have contact with the rubber piece, and this cassette now is popping out.  I am worried that my Monster cassette adapter, even though it seems to work now, will eventually start popping out, since in the other cassette, it pops out without even working with the rubber piece.  Any suggestions? Maybe I should wait until it does pop out, but...my boyfriend insists that taking out the mechanism with the rubber piece in the cassette that now pops out won't do any good because we've moved the wire so that it works with the other side, but I'm not convinced. I would like to take the rubber piece out just in case there is some chance that that's the problem, but my boyfriend is convinced that isn't the trouble.