Virtual PC for MacIntel: When do you think MS will release it?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
If we do get power books and iMacs with with yonahs in them in January or February, when do you think we will have a VPC program released?

I am hoping that the new VPC for MacIntel will allow me to run windows apps with little effort at decent speed. I can almost taste running AutoCad on my new iMac now.

So, what are you predictions about a release date for VPC MacIntel and what new features (i.e. run window apps without actually loading windows) that we will see?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    there are other posts about running windows on macintel, but why vpc, can't you just run windows and have both os's running side by side?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    The ability to run Windows within a window at full speed would be vert handy. I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of options in this space. Something along the lines of VMWare would be great.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

there are other posts about running windows on macintel, but why vpc, can't you just run windows and have both os's running side by side?

See the post below yours.

I need windows at the SAME time on my Mac. In business, I don't have time to reboot into windows to do a drawing print it in pdf form, and attach it to my email with the price quote I made on my Mac. That waste too much time and is aggravating.

It also keeps me from getting a 23" apple display since DVI KVM are pretty expensive and my PC doesn't have DVI. Too bad because that makes my mini very dim and harder to see, which sucks.

I want my iDisk to contain my drawings so I have access to them at any time. While some people would be happy with a dual boot configuration, it won't work for me.

I need VMWare for the mac like ChrisG stated.

I need two windows apps, AutoCad and FrontPage (work required). If I could run those on a mac while inside Tiger, I would be a happy man. :-)

Of course, I would have to figure out how to print to my Hp Design Jet with parellel port interface but that doesn't worry me, right now anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Don't wait for MS to release an app that makes it possible to run Windows apps without running (buying) WindowsXP/Vista.

Not gonna happen.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Well of course you'd buy Windows - nobody is talking about not doing that. The question is how to run Windows in a window itself, like Virtual PC and VMWare do now.

My guess is that VMWare will be out first since they have a product that runs on Linux and while that's as different from OS X as Windows itself is, its also less tied to the frameworks.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

So, what are you predictions about a release date for VPC MacIntel and what new features (i.e. run window apps without actually loading windows) that we will see?

This is what I was responding to alex_kac.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

VPC has gone from Windows emulation to mass emulation, and the latter one is the one I believe MS was focusing their marketing campaign on.

Its so much more now!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

VPC has gone from Windows emulation to mass emulation, and the latter one is the one I believe MS was focusing their marketing campaign on.

Its so much more now!

Huh? Always has been. Connectix released VPC 1.0 as a counterpoint to the then king of the hill, SoftWindows. Connectix marketed its product as an x86-emulator as opposed to Insignia Solutions's SoftWindows Windows-emulator. Until it sold the product line to Microsoft, Connectix sold VPC packages that contained no Microsoft software. Today, Microsoft will sell you a VPC package in which the only Microsoft software is VPC.