Newbie Questions

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I recently downloaded FireFox, but now there is a FireFox icon on my desktop... I think that if I delete it it will delete the program, but I don't want it on my desktop. Please help! Thank you!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TrojanShawn

I recently downloaded FireFox, but now there is a FireFox icon on my desktop... I think that if I delete it it will delete the program, but I don't want it on my desktop. Please help! Thank you!!

My guess is that what you have on your Desktop is the icon of the mounted disk image which contains Firefox. If this is the case, double-click on the icon to open it. Drag the Firefox icon inside to your Applications folder. If you have the actual Firefox application on your Desktop, then just drag it to your Applications folder. With the Firefox application in your Applications folder, you can move the .dmg file to the Trash and then empty the Trash. All will be fine.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    It looked like a hard drive with the firefox logo on it. When I trashed it and then clicked on the FireFox logo in the dock it showed up on the desktop again and brought up a window that has the firefox logo in it... I thought I had dragged FireFox into the applications, but maybe I dragged the wrong one.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    well, the icon in the dock is just a shortcut to the actual program. you need to re-mount the disk, then open it and drag the app to your app folder then you can eject the disk and everything should be fine. if something doesn't work just put everything in the trash and download it again and follow those directions
  • Reply 4 of 7
    You'll need to also drag the icon off your dock and re-add it from the one that is placed in your Applications folder.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Thanks guys!! That worked! I'll get used to this whole Macintosh soon
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Shortcuts have this little arrow in the left bottom corner - You can always delete them whenever you want, without doing anything to the original app.

You can create new shortcuts by right-clicking on your original app and select 'create shortcut'. (Or something similar)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    The shortcuts is the dock don't have the arrow in the corner though, unless it was put there from a shortcut. And it's called alias not shortcut in OS X