Creative introduces iPod video knockoff

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Creative on Thursday launched the Zen Vision:M digital music and video player -- an knockoff of Apple's iPod that offers a strikingly similar look and feel to the fifth-generation video iPod with a few added twists and longer battery life.

The 30GB video player, photo viewer and MP3 player was "designed with a stunning, 2.5-inch, high-resolution 262,144 color LCD screen" which "displays rich, vibrant digital video, and photos, full-color menus and album art," according to Creative.

The Singapore-based digital audio company said the $330 player will hold up to 15,000 songs and supports music subscription services including Yahoo! Music Unlimited, Napster To Go and Rhapsody To Go.

Creative claims the Zen Vision:M's rechargeable battery provides up to 14 hours of music playback or 4 hours of video playback. Supported video formats include MPEG-2, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, and MJPEG.

The player also supports TiVoToGo for free viewing of TV shows recorded on a TiVo personal video recorder, digitized home movies transferred from the PC, and video blogs from companies such as RocketBoom.

"When people see the Zen Vision:M, they tell us it's incredibly cool," said Sim Wong Hoo, chairman and CEO of Creative. "We designed the Zen Vision:M with its mesmerizing 262,144 color screen to display four times the color of the 30GB iPod that plays video, and to provide twice the battery life for video playback."

Taking another stab at rival Apple, Hoo said: "Plus, we offer people the freedom to choose their video in a variety of different formats, and to get subscription music or download tracks from a number of different sites to their player."

Other features of the Zen Vision:M include FM radio and recording with 32 preset options, a Vertical Touch Pad and Tactile Buttons, content password protection, a built-in Microphone, selectable interface themes, an organizer, and the ability to display full-color image output on any size TV screen through an optional composite video-out connector.

Creative's iPod knockoff: the Zen Vision:M

Creative said the Zen Vision:M will ship this month and will include an AC adapter, USB 2.0 cable, high-quality earphones, and a protective pouch. Optional accessories will include a docking station and an AV-out cable.

But if facsimileing Apple's latest iPod wasn't enough, Creative appears ripe to take its digital audio battle with the iPod maker to the mattresses. At the launch of the Zen Vision:M, Hoo reportedly told the BBC he plans to "aggressively" pursue a US patent that Creative owns on a system used to navigate music on digital players.

The report follows speculation that the company would seek royalties from Apple after it said it had won a patent in the US for "the way music tracks are organized and navigated on a player through a hierarchical system using three or more screens."

In recent months, Creative has also accused Apple of creating a shortage of digital music players due to its strategic flash-memory partnership with Samsung Electronics.

"Industry demand for high-capacity flash memory currently outstrips supply and this will impact availability of our 1GB flash MP3 players for the holiday quarter. [...] The shortage of flash memory, according to industry analyst speculation, is primarily a result of a special deal that Apple has secured from a key supplier for the holiday season," Creative Labs president Craig McHugh said in late October.

Creative last quarter posted a bigger loss than analysts had expected, partially due to competition from Apple and its flash-memory price squeeze.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    So how this compare to Apple iPods? Any comparison table out there?

I like its Radio FM and voice recording features, besides the video out option. Can it be used for computerless Keynote and PowerPoint presentations? That would rock!

I miss the Firewire interface and the possibility to boot the Mac for repairs.

Apple: I want an iPod like that to boot from it and to make wireless computerless presentations booting Mac OS X from it!!!

Hey people: COMPETITION IS GOOD -- VERY GOOD!!! For all of us.
  • Reply 2 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

In recent months, Creative has also accused Apple of creating a shortage of digital music players due to its strategic flash-memory partnership with Samsung Electronics.

oh boo hoo

stategic flash-memory partnership??!!

its their own fault they didnt negotiate a deal

stu
  • Reply 3 of 99
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I like the green color
  • Reply 4 of 99
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    I am going to take a look at it and provided the specs are what they say they are, I might purchase one. I too believe that competition is good.
  • Reply 5 of 99
    ha ha Sim Wong "I'm gonna kill the iPod" Hoo! That guy cracks me up. First he announced that he was going to "kill the iPod" then his company posts mega losses and they axe half their product line.

Now, what a comeback: an iPod video ripoff. So I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery eh?

Competition is good, but these guys are good for humor too. The build quality on these things is horrible and they're priced the same as a real iPod. Why not just get an iPod?
  • Reply 6 of 99
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rdas7

Competition is good, but these guys are good for humor too. The build quality on these things is horrible and they're priced the same as a real iPod. Why not just get an iPod? [/B]

Because I might want to use Tivo2go for content instead of iTunes. For the same price as a "real" iPod I get all the file types of my existing video library as opposed to half on the iPod and I get Tivo2go. We'll have to wait and see if the build quality sucks or not as that's the only real thing that I personally would worry about.

I do love how they use a white background to hide the bulk of the device (most of the body is white) and make it look thinner like an iPod nano. I'd be pretty pissed off if I ordered one of these and hadn't noticed that, even though size isn't too much of a concern for me. (within reason of course)
  • Reply 7 of 99
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Quote:

Competition is good, but these guys are good for humor too. The build quality on these things is horrible and they're priced the same as a real iPod. Why not just get an iPod?

I've been around long enough to remember how people laughed and poked fun at Toyota too when they first came to the United States. I remember it well as people said they were junk, funny looking, too small, etc. Who's laughing now? If I recall Apple was in the doldrums for a while in the past. I love Apple, but the marketplace is a vicious animal, leaving no hostages.
  • Reply 8 of 99
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Don't forget that they're twice as thick as the 30 GB video iPod too.
  • Reply 9 of 99
    I don't like the orientation of the display for viewing video. I didn't like it with the 5G iPod, and I don't like it with this player. Creative should have turned the screen sideways and put the vertical touchpad beside it. And then made it ambidextrous. That device would win my dollars.
  • Reply 10 of 99
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    And copying Apple's product photography too.

I wonder how far it will take them?
  • Reply 11 of 99
    Hmm.. Looking at my 3rd Gen iPod, I´m quite tempted. And *gasp*, the Design looks pretts good, too.

If it plays Xvid, then the better - I´d love to watch my Anime on the go :3

Any ideas how it will integrate in iTunes?
  • Reply 12 of 99
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

oh boo hoo

I like what you've done there... genius!

Well my take on this is that it's all about competition. We really shouldn't take it to personally. If a company such as Apple is able to innovate, to develop new products that appeal to a market ? then that product, and consequently Apple, are going to do well.

This leaves the other 99% of competitors who can't innovate (Creative, Microsoft etc). What are they to do? Well, the only thing thing can do, because they are incapable of original thought, is to copy Apple.

This can clearly be seen with this (forgotten what it's called already) iPod rip-off and the latest screenshots of Vista.

This series of events is played out over and over again in all types of market.

And Sim Wong Boo Hoo, the only reason that Apple are able to nail down flash memory production is because they have a need for it ? you don't. So instead of whining about how well Apple are doing, why don't you innovate and give us a product that we'd all pick over the iPod? Come on, don't just do iPod knock offs! Create something that'll blow us away!

Or perhaps you aren't very Creative?
  • Reply 13 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Or perhaps you aren't very Creative?

Oh very good

It is intersting to have a bit of competition, but personally the only reason i would possibly buy this over the ipod video would be the tivo to go feautre, but sinse i cant get tivo where i live, its not possible.
  • Reply 14 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

Hmm.. Looking at my 3rd Gen iPod, I´m quite tempted. And *gasp*, the Design looks pretts good, too.

If it plays Xvid, then the better - I´d love to watch my Anime on the go :3

Any ideas how it will integrate in iTunes?

I don't think you can use the Zen with iTunes, you'll have to move your library over to Windows Media Player if your on windows. I don't think Macs can access yahoo! unlimited either... I think you would have to use Realplayer's software for syncing with the Zen on a Mac.
  • Reply 15 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Creative on Thursday launched the Zen Vision:M digital music and video player -- an knockoff of Apple's iPod that offers a strikingly similar look and feel to the fifth-generation video iPod with a few added twists and longer battery life.

The 30GB video player, photo viewer and MP3 player was "designed with a stunning, 2.5-inch, high-resolution 262,144 color LCD screen" which "displays rich, vibrant digital video, and photos, full-color menus and album art," according to Creative.

The Singapore-based digital audio company said the $330 player will hold up to 15,000 songs and supports music subscription services including Yahoo! Music Unlimited, Napster To Go and Rhapsody To Go.

Creative claims the Zen Vision:M's rechargeable battery provides up to 14 hours of music playback or 4 hours of video playback. Supported video formats include MPEG-2, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, and MJPEG.

The player also supports TiVoToGo for free viewing of TV shows recorded on a TiVo personal video recorder, digitized home movies transferred from the PC, and video blogs from companies such as RocketBoom.

"When people see the Zen Vision:M, they tell us it's incredibly cool," said Sim Wong Hoo, chairman and CEO of Creative. "We designed the Zen Vision:M with its mesmerizing 262,144 color screen to display four times the color of the 30GB iPod that plays video, and to provide twice the battery life for video playback."

Taking another stab at rival Apple, Hoo said: "Plus, we offer people the freedom to choose their video in a variety of different formats, and to get subscription music or download tracks from a number of different sites to their player."

Other features of the Zen Vision:M include FM radio and recording with 32 preset options, a Vertical Touch Pad and Tactile Buttons, content password protection, a built-in Microphone, selectable interface themes, an organizer, and the ability to display full-color image output on any size TV screen through an optional composite video-out connector.

Creative's iPod knockoff: the Zen Vision:M

Creative said the Zen Vision:M will ship this month and will include an AC adapter, USB 2.0 cable, high-quality earphones, and a protective pouch. Optional accessories will include a docking station and an AV-out cable.

But if facsimileing Apple's latest iPod wasn't enough, Creative appears ripe to take its digital audio battle with the iPod maker to the mattresses. At the launch of the Zen Vision:M, Hoo reportedly told the BBC he plans to "aggressively" pursue a US patent that Creative owns on a system used to navigate music on digital players.

The report follows speculation that the company would seek royalties from Apple after it said it had won a patent in the US for "the way music tracks are organized and navigated on a player through a hierarchical system using three or more screens."

"Industry demand for high-capacity flash memory currently outstrips supply and this will impact availability of our 1GB flash MP3 players for the holiday quarter. [...] The shortage of flash memory, according to industry analyst speculation, is primarily a result of a special deal that Apple has secured from a key supplier for the holiday season," Creative Labs president Craig McHugh said in late October.

Creative last quarter posted a bigger loss than analysts had expected, partially due to competition from Apple and its flash-memory price squeeze.
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Creative Sucks.
  • Reply 16 of 99
    The Zen Vision does have a wider screen and has the format that a lot of the mocked up iPod videos speculated on.

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=12985
  • Reply 17 of 99
    This guy is an idiot. Apple can win a trade dress suit long before Creative's Patent can ever be settled (even if it were ligit).

By the time it is settled Apple will have forced Creative to withdraw their product and they will long have been in bankruptcy.
  • Reply 18 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by CREB

I've been around long enough to remember how people laughed and poked fun at Toyota too when they first came to the United States. I remember it well as people said they were junk, funny looking, too small, etc. Who's laughing now?

This is true, however Toyota implemented a process of continuous improvement and flow-based manufacturing, etc. that enabled them to climb to where they are now. If Creative has the same, then I'd be a bit more worried. Funny thing is, Apple kind of has this already. They are continually improving and tweaking their products even in small hardly noticeable ways.
  • Reply 19 of 99
    Twice as bulky as the iPod, $30 more expensive, knock-off design? I like competition, don't get me wrong, but this is just lame. Come up with something original, instead of making it look like an iPod, so some consumers purchase it by accident.
  • Reply 20 of 99
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mike518

Creative Sucks.

Was it really necessary to quote the entire article just to say that?