The great "little things"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just discovered that if you click-and-hold on an item in the dock, it acts as though it was right-clicked. It's soooooooo awesome.

So I was hoping your guys would share your little discoveries =)

Stedwick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Mmm-hmm.

You can hold down Command while resizing or dragging a window that's not the current front window, and Mac OS X won't bring it to the front.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Select some text in Safari and then take a look at all the things the Safari->Services menu will let you do with it.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    When in iTunes, without going up to the search field, type part of the name of the track you want to hear.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Hold down command and click and drag the menu bar icons (the airport, bluetooth, time, sound etc) to move them into the order you like. Unfortunately you can't move third party icons around.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

You can hold down Command while resizing or dragging a window that's not the current front window, and Mac OS X won't bring it to the front.

Actually this is true for any mouse-driven action in a background window. It's not just confined to dragging and resizing.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    regreg Posts: 832member
    In iPhoto 5 the camera can be ejected in the source area. I don't remember if 4 had this. This is especially useful when I download pictures on my wifes computer. She has easily over 100 things on her desktop (I on the other hand like to have mine clear). Ejecting from there saves me from having to hunt for the camera icon.

reg
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Hold down the command key and press TAB. Keep holding the command key. You can now use the arrow keys to scroll through apps. While still holding the command key, you can also press Q to quit the selected app.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

...you can also press Q to quit the selected app.

Or H to hide an app.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

Hold down the command key and press TAB. Keep holding the command key. You can now use the arrow keys to scroll through apps. While still holding the command key, you can also press Q to quit the selected app.

You can also use the mouse to point to the app while command-tabbing.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    press cmd/tab to scroll left->right through apps

press cmd/shift/tab to scroll right->left through apps

cmd h hides and app to be "maximized" when scrolled through app

click title bar twice to "minimize" app (can be turned off but default)
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Not related to OSX, but just noticed this on the iMac pages, which I think shows great attention to detail;
    Quote:

Even when it?s sleeping, iMac thinks about what?s best for you. In low-light environments, a sensor detects the room?s ambient light and adjusts the sleep light to match ? so you and your iMac G5 can both catch some Zs.

• Reply 12 of 42
    When using the arrow keys in iTunes to skip to the next track, hold down Option to skip to the first track of the next album, or hold option and command to fast forward through the current track.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Hold down command and click and drag the menu bar icons (the airport, bluetooth, time, sound etc) to move them into the order you like. Unfortunately you can't move third party icons around.

Thank you! I was wondering if that was possible, and now I know it is!
  • Reply 14 of 42
    imhoimho Posts: 30member
    Hold in the Option key and click the Close, Minimize to Dock, or Zoom buttons. It turns them into Close All, Minimze All, and Zoom All. If you click open the File Menu, and hit Option, you will actually see "Close" change to "Close All".

Additionally, if you have a bunch of windows open in an app, like Safari, and want to close all of them except for a select few, minimize those to the Dock. Option+click the Close widget of one of the remaining windows to close them. All of the Safari windows will close, except those Docked. Then, Option+click one of the Docked window to return the remaining Safari windows to their previous location.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    1. If you have just one scroll wheel in your mouse, hold the Shift key while scrolling to go sideways.

2. You can cycle among open windows by pressing the Tab key after launching Exposé. (A neat animation effect).

3. Discovered after Danosaur's tip, you can press Command in the window's title (like Safari) to get the directory structure to move backwards. This is so awesome, but maybe some of you know this.

Really useful in Finder to see where exactly you are (or move 3 folders back, for example)

This thread it great!
  • Reply 16 of 42
    1. quick access to some folders

CMD-click onto the title of any document, e.g.

word, preview etc. --> a pull down menu pops up

showing you the actual path of the file. still better,

navigate through the menu, release the curser on some

folder you want, the finder will open the folder you

selected. Gorgeous.

2. documents to mail

If you are working e.g. in "Word" and you want to

attach the frontmost document to mail,

--> click onto the little icon left to the title bar,

wait a second until the little icon is highlighted, than

drag the icon to the docked mail icon, voilá...

The same way you can move documents around.

3.safari and stickies (or any other text/pic.app)

open stickies.app, open at least one stickie. go to safari.

within safari make a selection, drag the content via exposé

onto the stickie, release the mouse button. enjoy.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alliancep.s.i

press cmd/tab to scroll left->right through apps

press cmd/shift/tab to scroll right->left through apps

cmd/~ will also scroll right->left once you've brought up the app switcher with cmd/tab.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    boubabouba Posts: 33member
    command-space to activate spotlight

type your the name of the app you want to open

command-enter will select the top hit and launch it.

voilÃ*! a very fast launcher! ;-)
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Ah, the Cmd-Enter thing is useful.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

When in iTunes, without going up to the search field, type part of the name of the track you want to hear.

--B

Actually that works in other parts of the OS too, like in finder, just start typing the name of the file.