iMac with 802.11n

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all,

Has there been any talk of adding 802.11n to the iMac with Front Row at macworld next month?

I would like to see this and also an Airport Express A/V. I would get both!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Problem is the "n" standard in wireless hasn't really been finalized last I checked. Belkin (I think) offers pre-n gear, which has been getting good reviews but I don't believe there is any actual "n" gear out there with the final standard.

Also the current pre-n stuff will require a firmware patch when the "n" specs are released in all likelihood.

I agree that it would be cool to have, but Apple will probably wait for the final standard.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    They used Pre-G specifications in the original AirPort Extreme...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Would people please stop thinking that there will be a new iMac at MWSF? They just did a major revision in October! Not to mention that 802.11n isn't even close to being ratified yet.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by StealthRider

They used Pre-G specifications in the original AirPort Extreme...

Yes, however, this time there's two competing standards. Current Pre-N gear has a 50% chance of actually turning out to be proper N gear.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    And besides speeds above g and below gigabit ethernet isn´t as pressing as g was.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Range and power consumption are the important factors this time around I think.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Also,,

Why has Apple not adopted the Blueclass class 1 yet. It has 100 meter distance instead of 10 meters.

D-Link and Belkin both make adapters.

Wish list,

1) 803.11n

2) Bluetooth Class 1 (100 meter version)

3) Put Backup in the OS and not just for .Mac. All other OS's include a backup in the OS.

4) 1 GB RAM standard, NO LESS

5) Option to buy pictures right off of the Homepage photo pages. I publish pictures, then family/friends can go to the page and buy the pictures. Like snapfish, but with the cool web page templates.

6) iPod Cell phone. Or update the ROKR!!

7) iPod doc built right into the computer, so no cables or crazy doc's.

8) Put ichat into Front Row.

9 & 10) Some sort of IPTV/DVR that I can stream my media to my TV. Also -make a HDTV with an ichat camera built into the frame. This way, I can be watching a show, hit Front Row, scoll to iChat, then webcam with family and when done, go back to my movie.

11) Build Cordless homephone/IP phone for the house.

12) Airport Express A/V. stream iMovies, QT files, etc to any device i have an AE A/V plugged into.

13) IP based Surround Sound Speakers.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    ...for only 5,000 dollars.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by geobe

Also,,

Why has Apple not adopted the Blueclass class 1 yet. It has 100 meter distance instead of 10 meters.

Because Bluetooth sucks for anything beyond piconets. It's not robust enough to deliver reliable medium range traffic, and these days it's not much cheaper than some of the 802.11 SoC's. Bluetooth is very much a multipoint-to-point system, and I think you'll notice that anyone interested in class one bluetooth has abandoned it for ZigBee and 802.11.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    You /sell/ pictures to your family and friends?!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by krispie

You /sell/ pictures to your family and friends?!

I don't sell them directly myself, but I take the pictures I have and upload them using Homepage. Then I have to turn around and upload the snapfish so family can buy the ones they like. It would be nicer if I can just upload them using homepage and family can buy them from there.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

Would people please stop thinking that there will be a new iMac at MWSF?

Doubtful...although I agree. In fact, the iMac/PM are the two LEAST likely to be updated.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    I'm not sure that you understood Krispie's question.

Regards.

Quote:

Originally posted by geobe

I don't sell them directly myself, but I take the pictures I have and upload them using Homepage. Then I have to turn around and upload the snapfish so family can buy the ones they like. It would be nicer if I can just upload them using homepage and family can buy them from there.

• Reply 14 of 16
    Have you ever looked at any pre-n gear? All the companies sell it guarantee that the firmware will be updatable to the official "N" spec or they will replace it with a full qualified "N" device for free.

Most of these devices have more advanced firmware roms that allow for complete update...

Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Yes, however, this time there's two competing standards. Current Pre-N gear has a 50% chance of actually turning out to be proper N gear.

• Reply 15 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Most of these devices have more advanced firmware roms that allow for complete update...

It is too my knowledge impossible to implement functionality of the other standard with just a firmware update.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

It is too my knowledge impossible to implement functionality of the other standard with just a firmware update.

The question is, has there been any rumor of Apple releasing their own version of Pre-N? With all the IP DVR rumors floating around, having something more than 802.11g will help.