Desktop publisher recommendations?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What's out there in the market for Apples currently?

What do you use if any - good points? Bad ones?

I'm used to using Windows with a PDF writer with Microsoftr for

leaflets and posters. I'm currently working on a book and find that I'm getting

pagination script problems - extra spaces and re-alignment problems in between text and graphics.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    yoseyose Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Justin

pagination script problems - extra spaces and re-alignment problems in between text and graphics.

Someone mentioned Swift Publisher in another thread; It seems nice though I have not tried it. I've played with Pages a little bit but I only use it when a friend or my brother sends me a file they want me to work on.

If you are typesetting a book then InDesign would be a good choice as would Quark, if that was your style. You might look into having a layout/production designer set your book, putting the $$$ you would have spent on the software towards their fee.

Have fun either way.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    yoseyose Posts: 62member
    Ops, I hit reply instead of edit and never noticed.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

You have 171 posts on this forum and ask a question like this? You know that every MacOS X application which can print can generate PDFs via MacOS X's built-in print-to-PDF feature. You also know that the Mac is the system of choice for desktop publishing (DTP). You should also know that Adobe Indesign is the DTP application of choice. By "Microsoftr," I presume that you mean Microsoft Publisher. If this is the case, then I presume that you want a low-cost layout app. If this is the case, then you might look first at Apple's own Pages, which is available by itself or as part of the iWork bundle. Ragtime Solo is a free version of the professional DTP app. You can find darned near everything available on the Mac if you look at Versiontracker or MacUpdate.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Hi Yose,

yes - I need to typeset the book myself. A printer charges too much before the proofing stage. All I need is some foolproof webpublisher program and even with the idiot behind my computer, it'll still be a resounding success.

I'll look into Adobe Indesign then. Swift Publisher is very affordable so I may start off with that first. The web pages look good.

Quote:

You have 171 posts on this forum and ask a question like this?

I err....got waylaid by the Apple Outsider politics threads. Instead of learning how to use my Apple (2 months + old), I've been reasoning with the unreasonables.

Those Mac update pages are really helpful - I'll know where to look now.

What do you use btw?

Quote:

You know that every MacOS X application which can print can generate PDFs via MacOS X's built-in print-to-PDF feature.

I heard this, but haven't gotten this far: my printer doesn't have a USB port so I'm going to get a Canon something shortly...then I'll try it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

I heard this, but haven't gotten this far: my printer doesn't have a USB port so I'm going to get a Canon something shortly...then I'll try it.

That's not what he ment, you can create pdf files with printing utility, doesn't necessarily involve printing thoug. PDF printer prints to pdf file insted of actual printer. That way you can create PDF files from any program that can print anything.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

That's not what he ment, you can create pdf files with printing utility, doesn't necessarily involve printing thoug. PDF printer prints to pdf file insted of actual printer. That way you can create PDF files from any program that can print anything.

I took justin's response just a bit differently. My take is that he has never even tried to print anything from his Mac. As you no doubt read, he has been on this forum for quite a while, but has just now reached the areas where people can help him with his computer. Some of our priorities are just a bit different from others.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Quote:

As you no doubt read, he has been on this forum for quite a while, but has just now reached the areas where people can help him with his computer. Some of our priorities are just a bit different from others.

Yesss....I know - at least I have fully mastered how to turn my Apple on.

Very important for showing off when friends pop in.