IBook vs. Powerbook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm new hear and I do not own a mac, I am waiting for the Intel Mac and most defintely a laptop. I am really excited about the transfer to intel and I cannot wait to "switch" to apple, however I am a little worried about how I have heard the first generations of apple computers are very buggy and this time they are switching a whole processor! I am a little worrried about this and am not too keen on waiting for the second generation because I want it for the new school year. Do you guys think it will be buggy and if it is will they fix it and come out with updates once you buy it? Also what is the big difference between powerbooks and ibooks? I know powerbooks are better but also more expensive and if you are not like a movie editor, are they worth it?

-Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ukieboarder

I'm new hear and I do not own a mac, I am waiting for the Intel Mac and most defintely a laptop. I am really excited about the transfer to intel and I cannot wait to "switch" to apple, however I am a little worried about how I have heard the first generations of apple computers are very buggy and this time they are switching a whole processor! I am a little worrried about this and am not too keen on waiting for the second generation because I want it for the new school year. Do you guys think it will be buggy and if it is will they fix it and come out with updates once you buy it? Also what is the big difference between powerbooks and ibooks? I know powerbooks are better but also more expensive and if you are not like a movie editor, are they worth it?

-Thanks

Welcome.

I have had many rev A mac products and have enjoyed them all. Currently, I am still using my 12" PB (rev A) and am also looking forward to the announcement in January of hopefully new PB's. Might just get me one.

Two things have made a big difference for me between the iBook (which I previously owned, again a rev A) and the PB.

Keyboard. PB version is much better. I type a lot and I have never used a better keyboard. It is wonderful.

Case. Aluminum. Much better at hiding scratches, etc. My PB looks almost pristine after almost 3 years. The new iBooks just have a solid white case which I just think is awful. The original icebook (iBook) had a clear coating over the white (kinda like the iMac now) and it was very nice looking.

I am really hoping the 12" PB is upgraded to a 13" widescreen. And some other goodies that the 15 and 17 inchers have. Plus, I bet the new PB will be a lot thinner which will rule. I doubt the iBook will get this thin look but I could easily be wrong there.

Good luck to you. Either way, both machines are very capable and would serve you well. Plus resale is always very good so you could always change soon if you need to.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The biggest difference is the powerbooks have a PC card expansion slot, the ibooks do not.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

The biggest difference is the powerbooks have a PC card expansion slot, the ibooks do not.

The 12-inch PowerBook doesn't either.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    IF your not a poweruser, dont get a powerbook. iBooks are more than capable, and if this rumor about Apple giving it a widescreen is true, so much the better. Another rumor is that Apple will be dropping its 12" Powerbook line, which is probably supported by the fact that it doesnt have a lot of the features of the larger screen powerbooks and it hasnt been given a major upgrade in a while.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Last month my iBook (G3 900 MHz) died (I'm not sad: it's not mine, it's my employer's). Since I no longer work on the Mac porting project, I have no excuse to get a new one. However, I dug up a much older laptop - A 500 MHz G4 PowerBook.

This gave me the opportunity to compare the two. Although the PB is 2 years older than my old iBook (which is also old) the keyboard is much better on the PB. Also, the screen is much brighter (15" wide) and also the speakers are better.

As others have already told you, the keyboard makes a difference, but to me, the screen is so much better, that not I'd happily give up the extra 400 MHz for this screen.

This differences may not be relevant anymore, so if the iBook now sports a bright screen, please correct me.