10.4.3 update crashes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here is my nightmare. I reformatted my main HD and installed Tiger, then the 10.4.2 combo update and all is well. Did permissions, then installed the 10.4.3 combo update and on restart my screan went grey with a lot of jiberosh writing everywhere and frozen screen. Had to start all over but this time I didn't use the 10.4.3 combo, just the standard update. It did the same thing. Now I erased my HD again and started over again, this time doing the update through my software update and still the same problem. I didn't install anything but the operating system so there shouldn't be any conflict??? I have 10.4.3 working on another HD with all my apps no problem, so why this nightmare. Note on my second HD I had the same problem, but by doing the software update I was okay.???HELP.......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    What do you mean by "jiberosh" (sic)?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

What do you mean by "jiberosh" (sic)?

A whole bunch of text across the screen like pc's have when booting up, with a large square greyed out box in the centre, with the whole screen frozen.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Hi

He means a Kernal Panic and has to do a forced restart without any other choice.

I would suggest to simply apply the 10.4.3 combo and just forget about the 10.4.2 combo which is not needed.

I have had to do a full re-install due to some problems.

What I did was firstly startup from the DVD and erase and install the 10.4 system and run the updates which included 10.4.3 combo and all others that showed up in software update and all has been rather well since.

That has been almost six weeks so far.

I hope this helps

Rob 8)
  • Reply 4 of 12
    rob05au

I just reformated the HD to zero, Installed the TIGER DVD, did permissions, then went straight to the 10.4.3 combo. I got Kernal panick.??? I emailed Firmtek to see if there is a firmware update for their ?SeriTek/1V4?. Maybe that could be my problem???
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Hi

That could be a rather big possibility as third party items have been known to cause kernal panics at various times.

Good luck

Rob
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by inukshuk

rob05au

I just reformated the HD to zero, Installed the TIGER DVD, did permissions, then went straight to the 10.4.3 combo. I got Kernal panick.??? I emailed Firmtek to see if there is a firmware update for their ?SeriTek/1V4?. Maybe that could be my problem???

Added hardware is always the first suspect in kernel panics. Pull that card and reboot.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Added hardware is always the first suspect in kernel panics. Pull that card and reboot.

One problem all my drives are on that card.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by inukshuk

One problem all my drives are on that card.

OIC. You have SATA drives only, and the mobo is PATA.

Hmmm - well unless you have a firewire drive or iPod to boot from, better call the card company. Or rush out and get a firewire drive for now until they fix the firmware/driver issue with the card.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I still have my original drive with OS 10.3.6 installed on it. I may just have to put it in to be able to disconnect the card. This is what FirmTek told me tonight.

We have so far no problem reported under 10.4.3. There were changes

from 10.4.2, but as far as I know, none did affect us. To make sure

everything is up-to date, please "flash" your card with the 5.1.3

firmware upgrade (in theory the difference between 5.1.0 what you have

and 5.13 is only cosmetic, but let's try). The flash procedure is as

follows:

- shut down the machine and disconnect the drives

- turn the machine on

- run the firmware update

- run FSCApp_Tiger (if the OS is 10.4.0 or later) or FSCApp_Panther (if

it is an earlier version).

- shut the machine down, connect the drives and turn it on.

I guess this is what I will have to do.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Good Luck with it and I hope it does help.

It may also be caused by one the drives that is connected you could also try disconnecting all but the boot drive and boot with it alone and see if it happens and then try one of the others at a time.

This may also narrow down the possibilities and in fact may just help to find the problem.

Rob
  • Reply 11 of 12
    One thing not to forget. All the drives work okay up to 10.4.2. That's what's weird about all this. But Hey
  • Reply 12 of 12
    After the firmware update for Firmteks SeriTek/1V4 I still had the same issues, but eventualy resolved it by erasing the HD then doing a restore from Disk Utility and it worked. Been a hard week.