Mensa

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hi. Great forum, first post, long time lurker etc etc

I took their test and qualified. But I don´t know if I should join. So please help me out here.

Firstly: What are the benefits of being a member? What are the activities in there?

Secondly: What are your views on it? Is it good to have such an organization in society? Are you an arrogant twit if you are an member?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Eight inches.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Psh. 214.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I don't know the mensa club. Perhaps in a good day I could qualify with a small drop of chance.

The question is :

Do you want to join them ?

Does the mensa club will bring you some happyness ?

I belong in some clubs :

- Lion's club

- golf club

- and here

I belong to the Lion's club, mainly because I wanted to be integrated in my town ( I came from an another town). The club push me to do services for others (in order to collect money against cancer and things like that ) and I must admit that even if it's a good thing, it's not particulary my pleasure. I also discover new friends, that I would have never meet otherwise, and that's a good thing.

The others clubs are different, because it's place where I share my passion : golf , photo and computers. It does not bring me anything for my job, or my social status, but I am very please to be here.

May be you could ask directly to the Mensa club, what does it bring to you ?

- intelligent discussions ? : sure, but there is others places, and personally, passion is more important than intelligence.

- feeling to belong to a different class ? Intelligence is not an achievement in itself in life. Intelligence is a gift and a tool who can help you achieve great things in life, but you have to use it, or it's worthless.

Perhaps there is other advantages to belong to the mensa club, but you have to ask them. It's up to you.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Quote:

Hi. Great forum, first post, long time lurker etc etc

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum!

Hope you like it here. I've only been here for a month or two, although I've been learning about my Apple exponentially -

Two months ago, I bought a Powerbook.

last month, I learnt how to connect it to the internet.

This month, I've learnt how to open the Powerbook after I closed it the first time.

Well anyhows, Mensa isn't for everyone (I can't figure out why they didn't want me...). A few kids in the neighbourhood like this sort of thing - most tend to be bright and like their studies, as well as chess. Their parents seem to like Mensa, although the kids don't get out and do fun things like motocross or mix with the other kids in the neighbourhood.

By all means, join it and let the rest of us know what it's like. I imagine it's a bit like joining American Express, or the AA, or maybe the Hilton Hotel Club.

Good luck.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

I am a BASTARD. Let me show you!

Quote:

Originally posted by Hippie

Firstly: What are the benefits of being a member?

You get to feel betterer than stupid people.

Quote:

Secondly: What are your views on it?

You don't need to pay any organisation to enjoy that advantage.

Quote:

Is it good to have such an organization in society?

No.

Quote:

Are you an arrogant twit if you are an member?

Oh yes. Yes indeed.

Do they let you join without a beard?

Oh: it's normally correct to use 'a' rather than 'an' if the noun following the the preposition doesn't start with a 'vowel' ('a', 'e', 'i', 'o' or 'u'). Correctly it should be 'a member'.

I'm sure this was a typo.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I didn't see a link - is that the club girls join when they first get their period?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I didn't see a link - is that the club girls join when they first get their period?

No, that's Mensi. And don't you thing they should change the term to womenstruation? nyuk, nyuk.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Oh: it's normally correct to use 'a' rather than 'an' if the noun following the the preposition doesn't start with a 'vowel' ('a', 'e', 'i', 'o' or 'u'). Correctly it should be 'a member'.

I don't think that bad grammer or spelling are indicitive of a dummy - of course I have to think that.

My dad joined when he was in college, said that the club was full of assholes, and dropped out.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I don't think that bad grammer or spelling are indicitive of a dummy - of course I have to think that.

Nah. I said was a bastard and went on to prove it.

Hippie, only kidding. Welcome.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Justin

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum!

Hope you like it here. I've only been here for a month or two, although I've been learning about my Apple exponentially -

Two months ago, I bought a Powerbook.

last month, I learnt how to connect it to the internet.

This month, I've learnt how to open the Powerbook after I closed it the first time.

And just yesterday I learned that it's possible to argue a trivial point past the limits of sanity and into an eerie world of ever mutating assumptions and terms!

Oh, wait, that's PO. Carry on.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I considered joining once and then realized that it's for insecure intellectuals who somehow find chess to be more interesting than a game of Halo 2.

I just don't get these people.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    I would argue that it isn't for intellectuals at all. Highly intelligent people who don't like to think about things that actually matter.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Actually, it's a vowel sound, not a vowel itself. Trust me! I asked at last night's mensa meeting in between games of Go and stories of how hot our girlfriends who live in other towns are.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Actually, it's a vowel sound, not a vowel itself. Trust me! I asked at last night's mensa meeting in between games of Go and stories of how hot our girlfriends who live in other towns are.

So it's :

a dirty Harry

an Harry dirty
  • Reply 15 of 28
    No... Harry starts with an H sound. Herb starts with an E sound...

A Harry dirty.

An Herb dirty.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i just sent in my yearly dues to NAMBLA and MENSA last week. woot
  • Reply 17 of 28
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Actually, it's a vowel sound, not a vowel itself.

Correct; I was going to point this out.

It's "a university", because the "u" is pronounced "ju".

It's "a unibrow".

It's neither "an university" nor "an unibrow".

It's "an underestimated case", not "a underestimated case".

The "the" pronunciation follows the same rules. Where you would put "an", you would pronounce it "thee".
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Correct; I was going to point this out.

It's "a university", because the "u" is pronounced "ju".

It's "a unibrow".

It's neither "an university" nor "an unibrow".

It's "an underestimated case", not "a underestimated case".

The "the" pronunciation follows the same rules. Where you would put "an", you would pronounce it "thee".

It is always thee...
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i just sent in my yearly dues to NAMBLA and MENSA last week. woot

I honestly hope you are joking...
  • Reply 20 of 28
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

It is always thee...

Um. No.

Quote:

The word the is pronounced /ði?/ whenever it is pronounced as a distinct word, e.g.: In many but not all dialects, when the next word begins with a vowel (the onion) (compare with a vs. an).