Movie: "March of the Penguins"

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Who has watched this movie?

I found it interesting...amazing actually. Great photography. Morgan Freeman always fun to listen to. Quite a story.

What are your thoughts? Like? Dislike? What? Why? Why not?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    jamacjamac Posts: 962member
    Amazing. One can only admire the dedication of the people who made this film. Evolution at it's finest. A testament to the survival instinct of all species on this planet. Bravo.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I saw it last summer and loved it.

Andy
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Call me crazy but I really want to go to Antarctica. Okay, maybe not in the dead of winter, but still-- it's incredible.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Damn my female tendencies; I choked up all throughout this movie. It's so beautiful and grips your heart.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_Doll

Damn my female tendencies; I choked up all throughout this movie. It's so beautiful and grips your heart.

• Reply 6 of 22
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    What amazes me is how the thermodynamics of a creature living on 'nothing' for going on three months at -40 C etc., works -- we need that level of efficiency in our automobiles.

Hassan i Sabbaah: did you hear something today? wow
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

What amazes me is how the thermodynamics of a creature living on 'nothing' for going on three months at -40 C etc., works -- we need that level of efficiency in our automobiles.

Hassan i Sabbaah: did you hear something today? wow

We didn't hear it, but there's a huge, high cloud to the south east. Really dark and spectacular.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

Dude, there is no way in hell that I'm driving a penguin around.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

• Reply 10 of 22
    Well, it didn't take long for Hollywood to take that film and convert it to this:

Happy Feet ...

Tap dancing penguins...

Trailer
  • Reply 11 of 22
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:

Don't forget the egg! I'm sure the EPA would find some inauspicious placement for it.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Interesting thread crossover potential here.

I've just been reading about gay penguins.

Yes, apparently, as many as 10% of Adelie penguins make life partnerships with a penguin of the same sex.

What is being done to outlaw same-sex unions between penguins?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

What is being done to outlaw same-sex unions between penguins?

Natural selection?

( EDIT: I get that isn't something that would "outlaw" it...per se...perhaps only eliminate it. )

• Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Natural selection?

( EDIT: I get that isn't something that would "outlaw" it...per se...perhaps only eliminate it. )

• Reply 15 of 22
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I watched it the other night, and I don't see what the big deal is (other than that it was pretty and must've been difficult to film).

As an aside: I would really like to watch an animal documentary which doesn't include the phrases "And some will not survive" or "especially the old or infirm" or where I don't have to make my wife stop crying by adding to every bit of dialogue "...and then they died."
  • Reply 16 of 22
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Aha! Happy Feet and March of the Penguins are different films! Things are much clearer now...
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

My family enjoyed it, although my 8-year old daughter wasn't enamored with the harsh realities of life. The frozen egg didn't go over too well. The uncermonies goodbye to the offspring also didn't fit her idea of parent-offspring bonding. I guess something was learned-but it was a hrd lesson.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

As an aside: I would really like to watch an animal documentary which doesn't include the phrases "And some will not survive" or "especially the old or infirm" or where I don't have to make my wife stop crying by adding to every bit of dialogue "...and then they died."

• Reply 19 of 22
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    The voice acting was loony and totally pissed me off. It would have been easier to take if it was in the original French, because I could have somewhat ignored the subtitles. But it was dubbed. The rest (the picture material, music, etc) were great.

You US types don't know how well you were off getting a totally different script.

Even if you also lost the music.

While they didn't cover the gay penguins, they also didn't cover how penguins gather at the water and try to push each other in first to see if there are seals in the water. I hear they do this.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

or where I don't have to make my wife stop crying by adding to every bit of dialogue "...and then they died."

You are a true asshole.