G5 Quad and dual Video card question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I finally received my G5 Quad with the 7800 GT card. I also got them to remove a 6600 LE from another machine so I could push 2 monitors..lucky me My question is when I play(use) widgets that ripple affect only works on the monitor with the 7800 not with the 6000 LE..reason?

certainly not a big deal just a curious observation.

I hope this is the corrrect forum for this

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    a single GT 7800 video card support two screens, unless you have two 30 inch screen, in this case only the quadro FX is able to support two 30 incher.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

a single GT 7800 video card support two screens, unless you have two 30 inch screen, in this case only the quadro FX is able to support two 30 incher.

I don't think I described my problem correctly. I purchased the Quad with the 7800 GT..I originally had 2 monitors on the one card. In doing so you are splitting the Vram into 125 meg per monitor..I don't want that since my CGI demands require more screen redraw from my working monitor..so I purchased another card for my pallet monitor..the 6600LE but some (core image effect) not sure don't work..i.e...the ripple effect

is there something about the 6600 LE that doesn't allow all of apples desktop eyecandy to work
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by climber

is there something about the 6600 LE that doesn't allow all of apples desktop eyecandy to work

I don't know much about Power Macs, but it could be the interface through which the card is connected to the system. The 6600 LE should be perfectly capable to run Core Image related stuff, since it supports DirectX 9.0 (the technology feature set that corresponds to Core Image support in Macs).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Chances are ripple effect will only work on the greater of the two cards when using two cards competing for attention from core image. I also remember reading about turning core image on for certain cards somewhere. It may be competing in quartz 2D with your other card and loosing.

Do a search for Quartz Extreme in current hardware, maybe check out this little Quartz Extreme enabler, and the following thread.

http://www.johnnylundy.com/Quartz%20Debug.zip

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...Quartz+Extreme
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Do a search for Quartz Extreme in current hardware, maybe check out this little Quartz Extreme enabler, and the following thread.

I gave the enabler a try..it is on by default on 10.4.3 and you definitely don't want it off..no ripple effects on either card and jerky windows everywhere..so....and your thoughts that one takes over and that 2 cards can't use core image at once could be the reason.

thanks for the links
  • Reply 6 of 6
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I don't think it's because it has two cards. I think it's because it's two different cards. All your goodies are going to the better card.