iBook 13.3 on track for January

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Thinksecret is sure of it : http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0512briefly.html

Apple appears on track to deliver an Intel-based iBook early next year, sources report, and in doing so will replace its long-standing 14.1-inch model with a widescreen 13.3-inch display.

The 13.3-inch widescreen iBook is said to sport a WXGA resolution of 1280x720, serving up about 15 percent more pixels than the current 14.1-inch model. Sources also note that the 12.1-inch model will continue to live on in iBook form factor, but that its days are numbered as a PowerBook configuration. The 12-inch PowerBook was hardly touched with Apple's October revision, seeing only a price drop on the SuperDrive model and the elimination of the Combo drive version.

A 13.3 widescreen 1280x720... cool !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    I think ThinkSecret meant 1280x800 which is 30% more pixels than the 14.1" iBook.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

I think ThinkSecret meant 1280x800 which is 30% more pixels than the 14.1" iBook.

Widescreen portable+OSX = cash saying good bye to my bank account
  • Reply 3 of 53
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i like the thirteen inch size

on a powerbook though.

whats the point in widescreen though? is there one if u aren't watching a movie on it?

seems stupid
  • Reply 4 of 53
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Yeah. The resolution ThinkSecret is quoting is 16:9. Computer displays are hardly ever 16:9, but 16:10 (or, in the case of the 15-inch PowerBook, 15:10/3:2).

So they either mean 1280x800 or 1152x720, both of which are fairly common 13.3-inch resolutions.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

i like the thirteen inch size

on a powerbook though.

whats the point in widescreen though? is there one if u aren't watching a movie on it?

seems stupid

• Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:

Widescreen tends to work out as more usable screen space due to the way our eyes work. We see wider than higher.

Widescreen also works out as a more compact laptop.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

seems stupid

Is not stupid. ever noticed you eye sees wider than it does upwards - also widescreen allows you to view two pages side by side. Eventally, all PC content will be designed for widescreens, so it only makes sense to get widescreen now.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    *sigh* I hope it will become a 13.3" PowerBook. Having to deal with the way Apple cripples the iBooks (VGA out *please*, no PCMCIA, substandard GFX chip) would take a lot of the fun out of the form factor.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    My impression from the TS article was that Apple might go even smaller for the PB. They didn't mention this, but there have been rumors and analyst speculation that Apple would enter the subnotebook market, after the Intel switch.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    MacWorld starts on 9th January right!

Intel key Q1 2006 product launches will come on 6 and 9 January, respectively, it has been claimed.

First comes the debut of 'Yonah', the 65nm dual-core Pentium M processor, to be launched alongside the next incarnation of Intel's Centrino platform. So claim "a few Intel partners", cited by CoolTechZone.

The following Monday will see Intel launch its Viiv home media centre platform, according to moles from with Taiwan's hardware manufacturer community by way of a DigiTimes report.

The Viiv unveiling may well take place at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, though the sources make no suggestion as to the location of the launch. Curiously, the Yonah launch is said to have been scheduled to take place in India, though the possibility of a CES event too can't be ruled out.

The availability of 'Centrino 3' kit doesn't appear to have been addressed by the sources, but the Taiwanese moles reckon volume production of Viiv kit won't kick in until early February. Like Centrino, Viiv is based on Intel's Pentium M processor line - at least as far as small form-factor models are concerned - and Intel may prefer to push initial volumes of Yonah to notebook makers rather than companies producing the desktop machines. ®

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...onah_launches/
  • Reply 11 of 53
    I wonder why they are considering a 13.3 when the 14in widescreen panels are being used by almost everyone. I would think it would be cheaper.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

Widescreen portable+OSX = cash saying good bye to my bank account

PB 15" & 17".

*kaching*
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I wonder why they are considering a 13.3 when the 14in widescreen panels are being used by almost everyone. I would think it would be cheaper.

You answered your own question: "because everybody else is doing it."

That's not what Apple does.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

*sigh* I hope it will become a 13.3" PowerBook. Having to deal with the way Apple cripples the iBooks (VGA out *please*, no PCMCIA, substandard GFX chip) would take a lot of the fun out of the form factor.

Maybe a new small PowerBook will be 13.3" like the purported new iBook, but will be thinner, lighter, have PCMCIA, and a higher screen resolution (more pixels per inch)?
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Consumers tend to think 14" is a little small. I like Apple being different in ways but no at the expense of basic usage.

Differentiatiation in other ways is going to be key because Apple has no more "megaherz myth" drum to bang on.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Hopefully Apple has a better reason than just "Because everybody else is doing it." (And I imagine they do. I'm sure all options were thoroughly explored)

I can see Apple execs sitting around like the goth kids on South Park "Everyone is using 14 inch screens... bunch of conformists living in their conformist Barbie Dreamhouse world."

*takes long drag on cigarette*

"We'll make our computers with the ones that are 7/10ths of an inch smaller. That'll show those conformist bastards that they can't control us."

*takes another long drag on cigarette*

"God is dead and if he were alive he'd hate me."
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Here's a thought... the bigger ibook is going to become widescreen but come down to 13.3" (so not too close to the 15"), the 12" powerbook is going to be dropped...

With no overlapping sizes, doesn't this look like they might be unifying the notebook line?
  • Reply 18 of 53
    The smarter solution is IMO

14" Widescreen iBook

15.4" Widescreen iBook/Powerbook

17" Widescreen Powerbook

Great availability on all the panels.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    I'm just thrilled that the iBook will finally have a screen resolution beyond 1024x768, meaning it'll finally be a product I can recommend to people who do more than instant message. It's absurd that until now you've had to spend $1,999 for an Apple portable usable for professional applications, merely because of screen resolution. Hell, if Apple comes out with a portable that's both inexpensive and usable (for graphics and pro apps), I might even get one for myself. Would sure beat lugging my 20" iMac around!
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Hopefully Apple has a better reason than just "Because everybody else is doing it." (And I imagine they do. I'm sure all options were thoroughly explored)

Yeah, just trying to imply that smaller screen means smaller, more portable notebook. Laptops seem to be limited by screen size nowadays. Even if iBooks are less than an inch smaller, if Apple can make them thinner and lighter than the competition, they'll have differentiated their product.

Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

I can see Apple execs sitting around like the goth kids on South Park "Everyone is using 14 inch screens... bunch of conformists living in their conformist Barbie Dreamhouse world."

*takes long drag on cigarette*

"We'll make our computers with the ones that are 7/10ths of an inch smaller. That'll show those conformist bastards that they can't control us."

*takes another long drag on cigarette*

"God is dead and if he were alive he'd hate me."

You do that so well!