iBook 13.3 on track for January

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

i like the thirteen inch size

on a powerbook though.

whats the point in widescreen though? is there one if u aren't watching a movie on it?

seems stupid

why wouldnt u be able to watch a movie in it?

good resolution, good screen.. an "ok" graphix card.. i guess thats enough
  • Reply 22 of 53
    not to mention that the cheapest ibook has a graphix card with dedicated memory .. something that alot of brands doesnt provide..

i dont think apple would go a step backwards...

i think apple might make the ibook as a thin,light laptop rather than a cheap peice of plastic.. so the laptops with smaller sizes would be ibooks .. and the larger r powerbooks..

btw.. i dont think that apple would let "sony S580" be any better than their systems.. expect a challenge..
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Saud

not to mention that the cheapest ibook has a graphix card with dedicated memory .. something that alot of brands doesnt provide..

i dont think apple would go a step backwards...

i think apple might make the ibook as a thin,light laptop rather than a cheap peice of plastic.. so the laptops with smaller sizes would be ibooks .. and the larger r powerbooks..

btw.. i dont think that apple would let "sony S580" be any better than their systems.. expect a challenge..

Good post. I think Sony's best product is going to be a few steps behind Apple's worst...
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Good post. I think Sony's best product is going to be a few steps behind Apple's worst...

That's going to be tough considering that Apple will use, most likely, a second tier south asia sweatshop to assemble the hardware. There goes build and assembly quality.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Skills

Here's a thought... the bigger ibook is going to become widescreen but come down to 13.3" (so not too close to the 15"), the 12" powerbook is going to be dropped...

With no overlapping sizes, doesn't this look like they might be unifying the notebook line?

no, subnotebooksize powerbook for people who drive Smart fortwo's.

pay more for less
  • Reply 26 of 53
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I think the iBooks would go 12.1 or 13.1 wide, and then 12.1 powerbook will be replaced by a 13.1 wide ultra-thin model.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

That's going to be tough considering that Apple will use, most likely, a second tier south asia sweatshop to assemble the hardware. There goes build and assembly quality.

What/who do you think Apple has been using for the last 10 years? Hint: ASUStech.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    My guess is :

iBook : 13.3 (A thinner 13.3 ibook would perfectly replace both the 12 and the 14... ) and maybe a 15.4.

Powerbook : 12 much thinner, 15.4 and 17
  • Reply 29 of 53
    i think the new apple laptops will change the goal for each line.. more like what dell or toshiba is offering

1. ibook = not a conseumer laptop, but a thin and light laptop with fair specifications.. something like what would the inspiron in dell would offer..

2. powerbook = a high end laptop "more like an XPS or a tecra laptop" with all the best parts stuffed in a great machine..
  • Reply 30 of 53
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

PB 15" & 17".

*kaching*

I dont think so - iBook is $1500AUD, 6 months salary for me. Powerbooks w/widescreen $3199AUD - more than a years salary
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

I dont think so - iBook is $1500AUD, 6 months salary for me.

Are you sure you have a job??? $1500AUD is less than two months unemployement compensation in australia.

edit : Ah, OK... 14 years old... you should be lucky to get $250AUD from your parents each month!
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by belzebuth

Are you sure you have a job??? $1500AUD is less than two months unemployement compensation in australia.

edit : Ah, OK... 14 years old... you should be lucky to get $250AUD from your parents each month!

I think he means a after school job, like delivering flyers, packing shelves etc
  • Reply 33 of 53
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kiwimac

I think he means a after school job, like delivering flyers, packing shelves etc

Presumably. But even then, speaking of a "salary" is questionable.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Presumably. But even then, speaking of a "salary" is questionable.

Used to do papers, recently got upgraded to slicing and displaying fruit a veges and Woolworths - incidently, i can pretty much recite the advertisements that come over the PA. Is SO much fun, but it does give me money. But ill pay that, my reference to a salary probs is questionable. :P
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

I dont think so - iBook is $1500AUD, 6 months salary for me. Powerbooks w/widescreen $3199AUD - more than a years salary

You never mentioned any money.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

What/who do you think Apple has been using for the last 10 years? Hint: ASUStech.

I don't think, I know.

Apples were and are made by Quanta, BenQ, Compal.

Even if it were Asus, it would still be a long way from first tier Japanese makes.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

I don't think, I know.

Apples were and are made by Quanta, BenQ, Compal.

BenQ? News to me. Quanta, Compal, Asustek? Yes.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

You never mentioned any money.

True, but the oint is a widescreen iBook is much more affordable than any other Apple portables.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by pioneer01

The following Monday will see Intel launch its Viiv home media centre platform, according to moles from with Taiwan's hardware manufacturer community by way of a DigiTimes report.

DigiTimes? Aren't they the same ones that were predicting a G5 iBook last summer?
  • Reply 40 of 53
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I can't see Apple continuing to sell a 12" 4:3 iBook after they offer a wide screen model (as TS suggests). I think it's more likely there will be only one iBook; a 13" 1280x800 model with SuperDrive for US$999. Schools could still get them with combo drives for less. Perhaps later on, Apple would offer a 15" model with the same resolution (bigger pixels) for $1099.

One thing I think we can be sure of when Intel hits the iBook. It will be a newly designed Mac. There won't likely be two different screen aspect ratios.