iBook 13.3 on track for January

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

There won't likely be two different screen aspect ratios.

Except, of course, that the PowerBook has had not two, but three different screen aspect ratios for almost three years now. 4:3, 3:2 (15:10) and 16:10.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

whats the point in widescreen though? is there one if u aren't watching a movie on it?

seems stupid

actually, i dont like widescreens very much either.

for what i do, mostly reading short lines of text (in coding or web browsing), i always find myself wanting higher vertical resolution and at the same time wondering what to do with all of the empty space left on the sides.

'side-by-side documents' is a nice thing sometimes, but i rather have as much as possible of my code (in context) on the screen.

but i'll have to agree, widescreens portables makes sense with the dimensions of the keyboard etc.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Except, of course, that the PowerBook has had not two, but three different screen aspect ratios for almost three years now. 4:3, 3:2 (15:10) and 16:10.

True but Apple's recent trend is toward wide screens. Perhaps they will redesign the iBook with two very different ratios, but I'd be surprised.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tubgirl

actually, i dont like widescreens very much either.

for what i do, mostly reading short lines of text (in coding or web browsing), i always find myself wanting higher vertical resolution and at the same time wondering what to do with all of the empty space left on the sides.

'side-by-side documents' is a nice thing sometimes, but i rather have as much as possible of my code (in context) on the screen.

but i'll have to agree, widescreens portables makes sense with the dimensions of the keyboard etc.

Solution to that is to buy urself a cheap 17" LCD and VESA mount it above your book. That would give u ALOT of vertical res. That said, which would u prefer, an ibook with 1024 pixels vertically, or one with 1280?
  • Reply 45 of 53
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

I can't see Apple continuing to sell a 12" 4:3 iBook after they offer a wide screen model (as TS suggests). I think it's more likely there will be only one iBook; a 13" 1280x800 model with SuperDrive for US$999.

My conjecture: The 12" & 14" PPC iBooks will be sold as long as people buy them and there are some in stock, but the Intel iBook will be just the 13". The Intel model will be cheaper, too. It'll likely be a Celeron M, shared memory video, combo drive for $699.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

Solution to that is to buy urself a cheap 17" LCD and VESA mount it above your book. That would give u ALOT of vertical res. That said, which would u prefer, an ibook with 1024 pixels vertically, or one with 1280?

well, more is more.

i tried my brother's 20" widescreen dell in portrait mode once, but that was a bit too much...
  • Reply 47 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

The Intel model will be cheaper, too. It'll likely be a Celeron M, shared memory video, combo drive for $699.

i'll by one.

if it has dvi output too, i dont really care what the resolution/aspect ratio of the screen is...
  • Reply 48 of 53
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    come on..

with yonah coming up, they wouldnt put something less than a dothan in those systems..

stop talkin about celeron, this is Apple we're talkin about
  • Reply 49 of 53
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

My conjecture: The 12" & 14" PPC iBooks will be sold as long as people buy them and there are some in stock, but the Intel iBook will be just the 13". The Intel model will be cheaper, too. It'll likely be a Celeron M, shared memory video, combo drive for $699.

I agree, but wonder why not Dothan?
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Saud

come on..

with yonah coming up, they wouldnt put something less than a dothan in those systems..

stop talkin about celeron, this is Apple we're talkin about

actually, the celeron-m is dothan now.

i dont really know how things will be when yonah comes around, but celeron-m is a fine mobile chip anyhow.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    as i said in another thread : my guess is (remove $1 for each):

- 700 : 12" ibook shared graphic card - combo

- 850 : 12" ibook better

- 1000 : 13.3 ibook good

- 1200 : 13.3 ibook very good

- 1500 : ultrathin 12" powerbook

- 1800 : ultrathin 15" powerbook

- 2100 : ultrathin 17" powerbook
  • Reply 52 of 53
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    Laptops fill niches. The niche of the small, widescreen laptop serves the air-warrior. Next time you fly check out all the people trying to work on their 14" plus laptops while flying economy.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    I would hope that Apple replaces the longest-in-the-tooth laptop, the 12 inch Powerbook, with an Intel model. I'd say 13.3 inch widescreen, LED backlighting, slot-loading DVD burner, at least a 533MHz front side bus with 1.6GHz dual core processor, support for up to 2GB RAM, plus the usual suspects on the interface panel (DVI, FireWire 400, USB2, etc.), and at the same price the current 12 inch Powerbook sells for. And perhaps Apple could finally see the light and ship it with 1GB standard?