Investing in Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Good morning ai-ers.

So I have finally got the rest of an inheritance and am looking to invest. I've been watching the stock market fairly closley and obviously I've watch AAPL climb steadily. I also remember last year when the stock hit $80 it split.

I have two qeustions.

1) do you think it will split again.

2) would you buy stock knowing it would split soon?

Again I have a bunch of small oil company trusts that I'm looking to buy too but apple is something I know and love and want to be part of it but want to know when to buy.

ok traders lay it on me.

flick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Whatever you do, i wouldnt buy any until you've heard the outcome of Steve Jobs' keynote speech in early January.

Apple could go either way though, I'm not to sure to be honest
  • Reply 2 of 7
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    At the risk of stating the obvious, no one knows for sure about when a split will happen, etc., except the people with insider info.

For most big companies, you should expect the generally available information to be already factored in the price. If not, some professional who's job it is to follow these things will make it there before you, which will correct the price. Were things any other way, these pros would be leaving free money on the table.

Whatever you buy, if you don't have special information, you should buy a little at a time (constant priced monthly buys are the generally recommended way, I think) to protect yourself from short-term fluctuation. When the price is temporarily up, you get less shares. When it's temporarily down, you get more shares.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I don't understand why you care if it's going to split. Sure, it can be a sign that the company believes its shares are going to continue to increase, but I believe the general consensus is that the split itself doesn't typically move the stock in one direction or the other (see also: apple execs selling stock last month).

What's interesting about buying AAPL right now is what direction, and how successful the company will be in regards to media distribution, and it's power over the digital home. Solely based on computers and ipods, the stock may seem fairly valued, but there still may be room to get in. If, however, you think they're going to be the standard for tv/movie downloads and that will be a thriving industry or that they will leverage the ipod/itunes into the living room via a set top box and/or other technology, then get in now!

Personally, I got in fairly early and can't believe the stock has gone up so much. I see a lot of upside, but I'd be careful. The company certainly has a lot to lose.

Bottom line: it's probably a good investment, but putting tons of money into one stock is never a good idea. Put most of your money into mutal funds with varying cap sizes and/or domestic/international mixes.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Caring if it is going to split or not should not be something you worry about. Decide how much you wish to spend and then round up or down the number of shares from that. Your real questions should deal with how long you plan to own the stock, type and amount of dividends and how you feel about the company or stock. Most stocks we have are for the long term. We bought and said this is for the kids college education or retirement. Buying stock does give you a voice in the company (a very small voice) but for the most part you should buy stock that will make you money over either in the short term or long term, unless it is Disney. We bought because the shares had neat cartoons on them.

reg
  • Reply 5 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    their stock took a 5 dollar hit today. What happened? What news caused it? I told myself if it goes down 10 or 15, then I must buy. Around a thousand bucks of it. But it's so high now, 150% of just a few months ago!!! So...what do you all think about that? Think it'll go lower before Mactels? After them? (like it always does after mwsf)

And why did it go down today? Will it go down more?

Thanks AI/AAPLers.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

their stock took a 5 dollar hit today. What happened? What news caused it? I told myself if it goes down 10 or 15, then I must buy. Around a thousand bucks of it. But it's so high now, 150% of just a few months ago!!! So...what do you all think about that? Think it'll go lower before Mactels? After them? (like it always does after mwsf)

And why did it go down today? Will it go down more?

Thanks AI/AAPLers.

Perhaps it has to do with MS and MTV teaming up to release a new music service? I used the opportunity to load up on more shares
  • Reply 7 of 7
    A Bear Stearns analyst, and a Banc of America Securities analyst have downgraded the stock from buy to neutral, and from outperform to peer performo, respectively.

It has been riding high.

Frankly, I would not be surprised to see it stay there, or dip a little bit, and then depending on the MacWorld meeting, and what is announced there, and how it is received, to take another run up for a bit.

I am thinking about buying Apple, but if I do, I believe I will do so before any MacWorld Expo, as getting it when it is down some would be more sensible.

In the next few days it will be interesting to how this turn is responded to.