Powerbook Sleep Light

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anybody know how to dim this thing? It's way too bright and distracting in my room at night. The novelty wore off a LONG time ago.

I searched everywhere, doesn't seem like theres a fix for this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Cover it with masking tape...
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Apple > Shutdown.

or

Place it in its bag or whatever

or

Place a sock or a shirt over it at night
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Anybody ACTUALLY know how to solve my problem?

my iMac's sleep light dims because of the ambient light sensor located at the bottom knows that it's dark in the room, and in turn dims to let me sleep.

If theres no way for the powerbook to know, there must be some kind of hardware fix.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I don't think there is any way to "fix" this. I mean no offense in any way, but do you have really thin eyelids? I had a rommate once who used to have to cover every light emitting thing in a room. I used to think he was mentally sensitive to the idea of light being in the room... maybe not?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wolber

If theres no way for the powerbook to know, there must be some kind of hardware fix.

Yes, there is. Either disconnect the light or cover it with something.

I'm sure the dimmed light (using the ambient sensor) feature will eventually make it to the PowerBooks, but obviously not in your revision.

So unless you want to hack it on the software side*, just cover the light with a sock.

*) It is possible. If you run Linux, for example, the light is used instead to display hard disk activity.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

*) It is possible. If you run Linux, for example, the light is used instead to display hard disk activity.

The LED is connected to a PWM output on the CPU, which determines the brightness. I'm pretty sure, though, that you'd need to write a kernel extension -- or maybe even a patch -- to alter the brightness, and I have no idea where to look.

Fortunatlely, the Darwin Kernel is open source, so knock yourself out.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    or you can take a hammer and chisel and crack the LED.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

or you can take a hammer and chisel and crack the LED.

Um, how? By opening the entire case? You can't access the LED from the outside.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    My PB (1.67) has a sleep light which is 1 mm X 3 mm.

It's TINY.

In fact, I find it inadecuate. I loved the Clamshell ibook's sleep light, which didn't dim down all the way and could be seen from the front as well as the back. But my pb can only be seen from the front, and its cycle is long and I have to wait an eternity (relatively speaking) to identify the machine's state.

You can't be talking about the 1 mm slit of white LED light.

Are you?

--B
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Um, how? By opening the entire case? You can't access the LED from the outside.

Well, you crack the plastic covering the LED, thereby dispersing the light a bit more

Or you can take a sharpie and color the LED area black. Or use an Expo marker and color it, so you get cool colored lights when it is asleep.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Or you could just get a piece of white electrical tape, cut accordingly, and lay it on top of the LED.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    The idea isn't to take a hammer and chissle to an expensive computer, nor to hide the state of the machine with permanent marker or tape. I want to be able to identify if the machine is off or sleeping, which is usually the case before I pick it up and transport it.

All I want to do is DIM the thing. LED's can be really bright.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Or you could just get a piece of white electrical tape, cut accordingly, and lay it on top of the LED.

That would work if the LED was directly accessible.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wolber

All I want to do is DIM the thing. LED's can be really bright.

In Haiku Form:

And we have replied,

Write a Darwin Kernel patch,

Or use thin white tape.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Unless ^^^ has an apple logo on it, and Steve okay's it, I'm not wearing it.

SOL

Thanks for the humorous replies though!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    There must be some easy software hack to dim it because when my powerbook sleeps with the lid open, the sleep light dims. It's only when I close the lid that the light becomes more bright.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    OK, try this hack to see if your machine supports safe sleep. If so, when it sleeps the light will not light up.

http://www.andrewescobar.com/archive...leep-your-mac/
  • Reply 19 of 19
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Quote:

There must be some easy software hack to dim it because when my powerbook sleeps with the lid open, the sleep light dims. It's only when I close the lid that the light becomes more bright.

I leave mine plugged in overnight - the white LED light turns off. The power cable inlet lights up soft green: this isn't as hard on the eyes.

Alternatively, turn your powerbook 180 degrees around.