3G 40 gig / 60 gig Video

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

I currently own a 3rd gen ipod (with the 4 buttons above the scroll wheel) and the battery life seems to be going. I am thinking of upgrading to the black version of the 60 gig video.

What are the dimensions and weight of my current ipod?

Is this a good idea?

Ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    the new 60 gig will be the same width and height as your current iPod, and much thinner.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Exactly. Yours is 0.73" deep and weighs 0.39 lbs, and the new one is 0.55" deep and weighs 5.5 ounces (~0.34 lbs) while keeping the same height and width.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Thanks a lot...

You think this is a good idea? I was thinking about waiting until capacity reaches 100 gigs since my music library is at 109 gigs right now... it would be great to have all (or most of) that music with me at all times...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Damn, thats a lot of music. You might be waiting a while for 100gb. I would go ahead and get one if I were you, sounds like you need/could use it. You might also have to free up some space for some videos
  • Reply 5 of 10
    m1cm1c Posts: 47member
    If you are only using it for music save some money and by an iPod Photo.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Or you could just get the 60GB video because it has longer battery life. (that was a huge selling point for me)
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chad Shorebird

Hey everyone,

I currently own a 3rd gen ipod (with the 4 buttons above the scroll wheel) and the battery life seems to be going. I am thinking of upgrading to the black version of the 60 gig video.

What are the dimensions and weight of my current ipod?

Is this a good idea?

Ideas?

Now unless you really need whatever the newer iPods have that yours doesn't have, going out to buy a new iPod because the battery is almost caput is ridiculous. Btw, you're not the first one doing this. People have to stop buying so that Apple gets the message that people need an easier mechanism to change a dead battery on their own without sending the unit out to Apple. While Sony's new MP3 players (NWA3000) don't have the cachet , and some features, of the iPods, they do make it easy to open up the unit and replace the battery. Is Apple intentionally making throw away products for the sake of higher sales or do they lack the engineering talent to make a $300 item with a serviceable battery?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DVD_Junkie

Now unless you really need whatever the newer iPods have that yours doesn't have, going out to buy a new iPod because the battery is almost caput is ridiculous. Btw, you're not the first one doing this. People have to stop buying so that Apple gets the message that people need an easier mechanism to change a dead battery on their own without sending the unit out to Apple. While Sony's new MP3 players (NWA3000) don't have the cachet , and some features, of the iPods, they do make it easy to open up the unit and replace the battery. Is Apple intentionally making throw away products for the sake of higher sales or do they lack the engineering talent to make a $300 item with a serviceable battery?

I agree but what's the alternative without adding too much bulk?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Newer Tech makes high quality, higher capacity replacement batteries at a much lower price than what Apple charges. They provide replacement instructions or can replace it for you.

http://www.newertech.com/ipod

In January I replaced the failing battery in my 2G iPod with a Newer one using the instructions and tools provided and am very satisfied with the results. So you may want to at least explore going that route. And no, I don't work for Newer.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by DVD_Junkie

You do know it's nothing new in business to make disposable units? Car manufacturers among others do it all the time, and no one is complaining about it. It wouldn't be very smart business to make everlasting products, because then you could never sell new products or services. Electronics product's lifespan is normally 1,5-2,0 years, and iPod in normal use does that okay. And it's not that it was made impossible to change that battery, just hard enough that it pushes normal users to really consider buying a new one over just changing the battery. And if people still after all that consider it as a good product and are willing to buy another one, I think that it's really not a bad business move on apples part at all.