Apple developing new iPod applications for Windows?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer is shopping for software developers that can help it build "new complex" iPod applications for the Windows operating system, according to recent company job posting.

New iPod applications?

"The iPod Application team is looking for an engineer to create and develop complex desktop application software and the Windows system building blocks for iPod," Apple said. "This is a unique opportunity to join a small, smart, coveted, successful team and work in a fast paced environment."

Job responsibilities include "implementing new features in existing applications as well as developing new complex applications, as well as libraries to install and maintain software updates on iPod."

Ideal candidates should have "5 plus years of experience" and "excellent C++ coding skills on a Windows platform," Apple said. "You will interact with many different teams and individuals, including marketing, user interface design, QA, customer support, and other engineering groups."

Historically, Apple has not released applications for the Windows operating system without making the same software available on its own Mac OS X, suggesting new iPod applications are also on their way to Mac user.

Front Row to grow

In related news, Apple's Platform Experience Department is looking to enhance the company's new Front Row multi-media software to support new media types.

"Would you like to create software for a centerpiece in Apple's digital hub?," Apple asked in a second job posting. Responsibilities for the position include working "cross-functionally with other teams to integrate various types of media" and coding "highly graphical, animated interfaces."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is good that they're doing these.

That job should get a lot of applicants. It's rare that a programmer gets a chance to deal with such diverse departments. This is exactly the type of job most guys I know would jump at.

Most programmers work at code maintenance, a dreary occupation that doesn't expose them to much of interest.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    They could start with the dreary task of getting the bugs out iTunes.

Starting with the short name bug where it only produces 32 character names in Explorer.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    I'd like an "Install iPodlinux" button in the iPod firmware updater!
  • Reply 4 of 35
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuyutsuki

I'd like an "Install iPodlinux" button in the iPod firmware updater!

I think that iTunes should support Linux - although this could be detrimental.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Umm, not to burst anyone's bubble, but I think this software already exists, it's called iTunes. I don't see how this hints at new Software other than maybe iTunes 7, unless they rename it, which could happen since it now serves video. Can somebody please explain how this hints at new software?
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I think that iTunes should support Linux - although this could be detrimental.

detrimental how? for whom?
  • Reply 7 of 35
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tdamon

For Linux. Everyone would realize that KTunes and KAmp don't cut it, drop Linux, and adopt OS X.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

For Linux. Everyone would realize that KTunes and KAmp don't cut it, drop Linux, and adopt OS X.

Actually, it's the other way around.

Linux users want iTunes. I think that they may have it running on one or more distro's, though I don't know how well.

If it were available on Linux, it would give them less incentive to come to the Mac.

Remember, these people want Linux, but they also want some of the things everyone else has.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

...this could be detrimental.

I agree. Microsoft, in my opinion, has declared somewhat of a war on Linux and I doubt Apple would side against Microsoft. There could be a possible backlash of no more MS Office for Mac, and that would be a death knell for the platform.

Plus, how far into free and open source do you think Apple would venture? There's not as much money to be made (if any at all, except for song sales).

I personally think this new job announcement means that Apple is starting to evolve the iPod with more and more PDA-like functionality. It's the next logical progression. And no PDA on the market that I am aware of has a 60GB hard drive. It would be yet another reason to own an iPod.

James
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by JamesG

I agree. Microsoft, in my opinion, has declared somewhat of a war on Linux and I doubt Apple would side against Microsoft. There could be a possible backlash of no more MS Office for Mac, and that would be a death knell for the platform.

Plus, how far into free and open source do you think Apple would venture? There's not as much money to be made (if any at all, except for song sales).

I personally think this new job announcement means that Apple is starting to evolve the iPod with more and more PDA-like functionality. It's the next logical progression. And no PDA on the market that I am aware of has a 60GB hard drive. It would be yet another reason to own an iPod.

James

I believe that Apple has thought along these lines since the beginning.

It's a matter of technology catching up with the ideas they have.

I also think that the 5G would make a good game machine. The scrollwheel does a good job as a controller. The cpu is decoding H.264 and MPEG 4, so it's powerful enough, and the screen is big enough, with enough colors.

Some say don't do it, but I say why not? All it needs is to put these under the "games" category. It wouldn't add any complexity to any other usage.

The menu allows the machine to serve different masters without making it more difficult to use.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Some say don't do it, but I say why not? All it needs is to put these under the "games" category. It wouldn't add any complexity to any other usage.

The menu allows the machine to serve different masters without making it more difficult to use. [/B]

Exactly. The iPod does video now and it doesn't interfere with those people who just want to use it for music. A "Games" category with some decent games (gasp), in addition to some more advanced PDA functions, would simply mean that the device would appear to a broader market. There's no reason NOT to do this, other than out of sheer laziness and inability to understand the potential impact that a true "all-in-one" device could have.

I can see a "Zork" style game being popular on the current incarnation of the iPod, where specific choices cause a different movie segment to load.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by JamesG

Exactly. The iPod does video now and it doesn't interfere with those people who just want to use it for music. A "Games" category with some decent games (gasp), in addition to some more advanced PDA functions, would simply mean that the device would appear to a broader market. There's no reason NOT to do this, other than out of sheer laziness and inability to understand the potential impact that a true "all-in-one" device could have.

I can see a "Zork" style game being popular on the current incarnation of the iPod, where specific choices cause a different movie segment to load.

The only detriment to this that I see is that Apple would sell a few million more each quarter, making it less likely that you could actually GET one.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by tdamon

...for Apple. Linux is a competitor to OS X,
  • Reply 14 of 35
    This could just mean that together with moving to the ix86 platform, Apple ultimately intends to phase out Mac OS X in favour of Windows. This would cut their support costs, but obviously it does mean they have to go into overdrive porting their existing apps to the Windows platform.

I'M KIDDING. I'm just kidding.

BTW, GNU/Linux isn't really a competitor as far as Apple is likely to be concerned. Right now, they sell hardware. They get a little bit of money from people upgrading to the latest OS X, but I seriously doubt they'd care if everyone buying PowerMacs ran GNU/Linux on them.

If they did, they wouldn't be so paranoid about the notion that people might, in the future, buy OS X to run on whitebox Intel PCs. OS X is supposed to sell the hardware, not the other way around.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

You didn't need to add this!

Quote:

BTW, GNU/Linux isn't really a competitor as far as Apple is likely to be concerned. Right now, they sell hardware. They get a little bit of money from people upgrading to the latest OS X, but I seriously doubt they'd care if everyone buying PowerMacs ran GNU/Linux on them.

If they did, they wouldn't be so paranoid about the notion that people might, in the future, buy OS X to run on whitebox Intel PCs. OS X is supposed to sell the hardware, not the other way around.

I think people who don't like Windows would consider buying a custom made and using Linux - iTunes may help them with their decision. It's pretty unlikely though.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

This could just mean that together with moving to the ix86 platform, Apple ultimately intends to phase out Mac OS X in favour of Windows. This would cut their support costs, but obviously it does mean they have to go into overdrive porting their existing apps to the Windows platform.

Apple themselves just acknowledged that Linux was a competitor that they had to be aware of. So, let's not discount that. It isn't MS that Apple has to worry about as much these days.

If Apple comes out with cheaper machines this coming year, with the switch, it would make it easier for Linux people to move over, because price is their major consideration, other than just liking Linux.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    These two job announcements are the best news since, well the Mac Mini!

This means serious competition and the iPod team is being given their head to innovate.

I think together it means the iPod and iBox (or whatever the media center becomes) will continue to be "cross platform" and create that bridge for content providers and 3rd parties to develop products for ONE platform that plays nice with both PC's and Macs.

Apple will try to own the middle ware that adapts content and 3rd parties to a great experience and cool design that is relatively platform agnostic. The need for deciding on PC vs. Mac becomes less important.

Ah, you may say this is bad for the Mac, then. Au contrair(?). It means except for games, the vast unwashed masses will see the PC and Mac as relative equals and slowly evolve to the Mac. In the OS wars there will be no revolution, only evolution and the Mac has the best DNA.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    I hope updates to Front Row will improve QuickTime out-of-the-box, to handle divx, xvid etc of all varieties
  • Reply 19 of 35
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by starwxrwx

I hope updates to Front Row will improve QuickTime out-of-the-box, to handle divx, xvid etc of all varieties

Not gonna happen.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Remember, these people want Linux, but they also want some of the things everyone else has.

Yeah, its the "We want the free software and all that, but we also want all the good software, too, that we can't get on Linux. Well, we can get software that kinda is like it, but most software is written and designed by programmers for linux folks, so they have clunky interfaces and lots of extra 'features' and abilities, because we love being able to tweak every little thing, even if it makes it unintuitive and hard to use."