I have just heard the most amazing song.

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
And I demand that everyone listens to it.

It's a classic, and probably everyone's heard it already. But I never really got into sort of folky-type music.

It's Tim Buckley's 'Song to the Siren'.

How this passed me by for all my 34 years I really don't have a clue. It's total genius. Go to the iTunes music store and buy it, and if you don't like it I'll send you your 79p / 99c by PayPal.

Man. Talk about utterly, devastatingly heartbreaking.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    You know, you just reminded me to watch Lost Highway. Again. This song is on that film, and as you said, it's utterly heart-breaking. The guy has a beautiful voice.

Sigh...
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

You know, you just reminded me to watch Lost Highway. Again. This song is on that film, and as you said, it's utterly heart-breaking. The guy has a beautiful voice.

Sigh...

So did his son...
  • Reply 3 of 21
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    There's this horrible perfume TV ad that plays every year here at Xmas that has this same "here I am, here I am, waiting to boink you" refrain over and over. They never change the ad. It's not the same version as the movie, I believe.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 21
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    iTMS link.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    How do you link like that directly to iTMS?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    ctrl click on the song. itunes is a web browser of sorts.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Thanks.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Thanks Hassan. Quite nice. One of my favs in a similar style: Now Westlin Winds by Dick Gaughan. Unfortunately not on iTunes, but on the album Handful of Earth. And there's always Nick Drake for a bit of lugubrium.

midwinter you dig that folky stuff dontcha?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    It's okay, but I wouldn't buy it nor rate it four or even five stars. Do I get my money anyway?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Thanks Segovius for reminding me of that, I can remember the first time I heard it. It still floors me.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

Thanks Segovius for reminding me of that, I can remember the first time I heard it. It still floors me.

Yes. I bought it when it came out and loved it. I've been playing it a lot in the last few days. I'd never heard the original. It floored me all over again.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Bah! Blasphemy. Everyone knows the most amazing song ever is Golden Age by Kreator.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

So did his son...

Indeed. I'm a huge fan of Jeff Buckley.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Thanks Hassan. Quite nice. One of my favs in a similar style: Now Westlin Winds by Dick Gaughan. Unfortunately not on iTunes, but on the album Handful of Earth. And there's always Nick Drake for a bit of lugubrium.

OH yeah. I'm all about it. Spent the morning listening to Luke Brindley.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

Indeed. I'm a huge fan of Jeff Buckley.

I am just beginning to put this all together. I've had Grace on the iPod for a couple of months, and am thoroughly impressed. I have a Tim Buckley vinyl album in the garage, but no CD's. One to add to the xmas list.

So what killed Jeff, anyway?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

If you like Nick Drake, check Lucinda Williams' version of Which Will. Lovely.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

So what killed Jeff, anyway?

he drowned in the mississippi river... most likely on hard drugs...
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by grad student

he drowned in the mississippi river... most likely on hard drugs...

That's true he drowned but there wasn't a trace of drugs or alcohol in his system when they did the autopsy. I have an interview they did with his mom, maybe from VH1 or MusicMusic. I thought Tim Buckley died from drugs though... I'll have to go listen to this song.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    i bought it and didnt like it. 50 times. you know - just to be sure. when can I expect payment?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

If you like Nick Drake, check Lucinda Williams' version of Which Will. Lovely.

Thanks for the tip. I'd never listened to her, but it sounds nice.