Browsing websites that require IE6?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
How is this done?

I remember when Safari was new, there used to be tools to spoof IE as your browser, but I can't find any now.

Using Firefox 1.5 and Safari 2.0.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

How is this done?

I remember when Safari was new, there used to be tools to spoof IE as your browser, but I can't find any now.

Using Firefox 1.5 and Safari 2.0.2.

There is a firefox IE simulator, it is a plugin, dont know how it works but it is availible in the plugin repository.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Safari Enhancer

Or enable the debug menu in Safari.

This may work if the site simply looks for the browser's identification. If it requires proprietary IE6 features, then simply spoofing the Microsoft browser may not cut it.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Also: write the sysadmin, and if this is a site that you are doing any kind of business with, drop the CIO and/or CEO a line (snail mail).

If it is just looking at tags and blocking non-IE traffic, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

If the plugin is IE proprietary, then the site/app is most likely (probably inadvertently) breaking a few business rules set forth in the planning of the site.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Also: write the sysadmin, and if this is a site that you are doing any kind of business with, drop the CIO and/or CEO a line (snail mail).

If it is just looking at tags and blocking non-IE traffic, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

If the plugin is IE proprietary, then the site/app is most likely (probably inadvertently) breaking a few business rules set forth in the planning of the site.

You are preaching to the choir. It is an unfortunate fact of life that entirely too many people in mission-critical positions within their firms are unimpressed by our pleas.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Sic the w3c on their asses...

[sound of rabid hounds barking]
  • Reply 6 of 13
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

You are preaching to the choir. It is an unfortunate fact of life that entirely too many people in mission-critical positions within their firms are unimpressed by our pleas.

I can't think of one site that I needed in the past 2 years that is IE only - well there was one sub-site for la plata county colordo but they recently fixed it to work in firefox.

where on earth are you trying to browse?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I had to buy Virtual PC for one stinking website that requires IE 6. I tried Forefox, et al., but to no avail. shiira would actually let me log in, but had no functionality. I am told it is a DirectX issue with the site.

Is there another work aound. I can't stand VPC.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Well... if you have access to a pc remotely, you can access the system via VNC. There's some talk of Chicken of the VNC in the Apps fora and you could probably search to find out more posted here.

I've seen some intranets that were built around particular browser solutions, but it's been quite a long time. Nowadays there is no excuse for people not to step up and start building and maintaining standards-compliant and accessible sites. The benefits are just that compelling.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by mania

I can't think of one site that I needed in the past 2 years that is IE only - well there was one sub-site for la plata county colordo but they recently fixed it to work in firefox.

where on earth are you trying to browse?

www.uscis.gov - try to go to their "Case Processing Dates" - specifically here
  • Reply 10 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And it doesn't work if you just spoof the browser to WinIE6? This generally gets around any problems, since it's 99.9% of the time a validation issue, and not actually a technical issue.

Edit: Just tried it, and it bypasses the error. Whether or not it *works* is another matter that I can't really test, but...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

And it doesn't work if you just spoof the browser to WinIE6? This generally gets around any problems, since it's 99.9% of the time a validation issue, and not actually a technical issue.

Edit: Just tried it, and it bypasses the error. Whether or not it *works* is another matter that I can't really test, but...

i don't even think it blocks you, just a lame sniffer.

Quote:

We have determined you are using Netscape. Account Creation and Login are not compatible with Netscape 4.7 and some later versions. If you are using this version of the browser, we recommend that you use Internet Explorer version 6.0.

I have determined that Internet Explorer version 6.0 sux, and therefore you suck as well.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

www.uscis.gov - try to go to their "Case Processing Dates" - specifically here

I cant find any conponent of the site that doesnt run fine in Firefox 1.5 (latest build) on OSX 10.4.3 (and all subsequent patches)