Which apple desktops use AGP?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
First off, im new to apple and very intrigued. I have a 6800gt AGP 256 MB card in my PC. IF I ever purchased an apple desktop, which apple product, if any, would be compatible with my current AGP card ( thats in a windows system right now). thnx

-Paul

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Well, iMacs use AGP, but it's a soldered in "card", so no replacements

The newest powermacs have ditched AGP in favor of PCIxpress. So to get an AGP slot, you'd need to buy a used PowerMac.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    so, if I bought a used powermac, my current apg card(used in windows machine) would be compatable with it?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    You'd need to check with the video card manufacturer or with Apple to find out if there is an OSX driver for that card. (actually the responsibility of the card maker to make the driver, but Apple might know since they bundle TONS of drivers in their OS.)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    iMacs use PCI-Express now...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Mac graphics cards need special firmware. So PC cards generally do not work in Macs.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

Mac graphics cards need special firmware. So PC cards generally do not work in Macs.

Yep! You're going to have a lot of headaches getting a PC card to work in a Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    hmm, maybe ill just stick to their next ibook, instead complelty overhauling my entire computer experience.