Buying Cheaper music from iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I got on the Australian ITMS and songs on there cost $1.69. Why is this? Couldn't they just get on the U.S. ITMS and buy the same songs for $.99?

This confuses me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cato988

Why is this? Couldn't they just get on the U.S. ITMS and buy the same songs for $.99?

This confuses me.

The music industry licenses songs on a per-country basis. There is various reasons for this, but realistically, the main reason is for the industry to maintain some sort of price control and prevent cheap imports.

It is in fact illegal to import large amounts of music from another country.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cato988

Couldn't they just get on the U.S. ITMS and buy the same songs for $.99?

This confuses me.

No. You need a US credit card to be able to buy from the US store. Plus then there's the conversion rate USD > AUD.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

No. You need a US credit card to be able to buy from the US store. Plus then there's the conversion rate USD > AUD.

Not to mention taxes and customs.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    i didnt realise there was a tax on the zeros and ones that come from ANY AMERICAN SITE!!????
  • Reply 5 of 6
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

i didnt realise there was a tax on the zeros and ones that come from ANY AMERICAN SITE!!????

Why should there be a difference between sending you a cd with the same data or sending it over the internet?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Why should there be a difference between sending you a cd with the same data or sending it over the internet?

so then the tax isnt on the media? just the information?

i think its quite likely that the same percentages of tax as apply to CDs will be applied to a download, despite there being no ACTUAL hold in your hand media to tax/pay for.

i may well be wrong, but thats my gut feeling as far as the music business goes.